Notices

Posts: 188 | Thanked: 185 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
I put up a small app which adds buttons to enable/disable cellular modem (ie. phone) separately from wlan.

I've seen couple of requests for this and its useful feature to have on flights or when you have real sucky reception and you wanna save little power and use net over wlan instead.

Find the app here: http://maemo.org/packages/view/cell-modem-ui/ and current instance here: http://maemo.org/packages/package_in...modem-ui/0.2-1

Package is available in extras-testing.

More details available in my signature as well.

Its also missing an icon currently, and I really suck at graphics, feel free to contribute!

cell-modem-ui: home | packages - status: 0.5.1-1 in Extras
nowplayingd: home | packages - status: 0.1-2 in extras-devel
custom-pwkmenu: home - no packages yet.

The Following 28 Users Say Thank You to tuminoid For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Works great. Thanks.

A suggestion:
It's possible to be multilingual: http://slexy.org/view/s2LG51iMnb

(I don't speak Spanish, but it's a nice language...)

The Following User Says Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post
Works great. Thanks.

A suggestion:
It's possible to be multilingual: http://slexy.org/view/s2LG51iMnb
I know, but I intentionally left it out from early releases for simplicity. I also don't speak required what 18 languages myself, so some serious help in form of translation contribution is required...

Or do you happen to know suitable strings already present in some other apps I could use?

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Originally Posted by tuminoid View Post
Or do you happen to know suitable strings already present in some other apps I could use?
That's the point: SystemUI already has suitable strings for the purpose; those strings above are taken from its po file.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Nice ! A quick switcher between GSM and 3G modes would be useful, too...

The Following User Says Thank You to fpp For This Useful Post:
I put up a small app which adds buttons to enable/disable cellular modem (ie. phone) separately from wlan.

I've seen couple of requests for this and its useful feature to have on flights or when you have real sucky reception and you wanna save little power and use net over wlan instead.

Find the app here: http://maemo.org/packages/view/cell-modem-ui/ and current instance here: http://maemo.org/packages/package_in...modem-ui/0.2-1

Package is available in extras-testing.

More details available in my signature as well.

Its also missing an icon currently, and I really suck at graphics, feel free to contribute!
Thank you so so much! The best 3KB I have ever downloaded. I feel so much better now.

If Nokia designed cars, the motor would always be running, because they would be meant to be always on the go. And they would only turn right because the use case to turn left wasn't intended.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to j.s For This Useful Post:
That's the point: SystemUI already has suitable strings for the purpose; those strings above are taken from its po file.
Sadly, the reason why I'm not using those is that upcoming service release isn't including those strings anymore Friend of mine confirms that for him they'd show up as logical ids, not anything user-friendly

So plain english until someone translates those for me

The Following User Says Thank You to tuminoid For This Useful Post:
Sadly, the reason why I'm not using those is that upcoming service release isn't including those strings anymore Friend of mine confirms that for him they'd show up as logical ids, not anything user-friendly

Wow... Wonder why Nokia are so hell-bent on removing this feature. Steal the strings from the current POs?
But, yeah, you do have a point about this adding on a ton of complications... I thought it would be "easy" because Nokia had left the strings in. Apologies.

Wow... Wonder why Nokia are so hell-bent on removing this feature. Steal the strings from the current POs?
But, yeah, you do have a point about this adding on a ton of complications... I thought it would be "easy" because Nokia had left the strings in. Apologies.
qwerty12, not to thread hi-jack, but could you tell me via pm or reply here, on how you got the reboot, top command, etc. into your power button items? That would be REALLY useful for me, as I'm constantly having to open xterm and manually type in all the commands to check things like that. THANKS!

2d

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK

I thought it was odd that Nokia would have a string to "Deactivate phone" with all its translations if they weren't using it, but it seems even odder to remove the string in a future release! Maybe we can grab the string and all its translations now, before it disappears. Hopefully copying a two-word phrase won't be seen as copyright infringement.

Tags
cell-modem-ui, offline mode, phone, use-time