The other morning I shut down my 770, and sat it beside me. Later in the day, I hear Nokia startup tune come from my tablet. I slid it open and sure enought, it was on. Has anyone else had this happen?

On a related note, if it were to be powered up, while the hard cover is still on, is it really running, or does it go into some sort of power save mode?

Originally Posted by kkwansj
The other morning I shut down my 770, and sat it beside me. Later in the day, I hear Nokia startup tune come from my tablet. I slid it open and sure enought, it was on. Has anyone else had this happen?

On a related note, if it were to be powered up, while the hard cover is still on, is it really running, or does it go into some sort of power save mode?
Haven't seen that problem. However in answer to the second part, with the cover on, it should be in power saving mode. Hoever even in power saving mode it still draws power, just not as much. It should last about a week in standby.

However, I just tested and couldn't get my nokia to power up while the case was on, after I pulled it out, and turned it on, it did complete the start up with the case on, so this is just strange. See if it happens anymore or if this time was just a fluke.

Originally Posted by rattis
Haven't seen that problem. However in answer to the second part, with the cover on, it should be in power saving mode. Hoever even in power saving mode it still draws power, just not as much. It should last about a week in standby.

However, I just tested and couldn't get my nokia to power up while the case was on, after I pulled it out, and turned it on, it did complete the start up with the case on, so this is just strange. See if it happens anymore or if this time was just a fluke.
So, with the cover on, it should never be able to power up? There were several times where I slid open the case, and found the device on. My initial impression was that the power button was pressed while sitting in my bag. But given what you said, then there is indeed something strange going on.

Additional info: It is currently running OS version 5.2006.13-7

Originally Posted by kkwansj
Additional info: It is currently running OS version 5.2006.13-7
I'm running the the older (december) release software. However when I tell the device to switch off, and it shuts down. With the case on it does not come back on when pressing the button.

If you have a box that you can do it with. Connect via wifi to a network and then ping the 770, keep the ping going while you put the case back over the screen. If the ping does not fail, it means that you're 770 doesn't see the case when it's on, and it's not going into stand by (you can probably test this by looking in the 1mm gap between the case and the unit to see if the screen is lit).

I'm running the the older (december) release software. However when I tell the device to switch off, and it shuts down. With the case on it does not come back on when pressing the button.

If you have a box that you can do it with. Connect via wifi to a network and then ping the 770, keep the ping going while you put the case back over the screen. If the ping does not fail, it means that you're 770 doesn't see the case when it's on, and it's not going into stand by (you can probably test this by looking in the 1mm gap between the case and the unit to see if the screen is lit).
Alright, I will monitor it the next few days and report back.
Thanks!

There are two easier ways to test this:

1. If wifi is connected, closing the lid should shut wifi off. Just slide the lid on and off; if wifi disconnected automatically then it sensed the lid.

2. Use the hardware zoom buttons, or really any other button you can reach with the lid on. Close the lid, press zoom 10 times, open the lid. If the dot on the i fills your screen, then the button was doing something and it didn't know the lid was closed.

This has been happening to me on the old December software and the new March/April software. What happens is that when you press the Power button, it powers up but doesn't necessarily turn on. So when you take off the case it starts loading without having to press the power button. But in some of my other experiences, it loads even with the case on. Very buggy....

strange that you mentioned that your machine turns on by its self. i have not notice my turn on but i have found that my battery was dead after knowing that i have turned it off the night before on several occassions. i know that or thought that i turned it off correctly but may be not.

Actually, I just tested mine a few times. If you press the power button like you normally would to turn it on while in the case, it still powers on. You can even see the light power on when you look at it through the side. I guess this is a bug they have to fix in the next update?