Active Topics

Posts: 33 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Roma, Italia
ooo .. guys im really sure that this happened a lot to u guys,... alot of ignorant ppl tellin me how their i-craps.. are "better" than my baby (n900) ... it just pisses me off ALOT!
and pisses me off too that they think they have multitask... like seriously... wat apple has called "multitask" .... plz dude.. get outta here!

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
That's okay. Eventually we'll get our hands on that injection capable driver floating around, and you'll be able to do stuff like knock them off the wifi with deauth packets.

Seriously, just don't let it bother you. They may be stupid or wrong, but that's their loss. Let them have their shiny user interfaces and delusional beliefs. So long as they aren't in positions where they make important decisions, everything's okay.

Posts: 1,411 | Thanked: 1,330 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Tatooine
Don't worry - when you grow up you'll realise you won't have these feelings so much.

Posts: 2,473 | Thanked: 12,265 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Jerusalem, PS/IL
I might get hated for this...
Each device has it's own advantages really, I must admit, the UI on the iPhone is just awesome, Apple does some stuff the right way (most of the time that's advertising ), but seriously, in some ways the iPhone is better than the N900 (UI-wise at least).

The N900 beats the iPhone in openness, even though some apps and parts of Maemo 5 are closed, it's still more open than the iPhone, at least you can flash the thing in less than 15 minutes without banging your head on your keyboard, took me about an hour or two to jailbreak one for a friend :/

Anyways, these are my thoughts, I still hate that piece of ****

Posts: 33 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Roma, Italia
Originally Posted by MohammadAG View Post
I might get hated for this...
Each device has it's own advantages really, I must admit, the UI on the iPhone is just awesome, Apple does some stuff the right way (most of the time that's advertising ), but seriously, in some ways the iPhone is better than the N900 (UI-wise at least).

The N900 beats the iPhone in openness, even though some apps and parts of Maemo 5 are closed, it's still more open than the iPhone, at least you can flash the thing in less than 15 minutes without banging your head on your keyboard, took me about an hour or two to jailbreak one for a friend :/

Anyways, these are my thoughts, I still hate that piece of ****
mohammed... youre the man ... seriously... ure the biggest in the community... thanks 4 been so active!

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
They're ignorant toward your cause as you are toward theirs.

I'd say you guys are even
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
The problem in my eyes with comparing UIs is that it's so very much user dependent. I don't like looking at the iPhone UI, let alone using it (though lately I've started to get ridiculously in love with the command-line. There's like 10 file managers available for the N900 that have access to the entire file-system, and text editors to do any file editing necessary - yet I prefer combinations of cd, ls, and vi in terminal.)

So to be honest - the iPhone does UI smoothness and fluidity really well - I admit that. But UI as a whole? I just don't feel it. A better UI requires some standard to be compared by, but anything broad enough "usability", "intuitiveness", "convenience", etc, is linked to the user - usability is linked to user's uses (what they actually want/like to use their device for, and how); intuitiveness to the experiences of the user with previous interfaces they used, convenience to a mix of those and other factors (environment used in), and so on.

In practice, I think that the best UI is one that is flexible. It can start in a default configuration that prevents the average end user from getting in under-the-covers of the system, but it should be flexible enough to not only allow you to access controls or settings beyond what a completely unintelligent user would want to use for stuff to "just work", but also to let you radically change the actual structure or style of the UI.

As a limited example, as I understand it, the iPhone's UI has no desktop. It just has the existing rows or apps, which you can slide between. A closer to ideal UI would allow you to have the option of having desktops. Basically, like the N900 UI, but somewhere you have the option of just not having desktops, and instead have your homescreen be the menu, with the status bar appearing in that. (Then you'd have the option of determining whether you swipe up/down, left/right, either, etc, to scroll through the menu / app-list whatever.) I get that in practice this is more of a pain in the *** to code, and true complex customizing would require more willingness to fiddle than the typical person has, so you'd ultimately leave them with some basic options like above, and maybe a few possible over-arching UI 'paradigms' to switch between, each with a couple of options, but since we're talking about better vs. worse UIs.

But back to iPhone UI - I just don't like it. And I know others don't. So no, MohammadAG, I am not hating on you. I just think that UIs are too user-relative of a matter for any given UI to be called an advantage. I will concede that the iPhone UI is smooth, fluent, and reasonably usable. And that I can imagine other people liking it more than the N900 UI. But me personally, I know I enjoy the way the Maemo 5 Hildon UI feels more so than I ever enjoyed the iPhone's.

Originally Posted by emiliofab1 View Post
mohammed... youre the man ... seriously... ure the biggest in the community... thanks 4 been so active!
really, i wanna disagree with u...
Yeah the UI is nice and flashy but its not a mans device, it might be great to travel with because its very limited and with a tap u got things done, but with its limitations, the iPhone has nothing on the N900.
The iPhone can't begin to say it has multitasking and cannot be tweaked. i got an i phone then realized that i am paying monthly subscriptions for nothing. it can't do what my N81 could. besides sitting well in the hand and look good (cannot even change themes like a normal phone) The iPhone is useless, i thought the iPhone 4 was gonna be a killer but yeah i was wrong yet again

EDIT; sorry wrong quote, was meant for Mohammed

Last edited by superhero; 2010-10-03 at 22:14.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Grow up guys..

As you mature and (hopefully) get to know more parts of this society, you'll see that 'learning & mastering linux" is such a small parts of it. People will have markedly different priorities, background and talents than you, and you'll just have to learn to see the beauty in that and 'live' your life.

imho, to know and understand this 'phenomenon' is actually key to championing and advocating your own cause (FOSS or whatever that may be).
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 979 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ SF Bay Area
I believe the one way to win that game of phone (dick) comparisons is to not play at all. When my iphone flashing friends come and show of ther shiny little gadget into my face and pointedly tell me "My iPhone is better than your crappy Nokia", I quietly respond "Yes, yes it is". That usually quiets the ones who're looking to troll me.
For the ones who don't shut up, I log into their wifi, rdp into their Windows machines and reboot.
qgvnotify: Google voice and contacts notifier for diablo and maemo.

If you want to thank me, click the Thanks button.
If you'd like to thank my applications, vote to move them to extras.

Tags
the very, worstthreadever