Poll: Should there be a single site that will tell you when community input is requested?
Poll Options
Should there be a single site that will tell you when community input is requested?

Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
qole

I agree, that is what I should have done, just didn't think about it. I've seen them nested on other forums and went that way with it.

Thanks for nicely pointing out a better option.

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
One single point to stay informed about all the maemo.org development are the sprint wiki pages.

http://wiki.maemo.org/Maemo.org_Sprints/April_09 summarizes all the activity that was committed for the April sprint and the progress done. From that single page you can find the links to the places where those tasks are documented and also to the current backlog and new proposals.

If you want to help out, influence the prioritization of tasks or push a task yourself, this is the place to go.

Last edited by qgil; 2009-05-07 at 05:49.

The Following User Says Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Also note that http://wiki.maemo.org allows you to watch specific pages and even get emails every time a change has been made. So you can get in your mailbox all the progress done in maemo.org development, commit by commit.

The Following User Says Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
So if I monitor the sprint pages all future request for community input will be organized through there. So, I can just check there as the main place council will request community input?

I guess if thats the page, I just fon't want to keep having the same discussions about who didn't know what when???

So council and community has decided??
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

Originally Posted by timsamoff View Post
I'm fine with posting here and not on the blog... I just need people to say so. Which, it seems, people are doing.

Having mailing list posts come here is ok by me too (we're already doing it here thanks to Valério Valério).

So, let me try to get a consensus from the Council.

Tim
Has council decided to use the sprint pages for this? Did council discuss this?

I am a little hesitant to use the sprint because it's not got a lot of visibility. However if this is where we must check for the information then I guess you can promote people to go there?
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

Posts: 234 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Cincinnati, Ohio USA
There should be several single points of contact. In that when you are looking for input, you should look for input from the relevant groups, but at a single point in each of those groups.

If you want end user input then you are silly to not post such in the announcement section here. If you want developer input then you should also contact the mailing list people (or irc or wherever they gather). I only visit here so I'm not sure what the makeup of the other mediums are.

I hope this makes sense, maybe I should have marked 'Don't care'. If I'm left to feel abandoned then that's the way my feelings will drift.

Last edited by TheGogmagog; 2009-05-07 at 14:15.

Posts: 1,605 | Thanked: 1,601 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Southern California
Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post
Has council decided to use the sprint pages for this? Did council discuss this?

I am a little hesitant to use the sprint because it's not got a lot of visibility. However if this is where we must check for the information then I guess you can promote people to go there?
No, regular Council correspondence won't occur on the Sprint pages... Although, we do try to communicate Sprint tasks that we feel are of greater community value. (Believe it or not, not everyone wants to know everything that's going on behind the scenes.)

I still think that this forum (or the Council blog) is the place to do this. No, I haven't had time to retrieve a consensus yet.

Tim

Originally Posted by timsamoff View Post
No, regular Council correspondence won't occur on the Sprint pages... Although, we do try to communicate Sprint tasks that we feel are of greater community value. (Believe it or not, not everyone wants to know everything that's going on behind the scenes.)

I still think that this forum (or the Council blog) is the place to do this. No, I haven't had time to retrieve a consensus yet.

Tim
Thanks Tim, I can see from attending your sprint meeting you are all busy.

I understand that not every piece of information needs to be sent out for notification. I am looking for these hot topics, like forum colors, or removing sub-forums, these are greater issues that effect the entire community. I guess I just feel like, that council can recognize these possible hot topics and move them to a more visible location where the larger community has visibility to discuss them openly and provide their input.

The Following User Says Thank You to penguinbait For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,605 | Thanked: 1,601 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Southern California
Too true.

Tim

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post
[Sub-forums] I NEVER ASKED ANYONE TO CLOSE ANYTHING, NOR DO I SUPPORT THAT.
A single central place asking for community input is a grand idea. But your specific point rapidly brings us to the nub of the problem: in this central place, do we highlight issues over Bugzilla numbering, labelling of people in Bugzilla, link colours on maemo.org, topics for the next sprint meeting, debmaster priorities, sub-fora in tmo, locations for the next summit, details of the SSO integration task, the sprint meeting process itself, what should be included in the community SSU, ...?

It gets noisy quick. What's relevant to one portion of the community - the structure of talk.maemo.org's sub-forums in the "Alternatives" section - is not relevant to the maemo.org staff working on all our behalf, or a developer working on the next cutting edge Maemo 5 application.

So it starts making sense to ask the big questions in one place (or at least point to the places where they are being asked), and have the more specific questions asked in the most relevant place (for the sub-fora of "Alternatives" that was in the meta-forum here; although it probably should also have been cross-posted in to those fora affected as well - I don't know if it was). But then, closing some of the sub-fora hasn't caused any ruckus, who's to know ahead of time?

If its a topic that involves the whole community, then I want you to SAY, HEY COMMUNITY, COME GIVE US YOUR INPUT. LOUDLY
The topics which do affect the whole community are few and far between. They do get posted loudly on the council blog, examples:

I am not saying to do this for ever topic, I am not saying everything that is done has to be put to a vote.
"Not every topic" - but who decides? Obviously, you're not happy with the decisions made so far, but at least recognise that people are trying to do what you want, and come up with better suggestions on guidelines/rules of thumb.

However from my understanding, the new theme was voted upon?
Not voted, no. Discussed. To a consensus. On the mailing list for community issues for Maemo. There is a central place to discuss things about the look & feel of maemo.org, voting for the council elections and it was maemo-community. That you wanted to be actively involved but didn't want to subscribe is unfortunate; and there's obviously a desire to increase participation.

So I am asking, I want my advocates "Maemo Community Council" to promote important issues up to the community for discussion in a consistent manner in a consistent location.
What we deem is important is put on the council blog. Personally, I don't think the organisation of the sub-fora of "Alternatives" counts as important enough to warrant a message to the whole community, when there are mechanisms within the affected community to discuss it; you disagree.

Suggestions for things which are ongoing, but may have been overlooked are always welcome to any council member (email, IRC, Twitter, PM), maemo-community, or even council@maemo.org if you can't find another way of getting in touch.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post: