Hello all,

Unfortunately whilst at work some psycho ransacked my bag and has cracked the screen of my N900.

I was wondering if any of you were familiar with what to do in regards to having it repaired. I live in Queanbeyan, NSW, Australia. Can I send it away to be fixed? Do I have to notify them first? I called a 1300 number for Nokia but the help desk personnel weren't very clear on what to do.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Do not return the n900 to nokia, if you do you will get an N8 back (at best an E7 if you argue with them).

You will have to replace the LCD yourself (or get a local mobile phone chop-shop to do it). New LCDs cost around £15-25. It is a simple case of carefully opening the screen assembly up and dropping the new LCD in.

The Following User Says Thank You to vi_ For This Useful Post:
Wow, they replace the phone? Is that what happened to you?

That defeats the whole purpose. Work has offered to replace the phone (with a HTC, Apple equivalent) and I said I'd rather have my N900 back. I hope if I stipulate that a switch is not a viable option then they'll simply replace the screen.

I wouldn't get your hopes up. The n900 represents one of nokia's greatest embarrassments consequently they will do anything in their power to destroy and erase them from the annals of history. If you can keep your old n900, then take any replacement you can get sure. However if the n900 goes to nokia you can kiss it goodbye forever.

I have an unused digitizer if you are interested in purchasing it for a modest price. I bought it for my own use but stripped out the screws and decided to live with the hairline battlescar. PM if you want, make a reasonable offer and it's yours or anyone's for that matter.

If You have your device insured or whatsnot, using Nokia care - while still on warranty - can result in getting some dumb phone, that you can immediately sell on ebay, buy used N900 in ideal condition, and got another half as profit.

Seems more reasonable, than paying for new screen from your pocket, if You have some form of insurance.

As for regular warranty, they won't accept it, as screen broken due to mechanical damage is "user fault". So, if official warranty is only one thing You got, You need to replace screen Yourself/pay some repair center ridiculous ammount of money for this very easy operation (on N900, it is).

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Posts: 889 | Thanked: 2,087 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Manchester
Originally Posted by vi_ View Post
Do not return the n900 to nokia, if you do you will get an N8 back (at best an E7 if you argue with them).

You will have to replace the LCD yourself (or get a local mobile phone chop-shop to do it). New LCDs cost around £15-25. It is a simple case of carefully opening the screen assembly up and dropping the new LCD in.
Sadly I'm in need of a replacement LCD, are you speaking from experience here, can you (or anyone else) recommend a seller for said item, preferably in the UK?