Posts: 304 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ irvine
I just saw a commercial that connects to vhs and records to digital so you can make dvd or save it to your pc. Can this be done > !!!

Just food for thought !

i do believe the video out port on the n900 is just that, a video out; it can't receive data back in.

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 1,916 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Edmonton, AB
you could record it with the camera! lol

yeaH !!! wishfull thinking

Got. I would think a MAD DEVELOPER could tweak it , and make it work .!! i Guess i really think that this phone can do everything . This phone keeps on giving and giving

Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
A video out and a video in have no common electronics. Either use camera to shhot the screen or no dice.

You can go in reverse thoughh :P

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

The Following User Says Thank You to ndi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,062 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Boston, MA
might be possible using some wacky USB hardware and hostmode. probably better off just using a computer that has video in though.

Sick of your cell signal not reconnecting after coming out of a bad signal area? Vote for this bug.

Posts: 543 | Thanked: 151 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Germany
It would be possible with a simple tv-tuner connected via hostmode to the N900, though there exist no drivers yet :/

Posts: 1,522 | Thanked: 392 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ São Paulo, Brazil
Can a RCA video signal be converted into audio and fed thru an adapted audio cable, coming in as if it was from a microfone? And would the audio recording capabilities of the N900 have enough range and resolution to decode the video signal?

Short answer:
Without a USB video input box and a Linux driver, the N900 has no video input hardware.

**** around with your phone answer:
The N900's noise floor is pretty high for pure audio, and plus there is almost certainly filtering and compressing and echo-cancelling on the audio input. Treating video as an audio signal would result in those signal adjustments applying to the video and looking nasty.

However, even if you connect the yellow video-out cable to the N900's microphone-in (believe this is the "white ring" on your N900 video cable), at no point is a circuit converting this "audioized" video to RGB video for a computer screen. I don't think you can tell mencoder "this is an audio-digitized RCA signal of X voltage, convert to RGB".

It's a fun idea, since everything from Commodore 64 to modern games (Bangai-O for Nintendo DS) have used varieties audio signals to transfer arbitrary data. If you like trying stuff, go for it. If you just want video-in, use a USB device, build the source module, be ready to overclock your phone for performance, and cross your fingers.

Tags
iq lower than, nine.., one hundred