Closed Thread
Dave999: Can you please stop spreading the off-topic to this thread? It's supposed to be focused.

jalyst: I can make a PDF and send them to Jolla (I already proposed to do it a while ago, but it was put on hold).

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
You can call it an unlike way Dave

In another line of questioning, I am wondering what Jolla and the Sailfish group stance is on ensuring that are using ethically sourced materials for their devices? And if they can be confident of their manufacturers and partners are also keeping up with the ethical trade policies for their sources too?

That will probably need better wording to be honest, but you get the idea

The Following User Says Thank You to MINKIN2 For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
I think that's the least of their concerns at this nascent stage, they can hardly afford to be demanding/picky like other juggernauts of the industry.

Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
jalyst: I can make a PDF and send them to Jolla (I already proposed to do it a while ago, but it was put on hold).
Shmerl to the rescue again, thanks buddy, take your time to get it right, it still won't take as long as the BoD seemingly will.

Last edited by jalyst; 2013-01-10 at 18:01.

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
I think that's the least of their concerns at this nascent stage, they can hardly afford to be demanding/picky like other juggernauts of the industry.

Shmerl to the rescue again, thanks buddy, take your time to get it right, it still won't take as long as the BoD seemingly will.
Guys, please be patient! First of all, the BoD has to give time for community comments to come in and percolate. It was only yesterday that Jolla agreed to support a Sailfish on N900 project. Also, we've already had to say this to other members. The community has to stick together in its external communications in order to be as effective as possible. I hope you see from Jolla's response to the first letter that this won't be easy. At some point, we hope to have a President who will be responsible, but for now, if you have concerns, please email board@hildonfoundation.org.

Effective can also mean timely communication. I think enough time has passed to deliver the current list to Jolla, since it also contains proposals and ideas, not just questions.

The Following User Says Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
That last sentence of mine sounded rude, apologies if any offence was caused, not my intent.

BoD/Council has other things they need to focus on, primarily, not what the intent/focus of this thread is.
I had a lengthy chat with timsamof & the approach he outlined was very different to what we'd planned here.
We have a good system in place that has the potential serve us well, I think we should proceed.

At the very least we need an update & open dialogue here soon, not just in mail-lists etc...
So that everyone can: "hear from the horses mouth", agree/disagree with the new plan, suggest new or replacement ideas.
Instead of me relaying "supposed convos", which I'm reluctant to do anyway....

Last edited by jalyst; 2013-01-11 at 05:42. Reason: typo

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
That is an interesting point. We all know how many of the larger companies can handle fair trade and the ethical treatment of their staff...

Companies such as Nokia, Samsung, Sony (etc...) plough hundreds of millions in to the manufacturing industry to ensure good practices are met from the sourcing of raw materials to welfare of their staff.

However, here we have a rather unique chance to gain an insight into how a new start-up company who have the backing to meet high production figures are challenging this very subject, especially with a "limited" budget. Now of course I know they will not have the funding to donate back into the industry but are they actively seeking to have production from more ethically responsible manufacturers?

This can also be applied to the Sailfish organisation too as they seek out others to use the OS. Would Sailfish expect their prospective partners to meet any certain criteria before being accepted in to the group?

It would be interesting to hear their views on the topic and if they have addressed this as a concern.

Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
Some news vis-a-vis Ubuntu & Sailfish: http://aseigo.blogspot.com.au/2013/0...-together.html

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
So I saw some of the BoD reading this thread when I was posting #226, any chance we can get a bit of a dialogue/exchange going soon? TY.

Originally Posted by MINKIN2 View Post
That is an interesting point. We all know how many of the larger companies can handle fair trade and the ethical treatment of their staff...

Companies such as Nokia, Samsung, Sony (etc...) plough hundreds of millions in to the manufacturing industry to ensure good practices are met from the sourcing of raw materials to welfare of their staff.

However, here we have a rather unique chance to gain an insight into how a new start-up company who have the backing to meet high production figures are challenging this very subject, especially with a "limited" budget. Now of course I know they will not have the funding to donate back into the industry but are they actively seeking to have production from more ethically responsible manufacturers?

This can also be applied to the Sailfish organisation too as they seek out others to use the OS. Would Sailfish expect their prospective partners to meet any certain criteria before being accepted in to the group?

It would be interesting to hear their views on the topic and if they have addressed this as a concern.
Still think it's asking way too much at this early stage, if you push & push them about it they may eventually spit out some marketing spiel to sound okay in this area, but in reality there's little they can afford to do compared to others. There's other way more important things they need to focus on 1st, LOTS of little things that ensure they have success with their 1st few products, THEN they can focus on this area more heavily & in a truly effective manner. But, by all means add it to the doc if you think it's massively important...

Originally Posted by thedead1440 View Post
Some news vis-a-vis Ubuntu & Sailfish: http://aseigo.blogspot.com.au/2013/0...-together.html
Sounds great, but I doubt some of the high ideals he espouses there will ever truly be reached, sadly, same sort of stuff has been tooted many times in the past to no avail.
IMO Ubuntu/Sailfish/PA/BBX native dev will remain mostly separate, not ever "seamless", & even if it ever finally reaches that (lofty) goal, it'll probably be too late to matter.
I'd be very glad to be wrong about that though....

Last edited by jalyst; 2013-01-11 at 07:18.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Posts: 273 | Thanked: 463 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Athens
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
They may have it a bit more 'together' than you even realize and may come far sooner than you think:
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Ubu...oid,20305.html
I'm still waiting on those ubuntu tvs annouced last year lol. Without hardware partners Ubuntu phone wont go very far. Our best hope is still jolla IMO

The Following User Says Thank You to Zoxir For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
jolla, nokia-again?, not-so-open, totally closed, zipper is open