Posts: 54 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Finland
[header] Hello world! [\header]

I would like to challenge Maemo.org members to post their wild ideas on how to Power-use NITs with imagination.
Just ask your self the question: "What would MacGyver do?" (...if he had a NIT). All he needed to do basically anything was a ball point pen, a paper clip, swiss army knife, duct tape, used candle, rusty nail or a dead squirrel. Now imagine if he would have had a NIT...

Let your imagination fly! You can combine the NIT with any other device or anything you come up with. The idea doesn't have to be tried and tested but that would of course be cool because then you could even post example pictures, advice or how-to-

The idea is similar to the "Push N900" (http://blogs.nokia.com/pushn900/) campaign, but this time all the ideas are displayed here and this thread applies to all NITs (N770, N800, N810, N900...).

Yours truly,
Richard Dean Ande... erhmm... I mean ezcola

For anyone who doesn't know who is MacGyver go find out and fill that gaping hole in your knowledge!!!

(I didn't find this kind of thread, but if I just missed one I apologize for the moderator. Also I was going to add this thread under devices, but since this thread applies to all the devices I had difficulties finding the right place to put this.)
Attached Images

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ezcola For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,635 | Thanked: 1,816 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Manchester, England
heh

you gotta set the scene A team style!
you are in a warehouse with box after box of n900s, some developers and lots of pizza, some chewing gum a hairclip and a squeeky toy.

you have 2 hours before the place is stormed.
hundreds of thugs are waiting outside to get you.

escape how...

The Following User Says Thank You to lcuk For This Useful Post:
I'll kickstart the thread with one example...

I was delighted to notice there was a software/s for working with car OBD2 scanner. One good example for that kind of software could be CarMan. (http://openbossa.indt.org/carman/index.html)
When you pair up for example Nokia N8x0 with OBD2 scanner with bluetooth ability (approx 50$) you have a NIT that can work as a car-computer even if your car doesn't have one. This works with almost every car in Europe manufactured from 2001 and in US even much earlier.

This is a nice way to extend the usage of the NIT if you ask me.

The Following User Says Thank You to ezcola For This Useful Post:
Using a N810 for controlling home automation...
One option is LinuxMCE.

From www.linuxmce.org
"LinuxMCE is a all-in-one open source solution that seamlessly combines:

* Media & entertainment with a server for music and video, plus a PVR (like TiVo or Sky+)
* Home automation to control everything from lights to heating with a touch-screen tablet or your mobile phone
* Phone system with video conferencing
* Security system that feeds live video to your mobile device during a security breach

LinuxMCE builds on the networking capabilities of Linux to create a home automation/multimedia/communication network. No other operating system has this capability."

Posts: 93 | Thanked: 52 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ Victoria BC Canada
let see... a bunch of expensive phones, geeks, pizza, chewing gum... Not much to work with, at least not MacGyver style. Maybe use the chewing gum to stick phones all over your body as some form of -slightly- bullet-proof vest. Maybe, with the right pictures, a really bad invisibility cloak. Maybe smear pizza all over yourself and play dead.

Now, if you give up on the A-Team/MacGyver scenario and go full-on geek, then we're talking about hacking into the GPS satellites or comm networks to get the bad guys to storm the spa next door. But then, you'd only need one, one geek, one NIT. The rest can just eat the pizza. And, what, no Coke?

Then again, with that many phones, you think calling for help might come to mind...

The Following User Says Thank You to fixerdave For This Useful Post:
Posts: 607 | Thanked: 450 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Washington, DC
Originally Posted by fixerdave View Post
let see... a bunch of expensive phones, geeks, pizza, chewing gum... Not much to work with, at least not MacGyver style.
You forgot the hairclip!

It's obvious. You break open all but two of the phones and take out the batteries, using them to make an explosive Lithium paste which you spread on a pizza.

Then you use the chewing gum to attach the hairclip to one of the remaining phones, place it on the explosive pizza, and rig it to act as a detonator when the phone is dialed.

You put the squeeky toy on the pizza to attract attention and throw the pizza like a frisbee out of the warehouse.

Use the last phone to dial the explosive pizza. All the bad guys will be thrown through the air and knocked out.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DaveP1 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,635 | Thanked: 1,816 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Manchester, England
o_O DaveP1, thats inventive!
the police will be arriving shortly.

The Following User Says Thank You to lcuk For This Useful Post:
Again one great idea from the forums...

Wouldn't it be cool to be able to use a external touch screen with N900?!?!?!

It would basically be a dock for your tablet that would expand its usability in desktop environment like @ office desk. Imagine the comfort of using the N900 with for example 8-10 inch touch display at your desk... actually it would probably look something like on the promo videos of N900 at http://maemo.nokia.com/videos/ ...after seeing the vids with N900+bigger screen in mind at least I'm drooling over the possibility to make it reality!!!

discussion on the possibility to use generic USB monitor with a NIT
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=34293

discussion on the possibility to use of MiMo USB monitor with a NIT: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=30309
Attached Images

Last edited by ezcola; 2009-12-03 at 12:18. Reason: added a picture

OK, one cool app for a NIT I really love is BlueMaemo.
This app lets you control your PC or PS3 as a bluetooth HID device.
It has different profiles for mouse, keyboard, PowerPoint, media, gamepad & PS3!!!

At the time it is available for OS2007 (Maemo3) & OS2008 (Maemo4) but it will be released for Maemo 5.

Link for the app: http://maemo.org/downloads/product/OS2008/bluemaemo/