Closed Thread
Posts: 6,436 | Thanked: 12,699 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Ängelholm, Sweden
@vistaus we're talked about call recorder, not call blocker. read words carefully.
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...6&postcount=99
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=103

The Following User Says Thank You to coderus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 496 | Thanked: 651 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by vistaus View Post
Even Apple can't top this amount of updates for a single device.
Apple have fewer things that need fixing ...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to strongm For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by strongm View Post
Maybe. But those things that do need fixing are on a grander scale.
And they have more resources to to throw at it.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
I think the upgrade to Qt5.2 is the main culprit for the delays. i'm willing to be patient. besides, it's not like the phone is completely unusable without update 9.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to droll For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
My personal impression of "all the things that need fixing" on the Jolla phone is that this is developing a life of its own and becoming an urban legend.

I have to use the Android phone my company dictates for work, so I use the Jolla phone weekends and evenings and the Samsung MO-FR during daytime.

Comparing the two on a daily basis makes me a lot more forgiving towards the little glitches Jolla still suffers from. There's exactly two real bugs in Sailfish at this moment (browser links and wifi issues) that I have to work around and fortunately can work around easily. Everything else is cosmetical, nice to have enhancements that take time and that Android sure didn't offer during its first year. At the same time, I find myself re-booting the Samsung phone because its keyboard gets stuck again, calling it names because of the idiotic behaviour of the front button and the strange settings logic, or finding that yet again I cannot perform an operation the way I want because only sailfish can.

What I want to say is that yes, Jolla does have its issues but no, it's not the only company on the market that delivers less than 100% perfect phones. (I'd never touch an Apple product, but I hear that they have issues, too.) And in direct comparison, the small boat from Finland does a lot better than one would expect - I'd rather use my Jolla all day long than take the Samsung to work.

The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
I just hope they haven't put all their resources on creating the Angry Birds Android launcher.

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
That depends on what needs fixing, right?

The whole Apple-UI and experience is geared for the few workflows that Jobs/Ivy design school thinks that user should be able to do. Those things are made very smooth and debugged well so there are not that many extra glitches but god forbid if you want to do something dfferently, you are pretty much swimming against the current!

In my opinion there's a huge gap of stuff to be fixed for an iPhone ever to became useful to me. Not the bugfix-kind, but the missing-functionality-kind.

Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
My personal impression of "all the things that need fixing" on the Jolla phone is that this is developing a life of its own and becoming an urban legend.

I have to use the Android phone my company dictates for work, so I use the Jolla phone weekends and evenings and the Samsung MO-FR during daytime.

Comparing the two on a daily basis makes me a lot more forgiving towards the little glitches Jolla still suffers from. There's exactly two real bugs in Sailfish at this moment (browser links and wifi issues) that I have to work around and fortunately can work around easily. Everything else is cosmetical, nice to have enhancements that take time and that Android sure didn't offer during its first year. At the same time, I find myself re-booting the Samsung phone because its keyboard gets stuck again, calling it names because of the idiotic behaviour of the front button and the strange settings logic, or finding that yet again I cannot perform an operation the way I want because only sailfish can.
I do not have such experiences with Samsungs as I have not ever owned one or used one for a lengthier period, but I have observed my wife's daily struggles with her WP8 Lumia device, and I have to say that appears to behave exacly the same way
There are almost every day mysterious glitches, many operations fail to work the way you'd expect them to, or are impossible to do... There are often glitches that force you to reboot the device to make it work again... sometimes stuck so that you need to remove the battery to get the device to boot again...

And just like iPhone, the WP devices are so limited, with so poor feature set I could not ever be satisfied using them. Just for basic phonecalls ans messaging, but there's nothing else I could use the things for!

What I want to say is that yes, Jolla does have its issues but no, it's not the only company on the market that delivers less than 100% perfect phones. (I'd never touch an Apple product, but I hear that they have issues, too.) And in direct comparison, the small boat from Finland does a lot better than one would expect - I'd rather use my Jolla all day long than take the Samsung to work.
Currently Jolla is the only company really listening to its customers, instead of just throwing a bag of features/updates to you twice a year. A bag of not-known/not-requested updates, containing possibly fixes to your problems but with no changelog whatsoever!
That's how these large companies treat you, not like customers but like cattle to be fed what they graciously provide.

In their eyes you are not customers, you are just serfs to be bound to their service network, you are just small gears and bearings in the machine that makes money for the companies. The devices are not made for you, the features are not there for you, all is cleverly made to force you tighter in their net, to milk you of your worth and identity.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by vistaus View Post
... we have had more updates so far than any other devices out there. Even Apple can't top this amount of updates for a single device.
Of course they must provide stuff since Jolla phone lacks so much features and has so many bugs and glitches here and there.

...Comparing the two on a daily basis makes me a lot more forgiving towards the little glitches Jolla still suffers from. There's exactly two real bugs in Sailfish at this moment (browser links and wifi issues) that I have to work around and fortunately can work around easily. Everything else is cosmetical, nice to have enhancements that take time and that Android sure didn't offer during its first year. At the same time, I find myself re-booting the Samsung phone because its keyboard gets stuck again, calling it names because of the idiotic behaviour of the front button and the strange settings logic, or finding that yet again I cannot perform an operation the way I want because only sailfish can.

Maybe the thing is that what is in apple device, works pretty solid. Same goes for WP (lacks also features but has not so many stupid bugs) and android too. Apple and WP have system-wise restrictions but that a whole different thing (and all knows that of course)

If someone has a not-working new samsung-phone, it must not be sw-prob in general, rather a faulty unit. -> not to blame Andro

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by andreas1 View Post
Of course they must provide stuff since Jolla phone lacks so much features and has so many bugs and glitches here and there.
No, it is just like @benny1967 said above, didn't you really read it at all?
What he said is that there's just 2 bugs that need fixing, the browser landscape-zoom causing links to be harder to hit and the wlan-accespoint-dropping bugs.
I agree with him, those are currently the only ones I can think of which badly need a fix.
(and both of those have workarounds; 1. do a small pan after zooming and 2. remember to switch your wlan off when not in need of it)

Maybe the thing is that what is in apple device, works pretty solid. Same goes for WP (lacks also features but has not so many stupid bugs) and android too. Apple and WP have system-wise restrictions but that a whole different thing (and all knows that of course)
No, not really the case at least for WP. (cannot be sure of iPhones as I so rarely have been using/observing those)
But the WP devices have lots and lots of SW glitches, bugs, hanging and misbehaviour.

If someone has a not-working new samsung-phone, it must not be sw-prob in general, rather a faulty unit. -> not to blame Andro
Specifcally Samsung does have these problems, and it is not because of Android, but because Samsung has TouchWiz which creates another overtly complicated SW layer on top of the Android.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
No, it is just like @benny1967 said above, didn't you really read it at all?
What he said is that there's just 2 bugs that need fixing, the browser landscape-zoom causing links to be harder to hit and the wlan-accespoint-dropping bugs.
I agree with him, those are currently the only ones I can think of which badly need a fix.
(and both of those have workarounds; 1. do a small pan after zooming and 2. remember to switch your wlan off when not in need of it)
I guess we reach the fundamental aspect of what is considered as bug/clitch etc. I have a long list of stuff that works in every other phone besides jolla. One for example is that various emails open blank white. Submission to "get around" is lame. The small things do count, at least to me.

No, not really the case at least for WP. (cannot be sure of iPhones as I so rarely have been using/observing those)
But the WP devices have lots and lots of SW glitches, bugs, hanging and misbehaviour.
I used for example Lumia 625 8.1 dev edit for a while and had a suberb UX - didnt encounter any bugs, just some missing features. The best thing was, it didnt lag overall in any use, as every other phone has done so far. Still came back to jolla cos of the deep love for the Sailfish UI

Specifcally Samsung does have these problems, and it is not because of Android, but because Samsung has TouchWiz which creates another overtly complicated SW layer on top of the Android.
Well yeah, manufacturers own layers provide some **** but didnt expreience in newer galaxy series from 2 to 5.

The Following User Says Thank You to andreas1 For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
edging, jollasoap, sailfish update