Posts: 49 | Thanked: 112 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ Bristol, UK
Originally Posted by MINKIN2 View Post
Does anyone in the UK have a spare USB connector that they don't mind parting with?
Yup, PM your address details and I'll stick it in the post on Monday. The socket is all one piece.
Flash Player v10.1 (faked to v12.1) is here!

Taking pre-orders for dual PolarCell battery (~3000mAh) with Mugen cover for £50
Get a free giffgaff Sim with £5 credit here! Also 250mins unlimited txts & internet for £10 PAYG!

The Following User Says Thank You to sEKI For This Useful Post:
Posts: 9 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Vancouver, BC
I'll have to eventually fix my microusb port, as it has stopped working on me.

There are lots of guides about what to do once you have opened the device up and are working with the port itself, but is anyone able to provide more details on how to get the microSD PCB off to make the usb port more accessible? It's attached by a thermal pad by the looks of it. Should it just be cut off, and will I have to replace it afterwards?

I'm lucky enough for now that I have an external charger and two batteries, so I can do everything wirelessly using proftpd, sd cards, and ssh, but one day I'll have to plug it in again and I should be prepared.

It's a shame that there still isn't any comparable phone to the n900 after all these years. I'd like to upgrade, but there's nothing to upgrade to.

Posts: 49 | Thanked: 112 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ Bristol, UK
Originally Posted by Disco Cat View Post
There are lots of guides about what to do once you have opened the device up and are working with the port itself, but is anyone able to provide more details on how to get the microSD PCB off to make the usb port more accessible? It's attached by a thermal pad by the looks of it. Should it just be cut off, and will I have to replace it afterwards?
Wedge it off carefully with a very thin knife starting on easily accessible corners while pulling whole piece. It does require some force but be gentle and take some time... If you are lucky it should still be reusable. Just don't do it too often.

Fixing the port itself is another challenge and I wouldn't attempt it without soldering iron with needle like tip. Good luck!
Flash Player v10.1 (faked to v12.1) is here!

Taking pre-orders for dual PolarCell battery (~3000mAh) with Mugen cover for £50
Get a free giffgaff Sim with £5 credit here! Also 250mins unlimited txts & internet for £10 PAYG!

The Following User Says Thank You to sEKI For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Disco Cat View Post
It's attached by a thermal pad by the looks of it. Should it just be cut off, and will I have to replace it afterwards?
It's not thermal pad, it's plain two-side adhesive foam. You may unstick it by applying some force, and re-stick again. If if tear somewhere and/or doesn't want to stick again, you may want to glue it by whatever (paper glue, cyanoacryline, nutella anything you have at hand), just to regain stability of secondary board, as it's helpful during re-assembly.

After re-assembly it doesn't matter, as case is holding everything where it should be.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Hello there,
my usb finally fup. It had a strong connection, but the resident killer feline (see attachment) was stronger.
Unfortunately solder pads 2 and 4 are gone (aka data1 and id)
I've read alot of pages regarding reattachment, it was mentioned grounding id may interfere usb host mode. But where is the alternate solder point for id?
Help greatly appreciated
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to longuist For This Useful Post:
Considering current state of usbmode (or any foreseeable usb hostmode thing), you may safely ignore that warnings. It doesn't like anything will ever use that ID pin, and even if, there would be ways to force "detected" state manually

/Estel

// Edit

Cute cat!
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Thanks for your reply. So i will ignore the id...

Originally Posted by Estel View Post
// Edit

Cute cat!
Her luck

As soldering such tiny parts with big tools seems very difficult i decided to try my skills on a defect n900 i bought a while ago for cheap. Because every solder pad was gone, i decided to use a big usb cable.
Its pinout:
1 VBUS Red +5 V
2 D− White Data −
3 D+ Green Data +
4 GND Black Ground

For soldering I used this pic as reference:

In the attachment you can see the result. Unfortunately it didnt worked first, i found out the fuse was blown too. I had nothing similar lurking around so i placed a diode in its place.
After plugging in the device started to charge, even both drives showed up, but were not accessible. This is likely due to the n900 itself is not showing the dialogue to select connection type.
I dont know whats causing this, hope someone has an idea of what to check next.. /:
Attached Images

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to longuist For This Useful Post:
* (gentle) push *
USB data functionality still not working. The original pads (or rather the place where they have been) looks very scratched. So i tested that the data lines were not accidentally shortened to ground. They arent.
I have no more ideas, so i hope someone may have a clue. (as stated, drives show up, but are not accessible, on the n900 the connection type dialogue does not show up...)
help

Posts: 548 | Thanked: 562 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Germany
Maybe you unsolderd/damaged a capacitor

Originally Posted by longuist View Post
As soldering such tiny parts with big tools seems very difficult i decided to try my skills on a defect n900 i bought a while ago for cheap. Because every solder pad was gone, i decided to use a big usb cable.
or the problem is caused by a cold solder joint?!

It is difficult to solder such tiny parts with big tools - I made this experience by soldering my computer graphic card, too. You need a micro soldering iron.

Originally Posted by willi6868 View Post
Maybe you unsolderd/damaged a capacitor

or the problem is caused by a cold solder joint?!

It is difficult to solder such tiny parts with big tools - I made this experience by soldering my computer graphic card, too. You need a micro soldering iron.
You may be right. But i was very careful and it looked ok in the magnifier afterwards. Checked the connection with a multimeter too. I think it was already f...up by the previous owner... maybe..
When i have time i will check the connection with the pads on the back of the phone...

Even though estel stated that the id-pin is not read i am under the impression that the fact id is not grounded the mass storage mode is not working. I would like to test it but i dont know if there is an alternative point for it!?
And it would be great if someone who did already this type of surgery could check the photo, maybe i inverted the data lines?? (even its unlikely, checked it a 1000 times)
What i find odd is that its recognised partly. I would guess if one of the data pins is not connected nothing will be recognised.
no more ideas atm,.. /:

Edit: I think the diode is fried. dont know why. When i hook it to a charger the device still pretends to charge. But drives are not showing anymore. (Edit: Cables got loose because of provisoric state) Thanks Estel for console code, will test it if situation changes.

Last edited by longuist; 2013-04-19 at 00:42. Reason: added sentence