Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
moved from EIPI's debate thread:

Originally Posted by VDVsx View Post
Since there's already a very good set of questions, here are only a few from me, please feel free to use/modify/adapt them:

Community

What new initiatives do you want to develop inside the community ?

maemo.org

Do you agree with the Extras QA process ? In your opinion, we should lower, raise or maintain the current entry barrier for extras ?

How do you see the relationship between the council and the payed staff at maemo.org ? In your opinion the current means and periodicity of reporting are enough or the maemo.org staff should use other means to report to the community ?
One new intiative I have already begun is with metrics and highly visible reporting (like website dashboards). Dawn Foster and Dave Neary are also working on this and I'm encouraged by their enthusiasm and the support from Tero Kojo. I think this work will help almost every project. Link http://wiki.meego.com/Metrics

The main new initiative is migrating this community (or at least those who want to join) into MeeGo. Other than that, everything else I intend to work on is an old initiative that needs ramping up or polishing: community outreach, improved app testing and bug reporting, improved information management, more effective communications, brainstorming and problem-solving in general. I think MeeGo gives us the opportunity to get these things done more cleanly since we can bring in from maemo.org what works and learn from what didn't.

I do agree with tightening the Extras QA process but without making it too regimented. Best way to start is by applying the metrics collection and reporting I mentioned above. Having hard, reliable data reduces arguments and creates a trusted process. The rules and help info need to be deeply ingrained into the UI/UX of every aspect of Extras QA so that no one need chase it down.

I think the personal relationship between paid staff and council is great. But the working relationship needs work. We need better definition of roles and expectations. I think the council should be able to have more access to infrastructure on an as-needed basis as well. But more than that, we need to find out if there will even be a need/want for a MeeGo council!

As for reporting: dashboards. Status alerts. PDF reports. RSS subscriptions to reports and alerts. The professional stuff.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Apologies for being mostly out of commission lately, including my blog. My paying job has been a real hinderance. I was hired to replace two people (one laid off, one promoted) and later given the duties of a third. At times it gets to be a bit much.

Hopefully things will slow down a bit soon.

Will 2011 be make-or-break for Nokia?

http://tabulacrypticum.wordpress.com...eak-for-nokia/

One of my most researched articles ever:

http://tabulacrypticum.wordpress.com...lled-gardener/

If you like it, please take time to go back to Planet Maemo and give it some love!

Last edited by Texrat; 2010-05-16 at 01:02.

Wow, I'm official!

http://akademy.kde.org/node/385

Just wanted to apologize for being so behind on PMs, emails, post moderation, etc. I had to narrow my focus recently to mainly the paying job and secondly to my blog (as well as the usual family demands).

Not much I can do about the job workload, especially since it has nothing whatsoever to do with Maemo or MeeGo, but I'll be slowing down on other activities and catching up on the things I've let slide. Thanks for your patience and understanding.

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Just wanted to apologize for being so behind on PMs, emails, post moderation, etc. I had to narrow my focus recently to mainly the paying job and secondly to my blog (as well as the usual family demands).

Not much I can do about the job workload, especially since it has nothing whatsoever to do with Maemo or MeeGo, but I'll be slowing down on other activities and catching up on the things I've let slide. Thanks for your patience and understanding.
You got to pay the bills dude.

I was wondering, after seeing this threads title pop up once again; what is there left to advocate with regard to Maemo?

Will there be additional public releases or upgrades to Maemo from Nokia?

SLN member # 009

No idea, although I would expect a PR1.3 update (no knowledge though).

Regardless, I will support Maemo and its community until there isn't either.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
There's been quite the flareup here lately, and it's not surprising. I expected a transition from Maemo to MeeGo to be rough.

The only part I want to address is the Civil War.

But first I guess I need to make something concrete and clear: I'm not happy with many of Nokia's decisions this year, especially those that rebuffed community interest and desires. I will in no way defend Nokia mistakes. Anyone who thinks otherwise at this point has missed some key blog articles recently. But the link is below; feel free to catch up.

I'm not going to speak for any other council members here, although I will defend them and the concept.

How quickly they forget

Yes, it's true I was a Nokia employee, and it would be reasonable for people to suspect I might therefore defend the company for its behavior. But that ignores history (of which many might be unaware, I acknowledge). I went out on a limb when I first joined up here, angering Quim and a few others by pushing (too hard) for Nokia-to-community engagement. 4 or 5 years ago the company wasn't ready. Hell it still isn't.

I also lost my job with Nokia, best I've ever had, so if anything I should be resentful (I'm not, just regretful).

So now that we have that bit of reality out of the way...

"The council does nothing"

Here's where some either choose to ignore evidence or have an unrealistic expectation of what 5 volunteers should accomplish, especially under adverse conditions.

The council DOES work, both individually and collectively. You just don't see the process part. You see a post here or there, a blog article or two, and maybe get the idea that's it. But never underestimate the work behind those words. I'm sure you wouldn't want to be so summarily discredited for your similar efforts.

And if you really, seriously think this or previous councils have not done anything, just ask instead of attacking. We will gladly share that process with you.

"There's no reason for the council"

Any time a community gets this large, a representative body of some sort becomes a necessity. If you think corporate engagement is bad with us, just imagine what it would be like without.

At MeeGo there is no council (yet?), and many complain about the lack of a community sense there. Granted, a community CAN form without a council, but this is not a case of organic growth, but more like "instant community". I believe a volunteer council could help foster the missing community spirit.

Inward attacks

Nokia is focusing so heavily now on MeeGo that the company is like a wraith here now, a legend. Members grown tired of jabbing at a phantom have turned on each other. People I thought of as friends now show an ugly face I didn't know existed. The community is at each other's throats.

I don't have an easy cure for that. Does that mean I fail as a council rep? If you define it so, well, I can only say I'm sorry. But where was your advice as this struggle began? Did you offer any, or just wait for the balls to drop so you'd have a basis for complaint? Do you have solutions to offer, or just want to pick at wounds?

Like fatalsaint asks, what do you want?

Do you want five people to retreat to a purely defensive posture, resign for your satisfaction, what? Do you want us to pretend our accomplishments and efforts never occurred, so your comments look valid? Are you looking for personal vindication of a negative outlook?

Or are you just looking for the most visible target you can find?

Anyway, I guess I'm an easy target because I put myself on the front line. But for you guys. Lately I'm getting more grief for the effort than satisfaction. I'm just too damned stubborn to quit. I will stay in this post, as pointless as you may think it, and do any little thing I can to nudge Nokia into a better direction.

If I have failed those who voted for me, I sincerely apologize. But I don't feel I have failed those who were never in my corner to begin with. And malcontents can't be pleased anyway. We do have our share here.

If you have some personal vendetta against me or another member, don't take it out on the council. Definitely don't take it out on the community at large. If you're that frustrated, please find greener pastures. Let maemo.org find a new purpose, or die gracefully.

There is no need for civil war.

Last edited by Texrat; 2010-08-11 at 15:52.

The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
I came to a tough decision today and just wanted to share with those who cared.

After being declined an interview for a local Nokia position that I easily qualified for, I have decided to quit trying to rejoin the company.

After receiving the unfortunate news I did some reflecting, and realized it's been nearly 2 years since my last position there was eliminated. Sure, I was given a chance to stay with the company but the only options meant relocating and although I was interested, my wife was not. So I spent the last 23 months giving every local opportunity my best shot. Apparently that wasn't enough.

I work full time now in IT but wanted to get back on my career path, which is more IM, Logistics, and/or product development. Working and job-seeking has been extremely exhausting and I have to cut back. I still want something better, but have come to the disappointing conclusion it won't be with Nokia.

As bad as some may make it out to be, Nokia was my best employer. it's really one of those "what you make it" sort of companies, and I fit right in. So working elsewhere just isn't as attractive.

No matter what I still have some ties to the company. There's this community. And MeeGo. And I was just recently honored to be selected a Forum Nokia Champion. I intend to still devote some time to those things, but i'm removing the "can this also help me get a job back with Nokia?" angle. I'm just going to focus on what I enjoy and the heck with the rest.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do career-wise. I can't stay where I am much longer. So I'm going to look harder at RIM and others. A job with RIM will likely mean cutting ties with this community and MeeGo, so that will take consideration if an opportunity comes up.

Anyway I just had to share this and I know I have at least a few friends here who were rooting for my return. It's just not going to happen, and I have to accept that.

I thank everyone for your support the past 4 years. Let's ride it out as long as we can.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post: