Posts: 337 | Thanked: 891 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Royaume Uni.
Originally Posted by tortoisedoc View Post
Meltemi?
EDIT : oh how can I be *still* so naive...it will be Android, of course :/
Meltemi was killed.

Nokia are contractually forbidden from working on Android.

Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
I very much doubt Nokia will be developing a totally new OS, simply too expensive.

EDIT: or it could be based on the OS developed by smarterphone
You got it.

The team that Elop acquired over a year ago are still working in a silo away from the Nokia bureaucracy on SmarterphoneOS (of course, it will be re-branded when Nokia come to release it). The OS is intended to completely replace S40 which isn't fit for purpose anymore (Nokia know Asha sales will take a pasting as Android/WP get cheaper and cheaper). Like Blackberry 10, the aim of this device is to get very tight social networking integration (i.e. the unified notification center) with a much more fluid UI (S40 like Symbian was just never designed to work with touch devices). Like the Asha series, the device will occupy the price point between Series 30 phones (~$20) and Windows Phones ($150+) and will continue to be marketed at developing markets. I believe that the plan is to unveil a device running this OS at Nokia World 2013 this September.

Elop isn't a complete fool. He knows that the creaky Series 40 OS is on its last legs and that developing market consumers will just move to cheap Android phones if nothing is done. Windows Phone is not an option for Nokia. A licence for the OS is $25 alone and WP just won't scale to a lower-end device anyway. The only option for Nokia is SmarterphoneOS (or whatever Nokia will end up calling it).

All will come clear during Nokia World 2013.

Last edited by NokiaFanatic; 2013-03-25 at 14:38.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NokiaFanatic For This Useful Post:
If Nokia also replaces series 40 in some ways that would be an end of an era: All the internally developed OS-es since 1999 would have been killed except series 30 on the cheapest phones they make.
According to the wikipedia page Smarterphone can still use Java, so I assume at least some of the series 40 java programmers can still work on smarterphone applications.

Will be interesting.

Originally Posted by NokiaFanatic View Post
You got it.

The team that Elop acquired over a year ago are still working in a silo away from the Nokia bureaucracy on SmarterphoneOS (of course, it will be re-branded when Nokia come to release it). The OS is intended to completely replace S40 which isn't fit for purpose anymore (Nokia know Asha sales will take a pasting as Android/WP get cheaper and cheaper). Like Blackberry 10, the aim of this device is to get very tight social networking integration (i.e. the unified notification center) with a much more fluid UI (S40 like Symbian was just never designed to work with touch devices). Like the Asha series, the device will occupy the price point between Series 30 phones (~$20) and Windows Phones ($150+) and will continue to be marketed at developing markets. I believe that the plan is to unveil a device running this OS at Nokia World 2013 this September.

Elop isn't a complete fool. He knows that the creaky Series 40 OS is on its last legs and that developing market consumers will just move to cheap Android phones if nothing is done. Windows Phone is not an option for Nokia. A licence for the OS is $25 alone and WP just won't scale to a lower-end device anyway. The only option for Nokia is SmarterphoneOS (or whatever Nokia will end up calling it).

All will come clear during Nokia World 2013.
This does not make sense.
ALL of the features are available on harmattan already (unified social networks, smooth ui).
Why would they port yet another OS and invest the few money they still have?
Elop once again proves he is indeed what everyone thinks of him- an idiot, sorry.

LINKer - transform your N9's home view in a Desktop, give it the freedom it deserves! -> LINKer for Harmattan

QuickBar - Can't find the app you used yesterday in your overcrowded Home Screen? Want access to the QuickLaunch bar even in the home screen? QuickBar for Harmattan

If you like our work, and would like to support via PayPal : users.giulietta@gmail.com

The Following User Says Thank You to tortoisedoc For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by tortoisedoc View Post
This does not make sense.
ALL of the features are available on harmattan already (unified social networks, smooth ui).
Why would they port yet another OS and invest the few money they still have?
Elop once again proves he is indeed what everyone thinks of him- an idiot, sorry.
You're missing the point. Nokia want a stripped down, lightweight OS that can run on lower-end hardware.

The Following User Says Thank You to NokiaFanatic For This Useful Post:

Nokia are contractually forbidden from working on Android.
Source for this?

Originally Posted by dietyyli View Post
Source for this?
Source?
Elop. 'nuff said

I'm flattered

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:
You're missing the point. Nokia want a stripped down, lightweight OS that can run on lower-end hardware.

Ok so I conclude stripping down harmattan is not an option in this case...

LINKer - transform your N9's home view in a Desktop, give it the freedom it deserves! -> LINKer for Harmattan

QuickBar - Can't find the app you used yesterday in your overcrowded Home Screen? Want access to the QuickLaunch bar even in the home screen? QuickBar for Harmattan

If you like our work, and would like to support via PayPal : users.giulietta@gmail.com

The Following User Says Thank You to tortoisedoc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 289 | Thanked: 185 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ Worldwide
Wasn't that going to be meltemi which was destroyed?

Posts: 308 | Thanked: 299 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Graveyard
Nothing is going to happen. Nokia will stick to WP till their last production unit is closed and they sell out all their patents.

The Following User Says Thank You to ranbaxy For This Useful Post: