Hey all,

I've had my 770 for about 6 months now. One thing that's always annoyed me has been the way the case was designed. I had two main problems with it;

1. With the case on it was very hard to use the left direction on the directional button. This was particularily annoying when playing games, but affected most applications

2. When the case was on I couldn't get the stylus out. I would invariably put the case on and then remember I couldn't get the stylus, and then have to take it out of the case again. I'm sure you all know what I mean.

So, I decided to do a little case modding. This is one of the results;

I'm now really pleased with my Nokia and can use it much faster and be less annoyed. I would recommend these changes to anyone with a 770 (and anyone with any kind of skills and/or proper tools will be able to do a much better job than I)

I've posted more pictures and a "How To" at http://buckwurst.googlepages.com/home if you're interested.

Also, Nokia Hardware design guys, please take a look and see what you made me do to my pretty but impractical case

Last edited by buckwurst; 2006-07-29 at 16:54.

Posts: 35 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ München
Being tired of unplugging/plugging orgies I cut the Gordian knot!

What about some topology 101 lesson for the designers?
Attached Images

Ugh. Nasty-looking mutilations, both, and the second one just because you couldn't be bothered to unplug the power cord once in a blue moon? Yikes.

The Following User Says Thank You to kimmoj For This Useful Post:
Posts: 207 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ Texas
Originally Posted by buckwurst
... please take a look and see what you made me do to my pretty but impractical case
Frankly, with a bit of patience I think it could have been cleaner. Take a look at what this guy did.

Originally Posted by Odin
Frankly, with a bit of patience I think it could have been cleaner. Take a look at what this guy did.
Correction to the above URL: http://journal.codeslinger.com/geten...=20060625_1848

Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
The D-pad being blocked I agree with. Maybe I'm a little utilitarian but if I'm playing a game I just take the cover off and chuck it in my pocket.

I still think the great stylus debate is funny... It locks it inplce so you don't lose it. That plastic nub isn't going to last forever. This may be a ittle aggrevating but try it; push up on the bottom where the ports are with your left thumb, and with your right hand, slide the stylus out. Takes about 1/4 second... frustrating I know. (Yep - - sarcasm)

The plugs... with the cables plugged in: slide the cover don unti it clears the case. Flip 180 degrees. Taking advntage of the magical bendy powers of cables, one will find the coer slides right back on without difficulty.

Aha, so I'm not the only utilitarian-minded one around here... thanks for the common sense reality-check :-)

Posts: 356 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ Madrid, Spain
I have the same opinion, that sliding and rotating the cover is easy and that pushing the cover up with the thumb to get at stylus, is also quite easy.

I agree that with the modifications to the case it could be made much easier (Shame not captured and put right before release to public), however if using the unit to surf the net for any length of time discarding the casing altogether is a better choice as its then much lighter to hold in one hand with the stylus in the other.

What we could do with is perhaps a forearm/wrist attachment, that somehow provides support to the wrist to whilst presenting the 770 in a very comfortable palm position, which allows thumb and fingers of hand access to buttons etc? (even without the case the 770 does not feel very light over time)

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
If this is turning into a silly-design-mistakes-nobody-thought-of-before thread ( ), here's my entry:

The speaker appears to be placed exactly where my thumb is when I hold the 770 in my left hand. Why, Nokia? Why??!!!!

Posts: 32 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ australia
i am looking at my cover and thinking of taking a hot blade to it so i can stash a rsmmc in the hole in the plastic that could be made. I could get a new 2GB rsmmc and also keep my 1GB card strapped to the unit for easy swapping.