After using the n800 for few a weeks, I'm impressed and very happy with my purchase and I've started showing it off to coworkers and friends. Everyone has taken an interest in what it can do.

Obviously, I have an interest in the Internet tablet succeeding. I want more applications, more capabilities and Nokia to continue the Internet Tablet product line.

What can we do to help promote the Internet Tablet?

Community - We're fortunate to have Internet Tablet Talk as a place to ask questions, share ideas and discuss the tablet. I've been telling people about this website and I've taken a stab a few times at answering questions.

Applications - Maemo.org is a good central location to find applications and there's an initiative to help port new ones. I still see a lag in getting applications tested on the n800. There is an application wish-list to show what people are wanting.

Developers - It seems like we have a good share of very bright developers and we can always use many more at every level. More developers/application porters/packages maintainers/how-to writers/testers will mean more applications for us all. The vmware Maemo Development Appliance is a fantastic way to draw in new developers. I've kept my torrent up and its gained quite a bit of momentum in just a few days. Recently, there was a great writeup on how we can improve the interface and user experience.

Media Coverage - There's been quite a few very good reviews on the Internet including a positive one from C|net. I haven't seen much on Slashdot and I don't follow Digg as much anymore and I'm sure there's other websites to target. Maybe someone can get an article or two out there to get more exposure. Handheld VPN client, Maemo Mapper, Portable VNC PC remote control, mini office suite, einstein newton emulator, mame gaming platform, windows emulation, mac emulation - I'm sure there's other crazy stuff that may not be of value or killer apps that make the platform what it is. An article would catch someone's eye and draw them to evaluate the tablet for other things. And then there's word of mouth. If every owner gets one person to buy a Tablet we doubled our userbase and grew our community.

What ideas do you have and what can we do to grow our community and make the Internet tablet more useful for us all?

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ UK
Just FYI about the lag of OS 2007-tested applications; the Developer Discount Programme is now delivering its first devices, I expect the situation to improve rapidly.

hi there,

i'm also using the n800 a lot, and i must say, after using a 770 too,
the n800 is really a good step forward....
more usable, more fast, applications are coming...

i'm happy, and a lot of people behind me are looking for
this device and seems very interrested.

my though about it, is that this device must support a
software that can give a real, and full web acces.
by this, i mean that this device must be more internet compliant
(flash, google spreadsheets...)
this is very important, because people wants to be sure
that they can use the web, the way they actually do with their PC....
if they can't acces to something, it will be so frustrating...

i'm really waiting for this.

without that, this device is very nice.
actually, no matter of the new design (missing cover)
i'm using the give pouch and waiting for a better case that
i think will come very soon from nokia...
please, designers, be smart !

the big improvement for me is also the bluetooth support.
i enjoy the nokia keyboard with it, and it is really wonderfull
to just have to open the keyboard and switch it on to have
a full acces to text input, web surfing...
i'm using this like a real little computer that fit in my pockets...

i'm also using my old SonyEricsson MMV200
it is a small device that you connect with bluetooth,
and you can push pictures, mp3, small video to it, and display
or hear it with your tv or videoprojector...
this is cool, and i certainly will do some presentation with this...
(if someone can develop a small application doing automated slide show
pushing picture to bluetooth, it will be cool !)
it works well....

rj

You can all also help the site and submit news items yourselves that would appear on the main page. If you want this feature, send me a PM. The main page uses Wordpress.

Thanks.

I'd be interested in posting on the site... I've been posting like mad lately on my own site -- http://www.atmasphere.net/wp

The N800 is a great step forward and is really something that NEEDS to be promoted to gain traction as well as help people appreciate what it is and what it is not. I showed it to a friend today and he saw it was a 'tweener, but did not get it. I did not have enough time in our brief discussion to go over all that can be done, but I personally believe (and think quite a few of us around here agree) that Nokia is really on to something with this baby.

The Following User Says Thank You to atmasphere For This Useful Post: