Posts: 1,100 | Thanked: 2,797 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Netherlands
[QUOTE=pichlo;1552541]Trust me, it is. Not just upgrade, any reboot.

I was referring to the cron issue, not TOHOLED

The Following User Says Thank You to ade For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by ade View Post
I was referring to the cron issue, not TOHOLED
I know, But I was assuming the same issue affects both. I would happily be corrected.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
I know, But I was assuming the same issue affects both. I would happily be corrected.
I never noticed any misbehaving of cron during reboot, so I am not sure if we can be compared.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ade For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Yes, I agree with @ade the TOHOLED problem is not the same one that affects cron (and possibly also CallRecorder; however as it happens I did *not* shutdown CallRecorder and it didn't misbehave this time.. curiouser and curiouser)

Originally Posted by ade View Post
P.s. I always upgrade via the cli, maybe it is not an issue using the regular upgrade process (don't know what is active during that fase).
I can assure you the cron-goes-crazy affects also updates via UI; over the years I have done that sometimes and at least twice forgot to shutdown cron and had to go factory reset route.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 889 | Thanked: 2,087 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Manchester
It might be worth creating an update script that takes in the latest version from [1] then disables the cron jobs (edit: or shutdown cron) that cause issue before running the update.

[1] https://coderus.openrepos.net/whitesoft/sailversion

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mrsellout For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mrsellout View Post
It might be worth creating an update script that takes in the latest version from [1] then disables the cron jobs (edit: or shutdown cron) that cause issue before running the update.

[1] https://coderus.openrepos.net/whitesoft/sailversion
Or take the Patchmanager approach: a daemon that watches for an ssu version upgrade and in this case does not unapply patches, but stops a custom set of services.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ade For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Yes, I agree with @ade the TOHOLED problem is not the same one that affects cron
I am the last one to argue with those I am fully aware know better, but... are you sure?

My, totally naïve, layman understanding of the issue is that it affects any background service and the only difference between cron and TOHOLED is when the service starts.

But I may be wrong

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
That could explain it. It is a bummer, another thing to have to remember
Noted

Did someone notice the improvement of browser?
I just uploaded my first non-TXT attachment to TMO from the Jolla (I always neede to use N900 for that).
You may now (3.0.0.8) upload any files directly from file system!

So ... maybe if Jolla keep that pace 2023 will be the year I give up and leave my N900 in the drawer...

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 562 | Thanked: 2,744 times | Joined on Dec 2013 @ Espoo, Finland
I am the last one to argue with those I am fully aware know better, but... are you sure?

My, totally naïve, layman understanding of the issue is that it affects any background service and the only difference between cron and TOHOLED is when the service starts.

But I may be wrong
TOHOLED and TOHKBD2 issues were caused by udev rule starting the daemon and blocking stuff. This was fixed in previous update for tohkbd2, but now also fixed for toholed. (0.4.18 pushed for Harbour QA just a few minutes ago, took whole evening to update my J1 from 2.0.something to 3.0.x.x)

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to kimmoli For This Useful Post:
Well I'll be damned! Thanks, Kimmo, I can confirm it has really been fixed! Yaay!

So what happened in 2.1.1 that triggered it? Because I first experienced it on an upgrade to that OS version (and have been plagued with it ever since).

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post: