Notices

http://i.gizmodo.com/5183443/lastfm-...ty-mobile-apps

"Hot off an announcement that they'd be charging for radio access outside the US, UK and Germany, Last.fm has said that all non-official mobile clients will be banned. This isn't going over well.

The change comes with a new developer API that will actually make things much easier for other developers, who've had to rely on a few undocumented calls up until now. Current licensing agreements with labels—who Last.fm is in no position to alienate—prohibit mobile streaming, though the company's official mobile radio apps—right now just on the iPhone and Android—will still work fine.

As you could imagine, this kind of blows for a lot of people. Windows Mobile users will no longer be able to use Pocket Scrobbler, Symbian folks will have their beautiful baby, Mobbler, ripped from their hands, and BlackBerry owners will soon find FlipSide, a pay app, rendered silent. And as much as I'd like to, I don't really believe that we'll see official clients for any of the platforms, at least not soon."

The Following User Says Thank You to ukjeeper For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Yeah, its all over the news.

In a nutshell, two changes in Last.FM service:

1) Not free except in US/UK/DE
2) 3rd party applications banned

The iPhone and Android client are official so these will remain working. But think about other platforms, plugins --you name it.

One could set up such a platform for free, with advertising, but sooner or later the Mafiaa will find you. Stupid IMO. Such are great platforms for promotions.

The Following User Says Thank You to allnameswereout For This Useful Post:
Posts: 284 | Thanked: 80 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ London, UK
WTF?! I heard about the fee, but no unofficial clients?!!?
It's not 1st April yet is it?!? WTF?!

I've been a Last.fm subscriber for ages and half my listening is via Berto's excellent open-source Maemo app Vagalume!

The Following User Says Thank You to Faz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 284 | Thanked: 80 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ London, UK
Just read Berto's blog below.

Looks like unofficial clients, including his excellent Vagalume will continue to work:

http://blogs.igalia.com/berto/2009/0...aming-service/

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Faz For This Useful Post: