Community Council | Posts: 680 | Thanked: 1,227 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Mbabane
you'll need to change the 'fake' supl server's IP address in /etc/hosts to maybe 127.0.0.2.

after making the change, either reboot the device or do:
Code:
$ sudo stop dnsmasq
$ sudo start dnsmasq
Btw, the supl proxy does NOT necessarily lead to a gps lock. What it does is to inform your gps/modem about the satelites in your area (without the gps having to find them on its own). the gps must still exchange data with the sats, and if it fails, you're not getting a lock, even though a satelite monitor will show a dozen visible (available) sats

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sicelo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sicelo View Post
Btw, the supl proxy does NOT necessarily lead to a gps lock...
Ok got it. But the command should output what is exchanged with the proxy/server isn't it?

Ok, Ill change the IP, reboot and post asap (tho a n900 takes some time to do so .-))

Last edited by ric9K; 2019-11-30 at 22:17.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ric9K For This Useful Post:
After IP change and rebooting:

No changes, no output from supl-proxy and immediate exit 214 after modrana has started.

Edit: the same happends with location-test-gui instead of modrana:
Right after reboot,
Using location-test-gui, number of satellites in GNSS mode before launching the proxy: 6 to 9.
Launching the proxy and relaunch location-test-gui in AGNSS mode,
Same number of sat and same exit without output.

When using supl.google.com directly ( set in location agps settings and with corresponding IP in /etc/hosts), I don't get more satellites but the lock can happen within less than one minute.

------------

(good/bad) Question:
On his page, the developper says:

Before running make you must change DOMAIN in src/cert/Makefile.am to the DNS name of you proxy server. This DNS name must match what your should entered in N900 settings below.
Does that mean that there is any hardcoded proxy name into the program after compilation that could not correspond to the settings we entered?

I searched into the sources but what I found might bi some old default or fallback servers isn't it?

Code:
~/prov/supl% grep -Rin nokia     

supl-1.0.6/src/supl-client.c:307:  server = "supl.nokia.com";
supl-1.0.6/src/supl-client.c:307:  server = "supl.nokia.com";
And as ,iirc, makefile is generated before making, it cannot be there, so what was used for compilation, I don't know...

Last edited by ric9K; 2019-11-30 at 23:04.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ric9K For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 680 | Thanked: 1,227 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Mbabane
supl.nokia.com is hardcoded, yes, and used when you don't supply your own supl server. this is not the problem you are encountering, since you do supply a supl server (supl.google.com) when running the proxy.

the supl domain name you created should be used in 3 places: (1) in the domain of the certificate you created, (2) in Settings > Location, and (3) in /etc/hosts. Can you confirm this is true in your case?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sicelo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sicelo View Post
the supl domain name you created should be used in 3 places: (1) in the domain of the certificate you created, (2) in Settings > Location, and (3) in /etc/hosts. Can you confirm this is true in your case?
Yes, I confirm it is absolutely true in my case.
I have deleted what was in /home/user/supl and then recreated with the instructions given in the wiki for the new domain name corresponding to what is in settings > location and /etc/hosts. Absolutely.

Then I'm not sure what's up. Perhaps someone else can try the wiki steps and reproduce, or you can try strace or other tools.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sicelo For This Useful Post:
PROGRESS --- so simple
Great, thanks, I installed and used strace.
A lot of ununderstandable things came out but,
I saw somewhere in the output "network is unreachable".
I switched the connection from wifi to gprs and it worked, a lock came in seconds.
Though the ADSL modem firewall is inactive, it is not working via wifi nor usb networking.
Any clue of the reason? (all prior tests with wifi were done in "phone mode" but without gprs internet connection)

WIKI
So now, I can add some infos to the wiki. I guess I shouldn't delete or add into your text but below it with an "edit:". Am I right?
Also, how can I login to the wiki. Seems not to be the same account than here. (searched on different places in maemo.org but found nothing about that).

Network problem ... no surprise there

Wiki - edit it as best as you see fit. Even if you adjust/remove parts of the existing text, if anyone ever needs to compare, Wiki has a history, like Git

I forgot how to create a Wiki account - I remember some things need you to register a Garage Account, https://garage.maemo.org/account/register.php

I can't be too sure if wiki was one of those, but it's possible. Maybe someone more knowledgeable will chime in

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sicelo For This Useful Post:
History, great, I can dive!
Ok, I'll investigate.
(btw, the url is https://garage.maemo.org/account/register.php, not https://garage.maemo.org/account-register.php)

The Following User Says Thank You to ric9K For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Yes, wiki should be garage account as well as bugs.
Share all one account.

Only TMO needs a different one.

And about network: I do remember that for A-GPS only mobile network is working on N900 (no idea why but it is), WiFibdoes not help.

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:

Tags
a-gps, nokia n900