Notices

Posts: 6 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Romania
I have no idea where to post this, so, I apologise if it's in the wrong place.

I read about Debian and since 2 p.m., Deb Img Install is running. The problem is that it takes MORE than "up to an hour". It's 7p.m. now and it is not working. The text I get is something like this - first image attached. That was an hour ago. After a while, it gave me connection failed and asked me if I wanna try again or not. I said, ok, try again and now - see second image attached - and shows 0% instead of 7%. Does this mean that it has started fron scratch?

Why is this happening? What should I do?
Attached Images

Posts: 263 | Thanked: 77 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Sigtuna, Sweden
In my experience you need a good i-net connection.
Remember, the file is 300+ MByte.
So for a download within an hour you need ~1Mbit/s.

I just tested with a good wlan-i-net connection,
and interrupted the download with Ctrl-C.
Restarting the Debian-image-installer program
resumed download at the break-off-size of the file.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I just downloaded it yesterday with no problems, and it was surprisingly fast, but you could download it onto a PC and then transfer it via usb cable if your wireless connection is too slow for some reason.

Posts: 850 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by karaan25 View Post
Why is this happening? What should I do?
probably a caching issue or an issue with qole's site. i'm getting ~300 KByte/s currently, but i suspect his host has a cache near my location.

you could download that file directly and put it into your MyDocs folder. the installer will recognize it and continue installation.
(as per these instructions btw)

if you want to save time, you could even decompress it manually, using 7-zip or whatever on your pc, then copy the resulting 2 GB file ("debian-m5-v3d.img.ext2", note the missing .lzma) on the device.

Last edited by SubCore; 2010-11-09 at 19:59.

Thank you! I'll try everything possible and tell you how it went.

It went well. I saved the file on my SD and than I started OpenOffice to try it. But today it gave me an error and I finally gave up. I don't understand it so ... sorry... I'll find another way of playing with my N900 without Debian

Originally Posted by geneven View Post
I just downloaded it yesterday with no problems, and it was surprisingly fast, but you could download it onto a PC and then transfer it via usb cable if your wireless connection is too slow for some reason.
HOW to download directly on a PC?? i could'nt find any sites for easy debian from where i can download it for nokia n900....

Posts: 850 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by Soham View Post
HOW to download directly on a PC?? i could'nt find any sites for easy debian from where i can download it for nokia n900....
please look at my post (#4 in this thread).
i have both linked the file directly, and also the wiki page with the appropriate instructions.

The Following User Says Thank You to SubCore For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by SubCore View Post
please look at my post (#4 in this thread).
i have both linked the file directly, and also the wiki page with the appropriate instructions.
thanks a lot mate !! it worked wonders for me...

Tags
determination