Poll: How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB
Poll Options
How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB

Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Originally Posted by pbox View Post
So, Joerg, is there any more specific date you are trying to aim at with the release of your Neo900? Give us at least some info whether it might be 2nd, 3rd of 4th quarter of 2016, please! I dare to think rather of 3rd and 4th ones although I really would like to make a note in my diary... Thanks.
based on time schedules we did when Nikolaus was on board and supposedly fully available we technically are a 5 to 8 months from actual shipping date. This however doesn't account for any delays caused by reorganization of the plan like needed now for the proto_v2 layout. Sorry I can't give any better estimation since I lack the crystal ball to know what's ahead. I wish I would know for sure. 2nd quarter is definitely out, 4th looks like a fair guess.

Originally Posted by Kabouik View Post
Thanks a lot for the very honest and transparent communication! I did not expect 2016 (I think I've read it somewhere a couple years ago, but thought it was not the current plan anymore), very good news!

I guess the software part might take longer to be 100% operational.
Software side becomes better and better over time, see Fremantle Porting Task Force thread. So depending on your definition of" 100% operational" I'd dare to say you will be able to run maemo fremantle on device and initiate and receive phonecalls from day-0, however some parts like camera and BT headset might not work optimally yet.
I know Pali and freemangordon have more to say about that - you're aware the Neo900 UG doesn't provide an OS on our own, we just support the community to make that happen, by providing info and infra and prototypes as needed.

[edit] also see http://mg.pov.lt/maemo-irclog/%23mae...03-23T16:51:52 ff for example

/j

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2016-03-24 at 11:11.

The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,918 | Thanked: 3,118 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ My pants
Originally Posted by Kabouik View Post
I'm afraid we are alter ego and should spend the rest of our life together. It's obvious that we are connected and should not waste it. I hope you're cute and don't snore too much, honey.
Whoah now that got 0-100 real quick.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ammyt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 283 | Thanked: 276 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ uk or @Pai,Mae Hong Son, Thailand
Ok, so I was sceptical, for a while, now I'm getting excited. The last of my 4 N900's died 6 months ago.

The Following User Says Thank You to macey For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
Originally Posted by ammyt View Post
Whoah now that got 0-100 real quick.
"Honey" was a bit too much. I edited, I don't want to rush things.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
For not-followers of Neo900 blog:
new blog post by hellekin.
Worth a read.

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on May 2015 @ Nigeria
Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
Well, a few guys working for Neo900 actually cost money per time, just like the infra and other administrative tasks and taxes do. I can't afford long delays (beyond 2016) unless I fire or suspend all staff and freeze the UG. Nothing to feel 'deeply worried' about though.
can you convince one of these lower android phone companies to take a look at maemo and neo900 project for investments, so they can worry about hardware supplies and fund, while you tender neofremantle porting? i believe if it works, the community will get stronger and better with adequate funding and time well managed. we can also convince webos community and symbian community to support maemo: have them port apps to neofremantle that way we have more numbers going for neo900 = more funds,stronger community. with this we can give maemo the opportuinity nokia failed to give.

The Following User Says Thank You to pharaoh94 For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by pharaoh94 View Post
can you convince one of these lower android phone companies to take a look at maemo and neo900 project for investments, so they can worry about hardware supplies and fund, while you tender neofremantle porting? i believe if it works, the community will get stronger and better with adequate funding and time well managed. we can also convince webos community and symbian community to support maemo: have them port apps to neofremantle that way we have more numbers going for neo900 = more funds,stronger community. with this we can give maemo the opportuinity nokia failed to give.
Can I be honest here?

Great idea but the numbers would invariably be far too low to get anybody to touch such a project. You'd incur the potential wrath of Microsoft, it'd be something that would only sell in the hundreds... not thousands or millions... but only hundreds.

And if it were to be as well built as the original N900, it'll end up being a device that won't be replaced for years, so repeat business would not be a factor or potential draw.

As it stands, the way they're approaching it has been perhaps one of the only ways that they could. Could they approach a company for founding of parts and whatnot; I would not be surprised (guessing 100% here) if that's already been done with varying results but none all too positive.

The plus side... I'd rather be wrong and there's a company that understands the community and wants to be a part of that and a be a part of the success. I'd love to see that happen.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Can I be honest here?

Great idea but the numbers would invariably be far too low to get anybody to touch such a project. You'd incur the potential wrath of Microsoft, it'd be something that would only sell in the hundreds... not thousands or millions... but only hundreds.

And if it were to be as well built as the original N900, it'll end up being a device that won't be replaced for years, so repeat business would not be a factor or potential draw.

As it stands, the way they're approaching it has been perhaps one of the only ways that they could. Could they approach a company for founding of parts and whatnot; I would not be surprised (guessing
100% here) if that's already been done with varying results but none all too positive.

The plus side... I'd rather be wrong and there's a company that understands the community and wants to be a part of that and a be a part of the success. I'd love to see that happen.
thats really educative but if comapanies are going to be hard to convince. we stick to merging other communities like what openmoko and maemo is working on now, we could expand.. go broader.. we have pandora,meego,symbian,web os,firefox os,bada... i'm pretty sure they might wanna help. if we could get them to order, easy access to funds,

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by pharaoh94 View Post
thats really educative but if comapanies are going to be hard to convince. we stick to merging other communities like what openmoko and maemo is working on now, we could expand.. go broader.. we have pandora,meego,symbian,web os,firefox os,bada... i'm pretty sure they might wanna help. if we could get them to order, easy access to funds,
I think in this case, somehow PayPal labeled the Neo900 incorrectly and that caused issues. Other endeavors as you have listed:
  • Pandora - very small sales
  • MeeGo - very dead, use Mer instead
  • Symbian - very dead, very closed - hacks are the workarounds
  • WebOS - actually quite active from what I've read around LuneOS
  • FirefoxOS - no clue, seemed to be iffy HTML5 over libhybris or something (won't lie, no clue here truly)
  • Bada - see also Tizen, very slow uptake so far
There's a ton of other options - like AsteroidOS, but in the end they're all small and tend to be stretched thin and in need of help. I'd love to see all or some of those do well.

But I'm not sure how it would benefit Neo900 directly. But mind you, I tend to play devil's advocate and remain skeptical until there's a product that I can purchase and see readily available support and/or code.

Let's see what happens and what are options. I know damn well that the guys in/around the Neo900 are way more knowledgeable than I in those regards.

Thanks for the healthy convo. You've expanded my thoughts on how this could succeed.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
I think in this case, somehow PayPal labeled the Neo900 incorrectly and that caused issues. Other endeavors as you have listed:
  • Pandora - very small sales
  • MeeGo - very dead, use Mer instead
  • Symbian - very dead, very closed - hacks are the workarounds
  • WebOS - actually quite active from what I've read around LuneOS
  • FirefoxOS - no clue, seemed to be iffy HTML5 over libhybris or something (won't lie, no clue here truly)
  • Bada - see also Tizen, very slow uptake so far
There's a ton of other options - like AsteroidOS, but in the end they're all small and tend to be stretched thin and in need of help. I'd love to see all or some of those do well.

But I'm not sure how it would benefit Neo900 directly. But mind you, I tend to play devil's advocate and remain skeptical until there's a product that I can purchase and see readily available support and/or code.

Let's see what happens and what are options. I know damn well that the guys in/around the Neo900 are way more knowledgeable than I in those regards.

Thanks for the healthy convo. You've expanded my thoughts on how this could succeed.
thanks a lot. you also educated me. lets wait and see how the resurrection of the sleeping beast turns out

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pharaoh94 For This Useful Post:

Tags
neo900, thank you!