Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
I recently ordered a "back-up" N800. I got a second N800 (instead of an N810) because I like it, I have a number of full-size SD cards, the parts would be interchangeable, etc., and I don't miss having a hardware keyboard.

However, I wonder if the N810 would be more future-proof. Mer, of course, is designed to support all N8x0's, but what are the chances that new apps (designed principally or initially for the "N900"), and even updates of current applications, would require a keyboard?

I'm not trying to get into a flame war on the N900 here. I'm really just wondering if someone with a better sense of app development and uses of the hardware keyboard has any insights that would make me want to sell my N800 backup unit and buy an N810 instead (or make me feel equally future-safe with the N800).

Up until now, I've never felt shut out of any apps for lack of a hw keyboard.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GeraldKo For This Useful Post:
The Hildon framework automatically pops up a keyboard when you click in a text area, so I don't see this as a problem.

This is only an issue with non-Hildon applications.

Author of TouchSearch -- web searching software for Maemo 5.

Mobile Device lineage: Palm Z22 -> Palm TX -> Nokia N800 -> Nokia N900

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BrentDC For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Originally Posted by BrentDC View Post
The Hildon framework automatically pops up a keyboard when you click in a text area, so I don't see this as a problem.

This is only an issue with non-Hildon applications.
It seems to me that the great majority of apps to date have been "Hildonized" -- yes? I haven't kept up with the upcoming development environment (except that I know it includes a lot I don't much understand the significance of, like QT) -- are developers still likely to keep Hildonizing, or will there be less of that going forward. Also, even though there's a pop-up virtual keyboard, is it likely that even Hildonized apps may come to expect keys that aren't on the virtual keyboard, like Fn and Ctrl?

The Following User Says Thank You to GeraldKo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 609 | Thanked: 232 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ the end of my rope
i wrote a post recently saying i thought i'd head in the direction of the n810, leaving my n800 behind. but on second thought, i can't imagine life w/o a d-pad. so i'll just look past my n800's hump and carry on happily. this sucker's sticking with me for a long time to come.

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
I just read two posts today regarding what I think the future of keyboards on handheld internet devices.

The first one was a review of the physical, slide out keyboard on the new Palm Pre... >> HERE <<

It’s really not good. My hands aren’t that big (I can type faster than you could ever dream on a BlackBerry, iPhone or E71) and my thumb literally takes up 3 or 4 keys on the keyboard. There’s less space in between each key than say, a BlackBerry Curve 8300 keyboard, and the texture takes some time to get used to. It’s a rubberized coating kind of like the Centro and Treo Pro, and while the keys are a bit harder (better), the coating could possibly get irritating as usage increases. It’s really such an important area that couldn’t afford to be messed with and we’ll admit it… we’re a little let down. You’re going after the big guns here, and this is kind of disappointing.

You can’t compete with RIM in the keyboard area and you can’t compete with Apple in the soft-keyboard area, so how are people going to enjoy using your product when the data entry isn’t perfection? It’s like buying a brand new Ferrari, but getting an Accord steering wheel. It’s not the end of the world, but it isn’t greatness.
The second was a review of the new HTC Android phone... >> HERE <<

HTC Killed The Physical Keyboard. Smart Move.
I'm thinkin' the future is leaning more toward a "soft" touch screen keyboard and voice recognition technology.

Personally, I wouldn't want over 30 points of potential failure added to my primary means of communication. The N800 IMHO remains the best "bang for the buck" now, and in the foreseeable future.

Posts: 46 | Thanked: 99 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Sydney, Australia
Without a keyboard you will have a great deal of difficulty using the most important Maemo application out there - Nethack.

Is it perverse for me to want to continue to put my T9 prowess to use? My perfect scenario involves a device (n800 will do) that will permit me to use my bluetooth enabled phone as a T9 keyboard. Will I ever see this?

Posts: 143 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Bradford, (England)
Originally Posted by lm2 View Post
Is it perverse for me to want to continue to put my T9 prowess to use? My perfect scenario involves a device (n800 will do) that will permit me to use my bluetooth enabled phone as a T9 keyboard. Will I ever see this?
lol, i've wished the same. t9 murders typing

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by lm2 View Post
Is it perverse for me to want to continue to put my T9 prowess to use? ...
No. I'm sure your grandkids will be fascinated with how you had to "text" back in the day.

Things are changing everyday. Because the N800 has the additional memory card and 5 more mappable hardware keys on its face, it is ultimately more "hackable" and will retain value longer than the 810... again, IMHO.

The Following User Says Thank You to YoDude For This Useful Post:
must say: if it weren't for tear+iden solution, i'd be so much more inclined to drop unnecessary $$$ on a data plan.

thanks again yodude!!!!