Notices

Originally Posted by zaheerm View Post
Thanks, I put a new optified gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg into extras-devel
You sir are my current personal hero, you just made my n900 so much more useful.

The Following User Says Thank You to ukki For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
zaheerm: thank you for the package, but the Maemo media player still doesn't play any extra videos, including videos that should play via ffmpeg. Is there something that you have to do that will make the media player use your package rather than simply failing with "codec not supported"?

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Originally Posted by qole View Post
zaheerm: thank you for the package, but the Maemo media player still doesn't play any extra videos, including videos that should play via ffmpeg. Is there something that you have to do that will make the media player use your package rather than simply failing with "codec not supported"?
I just restarted after installing which gave me thumbnails for videos that were not showing up before, and the videos actually played! Not sure what needs to be restarted in /etc/event.d, however, to allow you to play the videos w/out a reboot...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 168 | Thanked: 265 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by qole View Post
the media player process needs to be restarted. also if you have flv files you should install gstreamer0.10-flv. if you have mkv files you should install gstreamer0.10-plugins-good-extra and then run as root: tracker-register-mimetype -c Videos -a video/x-matroska

that should really be a postinst in that package as well as restarting media player. maybe i should get the gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg postinst to restart media player.

if you have videos that dont play with the media player after this, let me know the type and codec info and i can either get more stuff packaged or let you know what is needed.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zaheerm For This Useful Post:
Posts: 42 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Finland
Sorry if this has been asked elsewhere, but Im looking for a codec to allow me to play a HD .avi video file. My N900 plays normal .avi's, but it fails to play this high Definition .avi, which is XivD.

Any help appreciated.!

Originally Posted by Micky View Post
Sorry if this has been asked elsewhere, but Im looking for a codec to allow me to play a HD .avi video file. My N900 plays normal .avi's, but it fails to play this high Definition .avi, which is XivD.

Any help appreciated.!
if you put the file up somewhere for me to download, i can see why and if necessary package up stuff so n900 can play it.

The Following User Says Thank You to zaheerm For This Useful Post:
Posts: 42 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Finland
Thanks, this is the video file.

http://www.digital-digest.com/movies...ast_stand.html

Originally Posted by zaheerm View Post
the media player process needs to be restarted. also if you have flv files you should install gstreamer0.10-flv. if you have mkv files you should install gstreamer0.10-plugins-good-extra and then run as root: tracker-register-mimetype -c Videos -a video/x-matroska

that should really be a postinst in that package as well as restarting media player. maybe i should get the gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg postinst to restart media player.
Hmm I wonder if there's a wiki article on playing video formats. This would be great material for it (for the n900).

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
Hmm I wonder if there's a wiki article on playing video formats. This would be great material for it (for the n900).
There is some stuff here:

http://wiki.maemo.org/Documentation/...n_Media_Player

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zaheerm For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,255 | Thanked: 393 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ US
Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
Great point!

We need specific playback parameters of what the device will play out of the box, since a lot of users will only use what the device came with. Unless there is a simple way of adding codecs or a player with (perhaps) more ability through the repository for the N900.

Like it or not, this site is going to get overrun by non-techs that bought the device and will have MANY questions that will cause MANY of you here to roll your eyes.

Change is a commin'

Tags
fact from fiction, imagination, multimediatard