The hardware is capable of lower brightness, but the UI doesn't permit it.

The Following User Says Thank You to shadowjk For This Useful Post:
Good to hear this. I would almost think something in the review has gone bad, maybe I'll try to contact them.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
The jPhone ll must be announced before end of year if jolla planning to ever grow. If not they have to be tiny until the end of days.

go and buy the current jPhone to support them!

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by robnas View Post
The "issues" with the hardware are these:
Brightness:
218 against 287 to 588 nits[...]
I think some of those numbers are quite wrong.
This article tells something different:
http://wpsailors.com/2013/11/29/joll...trast-average/

I also have had a Galaxy S3 for one year before I get my Jolla.
And I can say the screen is much better than the S3 one.
Its brighter and has much better colors. The S3 screen looks a bit like a gray veil lies over the screen when compared directly.
On the other hand Black level are much better on S3 and there is a slightly better sharpness. But the resolution difference sounds much worse than it is. The display looks sharp and only desktop-versions of hompages with small fonts and without zooming are not as sharp as on the S3.

Kamera startup:
Those numbers are definitely wrong. Start the camera for the first time is as fast as on the S3(sometimes even better) and when camera runs in background its faster.
But there is another thing, if you go back to homescreen there is no delay on the Jolla phone, but on all Android devices an especially on the S3 there is a long delay.
So on Jolla you can switch much faster between the apps.

I have uploaded a video to show this:
http://youtu.be/EjBSkQ3xoHw

Originally Posted by robnas View Post
The "issues" with the hardware are these:
Brightness:
218 against 287 to 588 nits[...]
I think some of those numbers are quite wrong.
This article tells something different:
http://wpsailors.com/2013/11/29/joll...trast-average/

I also have had a Galaxy S3 for one year before I get my Jolla.
And I can say the screen is much better than the S3 one.
Its brighter and has much better colors. The S3 screen looks a bit like a gray veil lies over the screen when compared directly.
On the other hand Black level are much better on S3 and there is a slightly better sharpness. But the resolution difference sounds much worse than it is. The display looks sharp and only desktop-versions of hompages with small fonts and without zooming are not as sharp as on the S3.

Kamera startup:
Those numbers are definitely wrong. Start the camera for the first time is as fast as on the S3(sometimes even better) and when camera runs in background its faster.
But there is another thing, if you go back to homescreen there is no delay on the Jolla phone, but on all Android devices an especially on the S3 there is a long delay.
So on Jolla you can switch much faster between the apps.

I have uploaded a video to show this:
http://youtu.be/EjBSkQ3xoHw

Last edited by Alfdererste; 2014-01-18 at 18:21. Reason: Typo

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Alfdererste For This Useful Post:
Who gives a damn about a new phone, I'd rather they polished Sailfish and got together with a few hardware manufactures, I feel like they have an ace up there sleeve.

The Following User Says Thank You to m4r0v3r For This Useful Post:
Posts: 356 | Thanked: 217 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Netherlands
@robnas
the author of the article allready commented on it: he didnt have the device for long as he wanted to return it to the owner before christmas, and there have been quire a lot of bugfixes since then.

Posts: 58 | Thanked: 63 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Marlborough, Wiltshire, UK
Sailfish needs to run in the real world to expose bugs and improve it. The more hardware platforms the better this process works.

Jolla needs to be planning jPhone2 and hopefully this time use chipset that supports FOSS and allows a reflash to factory default images by the hardware owner.

Richard

The Following User Says Thank You to richardski For This Useful Post:
Who gives a damn about a new phone...
The ones who uses it, about 99% of the members here that are using Jolla?
.....duh????

As I said before: I think it would be good to contact the makers of the review to see if they want to do it over. The numbers don't represent the user experience, so it seems...

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Even if software or you don't need a new phone... that is a must. The market needs it. jPhone ll is a must even if jolla only tweaking the hardware a bit. A new spec a new device a new name. All of that trigger sales and attention, unfortunately also costs .

If jolla can convince anyone else to release a sailfish device . Fine. But if they fail they need to release jPhone ll. I hope we hear something about new devices and plans at MWC next month.

Great story that must start all over again
http://stezz.blogspot.se/2014/01/a-j...hingMeaningful)

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2014-01-19 at 16:18.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post: