Posts: 772 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Jul 2005 @ Montclair, NJ (NYC suburbs)
Most of what I learn about Nokia and the internet tablets comes from following links posted in blogs written by more clued-in folks. One link today was to a post about the QT Animation framework written only yesterday by Kaj Gronholm. (Neat video here.)

Another link I tripped over was much older. And so I just learned today that the CEO of Nokia was being interviewed on YLE (the Finnish national broadcasting corporation) almost six weeks ago when he let drop that, why, yes, Nokia is thinking about making laptop computers.

As Reuters blandly noted, rumors about such a move have been floating around since "late last year," but CEO Olli-Pekka Kallasvuo's on-air "comment was the first official admittance of such plans."

Determining the role that the Internet Tablet will play in the cellphone maker's future has been nigh unto impossible to ken.

After all, Nokia will have to have an iPhone simulacrum and having that complicates the tablet position. And if Nokia is going to reverse-traverse Apple's computer-to-phone trajectory, well, there are plenty of complications in separating out the tablet, UMPC, netbook, ultraportable and notebook niches even before you throw phone connectivity into the mix.

What can I say? We live in interesting times.
Read the full article.

Last edited by RogerS; 2009-04-10 at 23:13.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RogerS For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
would be interesting if it emerges as a cortex based device

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
The demo is neat! I remember something like that for GNOME desktop (with mouse as input pointer device though). Imagine the GNOME logo in the middle of the screen. Above each toe of the foot was a marble, each with a different colour. Each colour represented a different task e.g. Menu. It was also possible to move the GNOME foot to a screen corner. It'd then be a 1/4th sun with again 5 marbles each with different colour. Compiz also uses screen corners, as does Carman. Its a useful way to allow the user to communicate with a touchscreen. And IIRC I saw something like this in Enlightenment too. But I don't remember being able or having to grab the thing out of the corner to see its full glory and/or having to execute tasks. Imagine in the corner it allows you to execute the most common tasks while when dragged to middle you get all the possibilities. Very interesting and exciting!

Telephones are an obsolete technology

Everything is moving towards the open network..

It's time telephony service providers died along with this old and soon to be dead technology..

The internet is the future.. the Nokia Internet Tablet is SO far ahead of its time, that if it were invented in ten twenty years from now, we WOULDN'T EVEN be HAVING this discussion..

It would be ALL focussed, as it should be, on how to improve upon this fundamentally correct setup that Nokia has already in the n810 IT

I welcome the idea of a Nokia netbook but as LONG as they make it able to be used as a net tablet still, if larger (it's nice not to stare at such a small screen the whole time..how about an extendable screen?)... touch screen and swivel screen are MUSTS but so TOO is a REAL keyboard (/thumboard at least)

Coming back to the obselete telephone network & concept, I don't even USE my mobile telephone except for checking it once in a while for the sake of those few people/organisations that still rely on this old technology..

It's like this: MSN and Skype.. I don't even use msn but some people still do whilst mainly using Skype BECAUSE of their friends still ONLY using MSN..you see Skype can do everything..txt, voice, video chats & conferences...

It's time we let go of the old & embrace the change towards the better..

Come on Nokia! Transition TIME!!

Why not invent an OPEN SOURCE version of Skype that you guys can have some control over & extend & improve upon? The internet is coming online everywhere..you could also help with that by providing certain deals to local companies etc..

Then base your future market of products on this future-tech..

Last edited by chakotay_da_silver; 2009-05-07 at 22:49.

The Following User Says Thank You to chakotay_da_silver For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Saldy, skype have hijacked any chance of a near future voip standard....

I disagree.. there will be a number of "obstacles" to be overcome on the way to a better and more open future. The trick is to focus on the goal not the obstacles..

If you're talking about these dumb f***ing patents that were pushed into law by the largest corporations, paying their politicians, it's a temporary thing.. and it does not exist as law in every country.. Every man that writes the law or is payed to vote a certain way on a law by a large corporation, AND every head of each large corporation was once a tiny baby in the hand of their mothers..

Wisdom is being part of the solution supporting ways to maintain open technologies, which I would GLADLY support Nokia spearheading and making a lot of legitimate money from. The Patents are plain dumb, just like Apple with their multi touch patents..

..talk about disabled-by-design technology..lol

Last edited by chakotay_da_silver; 2009-05-07 at 23:00.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Obsolete??? Not even close.

There are so many parts of the world not even fully (if at all) served by cellular service, so it still has legs. And it's true that the paradigm is being inverted (POTS on top of IP instead of the old vice-versa mode) but there will still be a cellular infrastructure. 3G, 4G, whatever-- a cell is a cell, and it's telephony.

Now, as a Nokia employee I prayed constantly that we would triumph over the walled garden mode of US service providers (I would probably still be employed if we had), but never underestimate the power of inertia. There is a lot of money behind maintaining the status quo and it isn't going away quietly, much less quickly.

Your vision may come to pass, but it's too early to write epitaphs for telephony just yet. Same for patents, regardless of your assessment. You certainly seem smart-- just letting idealism override a sense of reality. That'll pass.

EDIT: there are much more than a "few people and organizations" still using cell phones, many on restricted networks/plans. Don't make the mistake of assuming your particular preferences and ideals translate to the world at large.

Last edited by Texrat; 2009-05-08 at 03:28.

Phone = device that lets you call people, technology doesn't matter

Mobile phone = device that lets you call people from almost anywhere, technology doesn't matter

We're never going to stop calling each other, so phones are never going to be obsolete.

Maybe the original poster meant commercial wireless networks, but those too have no obvious replacement. How am I going to make a call from the middle of nowhere if a company hasn't been paid to put up a phone mast?

I don't mind paying a company if they've earned it, and being able to make a phone call from a car that has broken down twenty miles from the nearest town makes me think the phone company has definitely earned my money. I don't think we're going to see free hotspots covering motorways any time soon.

Having said all that, there are things that phone companies should be banned from doing: phone locking should be banned for example, it serves absolutely no purpose other than to decrease competition and restrict what a customer can do with their purchase. Finland banned phone locking until very recently, and that resulted in better, cheaper phone service with almost no restrictions on hardware.

Last edited by krisse; 2009-05-08 at 23:24.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to krisse For This Useful Post: