Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
Since it's mostly QML, maybe it'd be worth to put the source on GitHub or so?

Projects no longer actively developed: here

Originally Posted by romu View Post
After being able to use it for a couple of album playbacks, here is my main comment: I've the feeling the Talenfish UX is oriented "track playback". For example, you can tap on a track to play it, but you've to "Open Directory" to play the whole album.

That's totally personal, but I would have expected quite the opposite, Talenfish being "album first" instead of track.

My 2 cents.
The main use case for me was audio books, of which many I have are made into a few, long tracks. So, yes, it's single album/directory focussed.

Originally Posted by marmistrz View Post
Since it's mostly QML, maybe it'd be worth to put the source on GitHub or so?
From another thread:
Originally Posted by karlos devel View Post
any plans to Talefish @velox? : )
The problem with talefish is: It's pretty but not a very good app beneath that – and QML only, which does not help in a lot of areas.
If someone convinces me they'd be able (or willing enough to learn) to help, I'll put it on github, but I think some players are just doing a better job.
I don't say I'll never try to do it, but it basically would have to be rewritten to be nice. Currently I have no short term goal to do that (by myself ).
___
list of i486/noarch packages on openrepos (jolla tablet)

Happy holidays, everyone. Talefish is a wonderful software.

If I were allowed to make a wish, I'd love to have it somehow tied in with gPodder to "automagically" enqueue podcast downloads in sequence.

So far, I've been adding podcast directories to Talefish. However, those are not necessarily in the right order.

Anyway, velox, you are doing a great job! Many thanks!

The Following User Says Thank You to dubliner For This Useful Post:
This application is amazing.

Feature Request: can you add a timer which decides to stop playback. Would be nice to have when listening to audiobooks in the evening / in bed.

Sorry, I just now realosed that there's slumber. Integration woukd be nice anyways

Last edited by gaelic; 2016-12-26 at 13:50.

The Following User Says Thank You to gaelic For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gaelic View Post
This application is amazing.

Feature Request: can you add a timer which decides to stop playback. Would be nice to have when listening to audiobooks in the evening / in bed.

Sorry, I just now realosed that there's slumber. Integration woukd be nice anyways
Slumber was part of Talefish initially, until I realized that having a good sleep timer as a standalone tool for all media players multiplies it's "usefulness per code maintainance" ratio (also: most sleep timers in players are not nice since it always has to be a secondary feature). Because the timer portion was much more mature/useable, I made slumber. It should work pretty seamlessly with Talefish.

edit:
Originally Posted by dubliner View Post

If I were allowed to make a wish, I'd love to have it somehow tied in with gPodder to "automagically" enqueue podcast downloads in sequence.

So far, I've been adding podcast directories to Talefish. However, those are not necessarily in the right order.
I don't think the gpodder integration be easy. But the sorting of directories might be: Have you tried sorting the open dialog by using it's pulley menu?

cheers all, thanks for your appreciation
___

Last edited by velox; 2016-12-26 at 17:41.

The Following User Says Thank You to velox For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by velox View Post
most sleep timers in players are not nice since it always has to be a secondary feature
I am not convinced with "always" and "has to be". A well integrated sleep timer can, for example, not just cut off in the middle of the word when the time comes. It can, for example, wait for the end of the current track and then gently fade to silence (in case the track ends abruptly). An even better integrated sleep timer can do even more advanced things, like recognise that there is a quiet passage ahead and stop there.

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
But the sorting of directories might be: Have you tried sorting the open dialog by using it's pulley menu?
Thank you so much for that helpful reply, Velox! As for the pulley menu, indeed I had somehow managed to miss it. Sorry about that.

Here is another question, though: Is there a way to add a file or a directory to the established playlist without overwriting the previous choices?

The Following User Says Thank You to dubliner For This Useful Post:
velox:
First of all, what's wrong with app being QML-only? What's wrong with the app itself?

I'll hopefully be a Sailfish user from next vacation (if I manage to port it to my phone) so I couldn't make a direct check, but a quick search yields no other audiobook players for SFOS

The Following User Says Thank You to marmistrz For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by dubliner View Post
Here is another question, though: Is there a way to add a file or a directory to the established playlist without overwriting the previous choices?
If those new files are at the end of the list of opened files, it should work, because the way Talefish saves the progress is quite simple (some might say stupid). It saves three values of each directory already played, of which only two are really relevant to setting the progress:
  • current index (number of the file in playlist played)
  • duration played in file
  • percentage played in directory (this is only used to display the percentage bars in the open dialog)

While this means you may get weird behaviour if you choose to reopen a directory with different sorting, you should be fine just reopening the directory when adding files at the end. I hope this helps as well.

Originally Posted by marmistrz View Post
velox:
First of all, what's wrong with app being QML-only? What's wrong with the app itself?

I'll hopefully be a Sailfish user from next vacation (if I manage to port it to my phone) so I couldn't make a direct check, but a quick search yields no other audiobook players for SFOS
Well, qml is not a bad thing in general. Actually I think it's really nice to do user interfaces and some other things with it. Directory based media handling, for example, sadly is not one of those things*: I haven't found a nice way to query file durations (or any way at all to get file meta data like ID3), so if you open a directory, it has to open each file and hope that it's a valid format that is read within the limits of a "watchdog timeout". For large directories that's taking a while and may even trigger the systems crash handler dialog.
Basically, opening files and searching for matching covers (easter egg: you can put different jpgs named somehow similarly to the corresponding audio files in the opened directory to match them) is just a bunch of more or less dirty hacks put together.

Also: Kudos for trying to port your device!

*) I really would like someone to prove me wrong here!
___

Last edited by velox; 2017-01-01 at 17:43. Reason: copy paste does not make for good writing.

Well, qml is not a bad thing in general. Actually I think it's really nice to do user interfaces and some other things with it. Directory based media handling, for example, sadly is not one of those things*: I haven't found a nice way to query file durations (or any way at all to get file meta data like ID3), so if you open a directory, it has to open each file and hope that it's a valid format that is read within the limits of a "watchdog timeout". For large directories that's taking a while and may even trigger the systems crash handler dialog.
Basically, opening files and searching for matching covers (easter egg: you can put different jpgs named somehow similarly to the corresponding audio files in the opened directory to match them) is just a bunch of more or less dirty hacks put together.

Also: Kudos for trying to port your device!

*) I really would like someone to prove me wrong here!
Well, tbh, when I create QML apps, I create everything possible in QML. Often it's much faster to write some QML code than to mess around with the C++ integration, which is not a one-liner. Of course you can't do everything in QML.

As for the concrete case: have you tried doing that in parallel? In QML it was called a WorkerScript or so iirc. Besides, I don't think you have any other way to find out the duration than to query every file unless you use tracker or any other indexer - which you don't want.

Maybe you could use some libmediainfo or so to query the data about the files and something for querying the MIME type (ignore the file if the MIME is bad). You could use a QThread so as to make it parallel. But I guess you can't do much more with QML only.

You really should ask for details on the mailing list or IRC because I don't know which libraries are on SFOS and which not.

As for the image querying, I don't get what you mean.

Anyway, you could simply document the quirks and say: "it's simply all that I need"
If someone needs more, they can always fork and implement it themselves and don't have to mess with the boring UI stuff.

/edit: btw. libmediainfo on Arch Linux
Code:
Depends On      : curl  libmms  libzen

The Following User Says Thank You to marmistrz For This Useful Post:

Tags
audiobook, player, sailfish