Active Topics

Administrator | Posts: 1,036 | Thanked: 2,019 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Morpog View Post
No it's really not. Webkit is becoming the nowadays Internet Explorer actually.
Never usable, always wrong, a pain, pre-installed but replaced with something better right after first start?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chemist For This Useful Post:
No it's really not. Webkit is becoming the nowadays Internet Explorer actually.
Nothing I've read suggests that. It used to be Opera > FF > Webkit > IE. No idea where IE stands now, and Opera's own rendering engine is dead, and Webkit > FF.

Also, an old deprecated version of IE is a great likeness for the clunkiness and total lack of usability of Sailfish Browser.

Posts: 6,436 | Thanked: 12,700 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Ängelholm, Sweden
Originally Posted by szopin View Post
nothing stops you from uninstalling browser, this is not internet explorer, how they manage updates is irrelevant (there used to be nightly build of browser on open repos, seems abandoned atm)
nothing new to build atm only private browsing was added.

Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
You mean they SHOULD be separate things. Judging by Jolla's track record of doing updates in the past, they see the OS and all stock applications as one big, monolithic block.
no, i mean sailfish-browser is separate project not showing state of sailfishos itself.

Originally Posted by bluefoot View Post
Nothing I've read suggests that. It used to be Opera > FF > Webkit > IE. No idea where IE stands now, and Opera's own rendering engine is dead, and Webkit > FF.

Also, an old deprecated version of IE is a great likeness for the clunkiness and total lack of usability of Sailfish Browser.
gecko will die some day also. mozilla now making new browser engine too.

The Following User Says Thank You to coderus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 485 | Thanked: 708 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Galiza
who the **** opens more than 3 tabs on a mobile browser anyways...
Everybody?

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Hariainm For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
I just don't get the dislike of sailfish browser, I kinda like it It's fast, smooth and who the **** opens more than 3 tabs on a mobile browser anyways...

But hey, I also liked grub on harmattan
Currently including this one I have 33 open

The prove of open tabs :

P.S. I paid attention that if anything is not implemented or implemented poorly, suddenly "it's not needed" and "never used". I guess next thing would be "but I can use curl in terminal to browse web"

Last edited by jalyst; 2015-05-22 at 13:28. Reason: Whole last sentence bordering on PA, but last portion took it too far

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ZogG For This Useful Post:

I still use Sailfish Browser most of the time. It may have a big memory footprint and lack a few features, but it renders most pages better than the other native browsers (in my experience) and it gets the fonts right. Also I don't have more than 3-4 tabs open at the same time.
No matter how often you keep saying how much you hate it you're not going to change my mind about it

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to 243kof For This Useful Post:
Posts: 423 | Thanked: 478 times | Joined on Sep 2014 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by Hariainm View Post
Everybody?
I know I don't. On my computer, yes, on my phone, no. Or at least very, very rarely. And that's not due to SOS, that's due to the fact that I'm more of a computer person when it comes to web browsers.

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by coderus View Post
no, i mean sailfish-browser is separate project not showing state of sailfishos itself.
Look, I am pretty sure they are separate development projects. I am also sure that they are looked after by two separate teams. And, judging by how things worked in my last job, I am happy to believe that the two teams hardly, if ever, talk to each other.

But all that is irrelevant. Why should I care about the internal politics of a random company? As far as I am concerned as a customer, Jolla has never released browser updates separate from the OS updates. By that alone, they indicate that they treat the browser as a monolithic, integral part of the OS. In that respect, they are worse than Microsoft, who at least release patches on a rolling basis. You do not need to wait for a new Windows to get a small security fix. Shame on Jolla, really.

Anyway, to get back to the topic, the comment was,

Originally Posted by Kake41 View Post
Anyway, SFOS2.0 should have a lot better web browser. The current stock browser is ridiculous and laggy. It has got even worse lately with every new update.
In light of Jolla's approach to releasing browser updates only with the whole OS updates, the above is a 100% relevant comment and this...

Originally Posted by coderus View Post
SailfishOS and Sailfish Browser are different things and not tied to each other.
...is, at least from the cutomers' point of view, not only irrelevant but, unfortunately, entirely untrue.

Originally Posted by ZogG View Post
P.S. I paid attention that if anything is not implemented or implemented poorly, suddenly "it's not needed" and "never used".
Yes, or sometimes even "outdated"

Web developers are using Webkit prefixes nowadays. Thats the same ******** when developers optimized their pages for Internet Explorers back in the days. Prefixes are always bad for versatility. Even Microsoft started to use a Webkit user agent in it's mobile Internet Explorer on Windows phone. Do you really want one rendering engine monopoly?

https://www.change.org/p/microsoft-m...facto-standard

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Morpog For This Useful Post:
Posts: 423 | Thanked: 478 times | Joined on Sep 2014 @ Netherlands
SOS browser has gotten a lot better IMHO when it comes to UI in the latest update. But yes, it's still slow to launch and it has severe bugs like not being able to zoom on certain pages or even tap links on said pages (the whole page just seems to freeze). A little tweaking in about:config makes it faster to load pages though, but yes, too buggy for general use. Which is why I've used Webcat in the beginning and am using WebPirate ever since it was released. Esp. after setting WebPirate as the default browser I'm even more happy with it than I already was. Sure, it's not perfect but for a normal end-user like me, it's more than enough for casual web browsing (which is what I do no matter what browser I'm in anyway)

The Following User Says Thank You to vistaus For This Useful Post: