email program that comes with os 2008 reads about 360 messages from my gmail account and that is all. once this group is read further send-receives are useless. how can i configure it to read more messages? i have more than 1000 messages in my inbox.

i also want to have it store the messages downloaded not to device memory but to my removable card. without moving them is there a way to do it by the first read?

The Following User Says Thank You to yenice For This Useful Post:
I had the same problem with the email client. I tried Claws (another email client you could download from Maemo). Neither worked just too many messages .... BUT when I updated N800 to OS2008 Claws working like a charm. No problem with 3000+ messages. In general, I advise moving to OS2008: Pidgin works better than older gaim IM, NPR media player works to stream, etc. I have not regretted updating -- usually I DO regret an upgrade!

Posts: 1,665 | Thanked: 1,649 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Praha, Czech Republic
I have more than 6000 emails in my Gmail IMAP and Modest (the default email application in 4.2008.23-14 and later) doesn't have any problems with it.
Do you have "Download headers only" activated?

You can start an X Terminal window and enter
export "CAMEL_DEBUG"="all"
to enable the debug mode of the mail library, and after that
/usr/bin/maemo-summoner /usr/bin/modest.launch showui > log 2>&1
to start the email application. Then try to connect to the mailserver. A logfile named "log" will be created, maybe it contains some errors (maybe not).

Posts: 1,665 | Thanked: 1,649 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Praha, Czech Republic
In general: Guys, if you have issues, please file good and valuable bug reports. Stuff doesn't get magically fixed. ;-)

I could not spare some time to see the forum answers before. Thank you for the answers.

"Download headers only" is activated.

log reads:
modest: failed to acquire osso context
modest: failed to run platform-specific initialization
modest: cannot init modest
maemo-summoner: summoning '/usr/bin/modest.launch'

my tabllet has:
modest 1.0-200.35-1
os2008 ver 4.2008.36-5

after that, i deleted the acccount and creeated another one wwith imap settting which workked llike a breeze. wonderful

Last edited by yenice; 2008-11-04 at 02:59.