Originally Posted by jsa View Post
Here's the conference call recording to those who want to avoid third party interpretations and hear what exactly was said with context in place. Relevant stuff would be the beginning of Elop's speech and the Q&A.
40 mins of con call inc Q&A's and no mention as far as I could recall of meego, however customer experince for both h/s & s/w must be the best and it must also be ready for the market plus they want to crack the US market. This leads me to the conclusion Nokia are going to announce WP7 as the new o/s for high end smart phones unless there is some tie up with Android but I can't see any logic in joining in a fight with LG/Samsung etc.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to droitwichgas For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,259 | Thanked: 1,341 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
I'm trying to imagine what could happen if they would be able to port Qt to Android or Windows Mobile 7?
Simply to get a uniform development Environment... a new strategy.

I know. Not really possible. (Microsoft want to push .NET and Android is to secured and has a different concept)

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
The current strategy (S40/Symbian/MeeGo, with Qt being the common platform for Symbian and MeeGo) is relatively new and was expensive to follow, wasn't it? The new Symbian, making Qt what it is today, developing MeeGo, Qt-related changes to Ovi and so on...

If Elop changes it yet again, it's like burning money. No matter what he changes. (Some say MeeGo remains, but they will kill Symbian. Others say changes are for the US market only. Then there's those who claim to know it's MeeGo they'll let die...)
Besides, comparing Nokias offerings with those of its competitors, it's not the OS of any single phone out there (except the N97) that's bad. What they have a problem with is
a) marketing and communications and
b) services and integration (including things like the infamous Ovi Suite and various Ovi services)
These things wouldn't change really, would they?

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by NvyUs View Post
Windows Phone 7 out of the question b/c he talks about needing to be able to differentiate. there's no opportunity on WP7
hmm... I don't seem to fully get this.

Anyway, just now I had an idea. Releasing a WP7 phone that's able to compete especially price-wise with the other companies isn't such a bad idea. Releasing an almost-high-end WP7 phone (or maybe Android but this could be a bad idea in the end) with a very attractive price at the same time as the cutting-edge ultra-high-end (...) N9 may psychologically burn the N9/meego into the brains of the iphone/android/wp7 users. They'd know that Nokia has something competing with all the other mainstream high-end phones and something that has to be even better, which makes it much more tempting.

The n900 in comparison was the single high-end phone in its time from Nokia and it was competing with iOS and co. and lost because it simply wasn't iOS or Android, but something "strange" that doesn't even have an oh-so-good capacitive screen and portrait mode.

With an Nokia WP7 or Android phone in petto to compete with the other manufacturers phones, it would be more obvious to everyone that the N9 isn't built to compete but built to stand above them all and therefore be very tempting for people wanting something really good and really high-end (and not just for the Linux geeks like it was for the n900).

Its clear that they have a number of negotiations on the go with respect to potential eco system partners. This is a flinch test for these eco systems to see who will play.

Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
The current strategy (S40/Symbian/MeeGo, with Qt being the common platform for Symbian and MeeGo) is relatively new and was expensive to follow, wasn't it? The new Symbian, making Qt what it is today, developing MeeGo, Qt-related changes to Ovi and so on...

If Elop changes it yet again, it's like burning money. No matter what he changes. (Some say MeeGo remains, but they will kill Symbian. Others say changes are for the US market only. Then there's those who claim to know it's MeeGo they'll let die...)
Besides, comparing Nokias offerings with those of its competitors, it's not the OS of any single phone out there (except the N97) that's bad. What they have a problem with is
a) marketing and communications and
b) services and integration (including things like the infamous Ovi Suite and various Ovi services)
These things wouldn't change really, would they?
I think it is clear from the con calls Nokia seem to be right behind symbian for the middle/low end market it seems the high end/USA market they want to make progress in.

If meego sits above a symbian/WP7, or Android, OS I can not see, in the short term anyway, it will have sufficient market share to survive. However perhaps a Nokia WP7 smartphone/tab could take the challenge to the ipnone/ipad in the USa?

Posts: 95 | Thanked: 51 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ staffordshire, uk
nokia should send out a questionaire or set up a site to let user say want they want, as the way i see it if your not catering to users/customers needs then you have no place in the business world

It's not often the stuff i type is helpful/useful so say thanks if it is

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to try-alls For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by mikec View Post
Its clear that they have a number of negotiations on the go with respect to potential eco system partners. This is a flinch test for these eco systems to see who will play.
more than negotiations probably, given that they killed both the X7 and the nuron 2 so close before scheduled release.
really seems like symbian's gonna be the victim.

Originally Posted by mikec View Post
The annoucements set for the 11 Feb I assume all negotiations are complete, surely Nokia can not now delay this like they have with thier phones in the past?

Posts: 422 | Thanked: 320 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Israel
What about the idea of Nokia turning into a more hardware centric company?
I bet in the future we could upgrade our devices (I wonder if they'd be called 'phones' at all) just like we upgrade our PCs today - e.g add/remove hardware to/from it.
So how about Nokia going to that direction by shipping fully opened devices, stocked with MeeGo/Symbian, but with the possibility to install WP7/Android/Whatever on it, effectively making Nokia a hardware vendor?
Of course some adaptations would be needed, but maybe they could provide some quick means for that...

Just a thought

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to efekt For This Useful Post:

Tags
bye-nokia, i don't even, just shoot him, just shoot me, let's elope, lockdown, meego?fail, negatron dan, nokia defiled, nokia suicide, sell tulips, step 8 out of 5, the-end?, www.elop.org