Posts: 109 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ NYC, NY
Over the last few days, I've had my beloved N810 start acting *really* wonky.

It started out where I'd get sudden crashes (like opening the keyboard, or just picking it up). I remotely logged in, and a dmesg turned up a lot of complaints about "seeking beyond the end" of mmcblk0 and such. I checked and (according to some other posts) I noticed that the partition was slightly larger than the raw device. I reflashed, but the problem seemed to persist, so I reformatted it, which seemed to solve *that* problem.

However, now things seem to be sliding downhill rapidly. I can't pick up the unit without it rebooting (it'll go to a very light screen of whatever is there, then fade to black). Or, as just now, I'll plug it in I'll get the white "Nokia" screen, then it'll go dark (I won't even get to the "reaching hands"), or flicker in-and-out black then the white nokia screen.

I thought, initially, that the battery might be going (but that'd be quick -- it's my second), but I have problems even when it's plugged in.

From this last behavior, I'm wondering if the power-jack (the side in the unit) isn't loose or something (which might interfere with the charging), and causing these spurious halts/black-screen.

Has anyone seen anything like this? I'm wondering if the power-jack hasn't gone, or whether the partition sizes indicates that the internal flash is going, or a combination of the two ...

Anyone have any hints as to how to resurrect this?

Thanks ...

Originally Posted by fattomm View Post
I checked and (according to some other posts) I noticed that the partition was slightly larger than the raw device.
That's bug 2940, and the problem would have been there since you first bought the device.

I reflashed, but the problem seemed to persist, so I reformatted it, which seemed to solve *that* problem.
Did you also repartition the internal "card" to the right size? If not this problem will reappear sooner or later.

I can't pick up the unit without it rebooting (it'll go to a very light screen of whatever is there, then fade to black). Or, as just now, I'll plug it in I'll get the white "Nokia" screen, then it'll go dark (I won't even get to the "reaching hands"), or flicker in-and-out black then the white nokia screen.
It may be that the battery isn't making good contact with the device. Try cleaning the contacts, and wedging a small piece of cardboard or something to secure the battery so it doesn't move inside its compartment when you move the device. Try another battery as well if possible.

I thought, initially, that the battery might be going (but that'd be quick -- it's my second), but I have problems even when it's plugged in.
Even with the charger plugged in the device still draws power from the battery, so that doesn't tell you much,

Posts: 109 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ NYC, NY
Originally Posted by lma View Post
That's bug 2940, and the problem would have been there since you first bought the device.

Did you also repartition the internal "card" to the right size? If not this problem will reappear sooner or later.
This is definitely the one I came across. I *reformatted*, not re-partitioned, and then the partition seemed ok (the file system partition was then smaller than the device). At least I didn't see the block-level errors any more. (They indeed may've been there for quite a while, though I'm sure over the year+ I've had it, I would've seen it -- I think ...)

It may be that the battery isn't making good contact with the device. Try cleaning the contacts, and wedging a small piece of cardboard or something to secure the battery so it doesn't move inside its compartment when you move the device. Try another battery as well if possible.
I cleaned the contacts -- but those are so big (and so deep on the battery side), it'd be quite remarkable for it to be a contact thing. I cleaned it up with some emery cloth, and blew it out. I replace the battery, and made a little shim out of paper -- to ensure a very snug contact.

Even with the charger plugged in the device still draws power from the battery, so that doesn't tell you much,
Even plugged in, it's drawing it through the battery? That's vexing.

Right now, the "very odd" behavior is continuing (this is after cleaning the contacts). Often I'll just get the white Nokia screen, then it'll shut itself down. I had one session of flashing "WNS" (white nokia screen), and then a light blue screen for a while.

Removing the battery, and running off just power, I see similar behavior. Turning on the unit is a bit of a challenge, I'll get the white screen then it'll turn off again (much same as when the battery was in). If I hold in the power button, and then plug it in, I'll get the Nokia screen, but then it'll fad very dark, and then shut off.

What are the odds that I've got a loose power connector right on the inside? I'm reluctant to open up the unit (dammit, Jim, I'm a computer scientist, not an EE!), fiddle around, and totally break it (not that that is much worse than right now ...).

Thoroughly confused.

Doing to try and clean the battery contacts again.
(Thanks for your help! I'm worried ... I'll be toy-less until Christmas time!)

Originally Posted by fattomm View Post
This is definitely the one I came across. I *reformatted*, not re-partitioned, and then the partition seemed ok (the file system partition was then smaller than the device). At least I didn't see the block-level errors any more. (They indeed may've been there for quite a while, though I'm sure over the year+ I've had it, I would've seen it -- I think ...)

I cleaned the contacts -- but those are so big (and so deep on the battery side), it'd be quite remarkable for it to be a contact thing. I cleaned it up with some emery cloth, and blew it out. I replace the battery, and made a little shim out of paper -- to ensure a very snug contact.

Even plugged in, it's drawing it through the battery? That's vexing.

Right now, the "very odd" behavior is continuing (this is after cleaning the contacts). Often I'll just get the white Nokia screen, then it'll shut itself down. I had one session of flashing "WNS" (white nokia screen), and then a light blue screen for a while.

Removing the battery, and running off just power, I see similar behavior. Turning on the unit is a bit of a challenge, I'll get the white screen then it'll turn off again (much same as when the battery was in). If I hold in the power button, and then plug it in, I'll get the Nokia screen, but then it'll fad very dark, and then shut off.

What are the odds that I've got a loose power connector right on the inside? I'm reluctant to open up the unit (dammit, Jim, I'm a computer scientist, not an EE!), fiddle around, and totally break it (not that that is much worse than right now ...).

Thoroughly confused.

Doing to try and clean the battery contacts again.
(Thanks for your help! I'm worried ... I'll be toy-less until Christmas time!)
fattomm, do not to plug in the device without the battery installed; i think you'd be risking hardware damage.