Notices

Posts: 919 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on Aug 2006 @ /dev/null
Sorry penguinbait I have not been able to seend it out yet I just got off work...

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
No problem, I thought I had an email problem!!

Penguinbait: You perhaps have noted from my various recent entries in this forum that I have finally gotten myself a N800, one of the principal reasons being to avail myself of your recent window manager hacks. I was able to load OPEN-ROX6 onto my 770, bring it up with the extras menu, but it ultimately wouln't work.

Now I have created my MMC2 boot on my N800, installed OPEN-ROX6 in accord with your instructions (which worked fine on the 770), but while it seemed to install without a hitch, it doesn't show up on my extras menu. Any thoughts on why this might be, and what I need to do to rectify it? Thanks and regards, Jim

Penguinbait: PROBLEM SOLVED! In spite of your clear instructions, I'd forgotten to untar OPEN-ROX6 from root (/). I went back and re-did it and everything now works fine. Now to tackle WindowManager-ROX on my other (external) memory card. I don't think I'll ever play around with KDE as I've always preferred small window managers on my Linux distros, and if I do want a full-featured one, my preference is clearly for GNOME (which I have to fall back on with my Ubuntu installation).

I am not sure if this has been reported but I am sure is known...
Note to all that if you install any new theme and you have OPEN-ROX installed you will brake ROX... ROX will start just fine but maemo will take over as the Manager again.... so when you open a the rox-file manager you will get maemo not flux... and the applications and other things will no work correctle from openbox.
Maybe is in my incident but I replicated it in my 2nd N800.

Originally Posted by SeRi@lDiE View Post
I am not sure if this has been reported but I am sure is known...
Note to all that if you install any new theme and you have OPEN-ROX installed you will brake ROX... ROX will start just fine but maemo will take over as the Manager again.... so when you open a the rox-file manager you will get maemo not flux... and the applications and other things will no work correctle from openbox.
Maybe is in my incident but I replicated it in my 2nd N800.
I was not aware of this, I will try to make some time to test it and try determine how to recover. Can anyone else confirm?

FYI, I have tested this on the latest OS, and it all seems good. I also loaded new OS on flash/kernel/initfs, bootmenu, and I was able to boot up my older versions of the OS with the newer versions kernel initfs, openbox also worked under this condition.

I tried running new flash rootfs on old kernel and initfs and it does not work.

So there is no reason not to upgrade if you want to...

Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post
FYI, I have tested this on the latest OS, and it all seems good. I also loaded new OS on flash/kernel/initfs, bootmenu, and I was able to boot up my older versions of the OS with the newer versions kernel initfs, openbox also worked under this condition.

I tried running new flash rootfs on old kernel and initfs and it does not work.

So there is no reason not to upgrade if you want to...
I can confirm that I was able to upgrade early this noon and I am able to boot to my old kernel.

Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post
I was not aware of this, I will try to make some time to test it and try determine how to recover. Can anyone else confirm?
Yes, this occurred for me as well. Mine recovered by just setting theme back.

ooo yea I for got to say that :P stupid me... Yes you recover by using the default theme... But in my case "Brushed Theme" had to be completle uninstall before ROX work properly again.. also the Plankton Theme had to be uninstall..