@claustn

I forgot to ask. As you are still using wip0.16, do you experience any issues regarding the incoming/outgoing calls? Thanks.

I have created the new (potentially last) build (wip0.20) which is available in my signature.

Including the connman-tools by default has fixed the bluetooth, but for be able to change the date & time we still need to re-install the timed-qt5.

So, this is it, I hope you find my work useful. (I have been using my builds as daily driver since wip0.13. And I am quite happy with the previous one wip0.19.)

I would like to say a !!!MASSIVE!!! Thank you to @mautz! Without him this build probably never happened. I had the idea how to bring back AD and HW acceleration with the latest Sailfish features and libraries, but he has the knowledge and with his guidance I was able to achieve what I wanted. So, again THANK YOU!

(Funny because I wrote 'my work' however I was only the hand who done what @mautz suggested. .)

I also would like to highlight @juiceme too who helped out at the beginning.
And of course everybody else who helped with testing the builds: @claustn, @sailor, @nickh
Plus @TheRealJohnGalt because I used many things from his repo.

Now I hope would like to go to OBS then I am planning to do OTA updates too. If anybody (other than me ) is interested.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to edp17 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by claustn View Post
About battery life:
I did a simple test with the wip0.16 tonight, with airplane mode on and nothing running (except Depecher in background I think), the battery decreased of 1% only over 7 hours. It seems better than my 2.0.4.13

I'll report other tests when I'll definitely switch to this new version.

Anything to make file transfer MTP work?
I have tried the MTP on wip0.19 and got the same result. I will try to look into it and report back.

Last night I also tested the battery on wip0.19. For me the battery dropped 2% over 7 hours but I kept the Battery Log open all night long and the phone probably was trying to refresh messages from whatsapp, messenger lite, telegram and email. (I put the phone into airplane mode so I am not sure whether these processes are smart enough to not wake up the device if there is no active internet connection and the screen is off.)

I am not sure whether this is good or not so good but I am happy with this result.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to edp17 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 635 | Thanked: 1,535 times | Joined on Feb 2014 @ Germany
Next week i'll have access to my N5 again, i'll ask in #sailfish-porters for help regarding the video issue and look into the mtp issue, if you guys haven't solved it until then.

@edp17

If you could uüpload a few files from your buil, i'd like to setup a test repo in my OBS account to check if the OTA bug is also gone.

If everything is fine, we'll ask for your own OBS account.

The Following User Says Thank You to mautz For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mautz View Post
Next week i'll have access to my N5 again, i'll ask in #sailfish-porters for help regarding the video issue and look into the mtp issue, if you guys haven't solved it until then.

@edp17

If you could uüpload a few files from your buil, i'd like to setup a test repo in my OBS account to check if the OTA bug is also gone.

If everything is fine, we'll ask for your own OBS account.
This sounds like a plan to me. I would be glad if the video is solved because I can pick up one of my dropped task. :-)

All of my work is in github. I am happy to send you the files but I think much easier if you take that you need from my github repos. There are some extra repos for my next work but everything is related has the hammerhead in the repo name. (As usual )

I think share my plans for the future as you may/will/can/want help in them .
(Apologies if some of this is a little bit off topic.)
  1. OBS and OTA for my Nexus 5 build:
    I would like to secure my work as an OBS build, reduce the used disk space on my computer and be prepared for the future OTA updates for my build. If it is interested for anybody else than me.
    Once my work is secured in OBS, I can start working on a build for my other device.

2. Anbox:
    Unfortunately the video recording issue has ruined my planned step which was trying to make the video working in android apks on Nexus 5. I wanted to try the video call with android apks, but if the video doesn't work in the native app, it won't work in android apps either. However if @mautz could iron this out with the #sailfishos-porter guys, this might be back on the table again.
    As @mautz said, changing the base to a newer might solve this issue, but in that case I will lose AD and won't be able to use the substitution apks.

...Unless we make Anbox working on the newer base.

A few days ago I came accross with a post on xda regarding Sailfish OS on Yu Yureka Black with anbox! This is an early phase and not ready for daily use but is something that we can try to progress forward.

I have contacted the person who posted that on xda but he was only using the Anbox package that was built by somebody else, birdzhang. (I remember this name from the openrepos as there are some very good apps from this developer.)
    Therefore I contacted birdzhang too and he confirmed that he used 14.1 as android base. So if we would like to try to utilize Anbox on Nexus 5, it might make sense to move forward to LOS14.1 base.

However this all sounds super exciting and I'd loved to work on porting Sailfish for Nexus 5 with this new base but unfortunately this would be complicated for me as the newer base won't install in multirom. (I don't really like the idea to build something that I cannot test on my device.)

In case of anybody is interested to try to build for LOS14.1:
    device tree LOS14.1
    kernel tree LOS14.1
    vendor tree LOS14.1

3. Sailfish OS for my Galaxy S7 (herolte):
    This is not really interesting for you unless you have a Galaxy S7.
    (I will not post about this here as not at all related to the Nexus 5 and will use a different base LOS15.1. By the way, should I/Can I open a new topic for this work? Is there any interest from you guys?)
    Once I have a working Sailfish on my S7, with birdzhang's help I will step forward to Anbox.
    I hardly can wait to start!

4. Sailfish OS for my Galaxy S2 (i9100):
    Pretty much the same as the S7.

Last edited by edp17; 2019-12-04 at 13:33.

I got a few questions regarding the AD.
The base I used in my build is CM12.1 which is Android 5.1 Lolipop.
  • Why does our AD which is KiKat 4.4.4 work on this base?
  • And why doesn't it work on CM13?
  • Does the AD work better on CM11 base? If so, maybe my original idea of using CM12.1 was wrong and I should have used the CM11 instead!?

Posts: 387 | Thanked: 707 times | Joined on May 2015 @ Italy
Originally Posted by edp17 View Post
I got a few questions regarding the AD.
The base I used in my build is CM12.1 which is Android 5.1 Lolipop.
  • Why does our AD which is KiKat 4.4.4 work on this base?
  • And why doesn't it work on CM13?
  • Does the AD work better on CM11 base? If so, maybe my original idea of using CM12.1 was wrong and I should have used the CM11 instead!?
Read this thread https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=98800
The user @matemana packaged AD for Nexus 4 and 5, try to contact him

The Following User Says Thank You to claustn For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by claustn View Post
Read this thread https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=98800
The user @matemana packaged AD for Nexus 4 and 5, try to contact him
Thank you.
I think I did. A few months ago I contacted a guy called matusala on xda regarding the AD. I think the two nick covers the same person as he told me he worked on AD for Nexus 4 and packaged it for Nexus 5 too.

Posts: 635 | Thanked: 1,535 times | Joined on Feb 2014 @ Germany
Yes, it's the same person.

I'm not sure if Anbox will work due to the old kernel version the Nexus has. But i only tried it once and didn't get far.

I'm thinking about trying to make a new port for the Nexus using cm16 as base.

I think that some things in the base android system have changed since cm12.1 so that AD isn't able to run, maybe reverting some commits could help to get it working, but it would be very hard to find out which ine to revert. Getting Anbox working would be much better, because many new Android Apps need at least Android 5.0 to work...

The Following User Says Thank You to mautz For This Useful Post:

Tags
hammerhead, nexus5, sailfishos, sfdroid