Active Topics

Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Originally Posted by deancatchpole View Post
I'm only talking about over wifi for the moment. But for the record I know I can make SIP voice calls over my 3G provider no problem.
Making SIP calls is one thing, receiving SIP calls on the same account is a different beast.

The fact that the Windows Linphone client successfully registers my account would rule those things out, wouldn't it?
Nope. Registering works one way (connection opened from your network). But when being called different ports are used (connection needs to be opened from outside into your network).

So as long as you are behind a router (and not in a DMZ) you run into problems being called (and possibly with incoming speech/video).

Try in a 'open' internet hot spot...

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following User Says Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Telegram..... !

Atm video is not possible on N900 - but hopefully that changes if more people use it.

Well, I've registered two Linphone accounts just so that I could try calling from one to the other. With the Windows client I'm simply trying to dial the 'username' of the other account (registered on the n900). It usually says the 'user is temporarily unavailable' and aborts.
Are you forwarding port 5060? You may need to forward another one too, as I think there's two ports required by SIP. I would have thought the Linphone help would explain how to set up your network...? There may also be a setting in the software to tell it that it's behind a NAT router. It's been a long time since I tried to do anything like this, but I vaguely remember having to do that with the software I used back then.

The Following User Says Thank You to skanky For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
What about Tox ? It is distributed, encrypted by default & zero setup. It also does not do any of the privacy invading crap like Whatsapp & co do and is fully open source.

As for audio and video chat - it works fine on desktop (tried Linux-Linux, but it should work just as fine with Windows & MacOS) and it can automatically traverse NAT, so no manual port forwarding is needed.

There are also mobile clients - Cyanide for Sailfish OS and a client for Android. But I'm not sure how far are the mobile clients with audio & video chat support.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
What about Tox ? It is distributed, encrypted by default & zero setup. It also does not do any of the privacy invading crap like Whatsapp & co do and is fully open source.

As for audio and video chat - it works fine on desktop (tried Linux-Linux, but it should work just as fine with Windows & MacOS) and it can automatically traverse NAT, so no manual port forwarding is needed.

There are also mobile clients - Cyanide for Sailfish OS and a client for Android. But I'm not sure how far are the mobile clients with audio & video chat support.
This:

http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...6&postcount=21

and this:

http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...2&postcount=23

EDIT:
Also, look at the issue tracker https://github.com/irungentoo/toxcore/issues/1251

720p video support on N900,SmartReflex on N900,Keyboard and mouse support on N900
Nothing is impossible - Stable thumb2 on n900

Community SSU developer
kernel-power developer and maintainer

Last edited by freemangordon; 2015-06-24 at 11:30.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,583 | Thanked: 1,203 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Everywhere
Why don't you try LINE app?

Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post
Making SIP calls is one thing, receiving SIP calls on the same account is a different beast.

Nope. Registering works one way (connection opened from your network). But when being called different ports are used (connection needs to be opened from outside into your network).

So as long as you are behind a router (and not in a DMZ) you run into problems being called (and possibly with incoming speech/video).

Try in a 'open' internet hot spot...
Well in the FAQ on Linphone it says the following...

DOES LINPHONE WORK BEHIND FIREWALLS ? WHAT ARE THE PORTS USED ?

Yes it works provided that the SIP server is kind enough. The SIP server powering the linphone.org SIP service is kind enough and guarantees correct operation behind any firewall.

... but I'm complicating things unnecessarily for myself here, and I don't want to hijack the thread with my problem. The Windows client situation is not that important to me. I really just to want see a video call in action on my n900 via SIP. Linphone if necessary, or I have a Callcentric SIP account that I know works with audio (I use it often to receive Google Voice diverted calls).

If anyone wants to help me out by trying to call me, I'll send you my Linphone SIP address via private message.

Thanks.

The Following User Says Thank You to deanrc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
Well, I've registered two Linphone accounts just so that I could try calling from one to the other. With the Windows client I'm simply trying to dial the 'username' of the other account (registered on the n900). It usually says the 'user is temporarily unavailable' and aborts.
try calling from n900

The Following User Says Thank You to nokiabot For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nokiabot View Post
try calling from n900
It worked! How stupid of me

I wasn't even sure how to do it from the phone. I thought I was limited to numbers like a normal cellular call. But, of course, you have the full keyboard available with SIP calls!

Thank you

The Following User Says Thank You to deanrc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Well in the FAQ on Linphone it says the following...

DOES LINPHONE WORK BEHIND FIREWALLS ? WHAT ARE THE PORTS USED ?

Yes it works provided that the SIP server is kind enough. The SIP server powering the linphone.org SIP service is kind enough and guarantees correct operation behind any firewall.
I CANNOT confirm this. At home behind a FRITZ I need to route the client ports through (to Win and Jubuntu client on different ports) and also on the road I need to put my wifi router to DMZ mode for that IP I am going to use with my N900.
Initiating calls always work, but enabling speech/video or getting called is the prob (even wkith stun and all tricks).

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:

Tags
sip videocall, videocall