Originally Posted by TheKit View Post
Booting from stock slot doesn't work, as it was found in the topic before, I should have updated the first post to say this explicitly. For modern phone I would connect it to charger and leave for some time even if it doesn't display anything on screen, but not sure if this phone will charge without OS running, need someone who is more familiar to it to confirm. In the worst case you can use universal battery charger like this one.

Sorry that it went this way for you.
I don't blame you. I know that there are risks. I'm happy that there even is Sailfish OS port . I'm just wondering what went wrong?

My Droid 4 didn't charge during night so I already bought another Droid 4. I should get before end of this month. Then I have two units to play with . I'm sure I get the old one working again with fully charged battery.

I always make sure my battery level is fully charged before flashing. Would be even better if safestrap checks battery level before flashing or at least warns you.

@TheKit I don't care that much for stock OS so will replace that for SFOS or Lineage OS anyway. Any chance you will make it possible to flash stock with SFOS later?

@QWERTY_Slider pretty sure you are not the first with an issue like this and is not SFOS specific. You can also post your problem at the XDA forum if TheKit's suggestion doesn't work.
https://forum.xda-developers.com/droid-4

The Following User Says Thank You to t-b For This Useful Post:
Posts: 166 | Thanked: 454 times | Joined on Apr 2015 @ Poland
Originally Posted by t-b View Post
@TheKit I don't care that much for stock OS so will replace that for SFOS or Lineage OS anyway. Any chance you will make it possible to flash stock with SFOS later?
But why to remove installed stock ROM on stock slot when you can use safe slot to install Sailfish OS without any affecting the performance (in opposite to virtual slots 1-4)?
On my Droid 4 I currently have stock ROM (in case of problems), CM11 (in the safe slot - as the main used OS at the moment) and Sailfish OS on virtual slot 1 (for testing it out).

EDIT:
As I can see currently the fixboot.sh file inside ramdisk.img in the base CM11 build does not allow to install Sailfish OS in the safe slot. It recognizes only stock and virtual slots 1-4.
@TheKit Is it possible to include such a possibility in the next build?
It may be done as described here: http://www.internauta37.altervista.o...install-webtop
In case of problems I have encountered when following that - the block size must be equal before and after modification. Otherwise the OS won't boot.

Last edited by mp107; 2017-03-11 at 11:19. Reason: Fixed typo, added info about safe slot

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mp107 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mp107 View Post
But why to remove installed stock ROM on stock slot when you can use safe slot to install Sailfish OS without any affecting the performance (in opposite to virtual slots 1-4)
Well, basically only one reason. Not going to use it so keeping it is a waste of space.
In this case I agree it was my mistake to use stock slot initially though, I should have used a virtual slot because it is just an early port.

I blame lack of experience and lack of patience

The Following User Says Thank You to t-b For This Useful Post:
Well, basically only one reason. Not going to use it so keeping it is a waste of space.
In this case I agree it was my mistake to use stock slot initially though, I should have used a virtual slot because it is just an early port.
I agree - it wastes space. I haven't booted it at all since few months (~latest flashing).
But in case of problems might be useful.

I blame lack of experience and lack of patience
To be honest, shortly after I've bought the Droid 4 bricked it once or twice.

The Following User Says Thank You to mp107 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by QWERTY_Slider View Post
Something went horribly wrong! First I wiped everything excluding internal storage. Then I flashed CM11 and SFOS. I tried to boot but got black screen for about 10min. Then I rebooted to safestrap and selected ROM slot 1 instead of stock ROM. Then I tried flashing again and got black screen for 10min.

After that I was not able to boot safestrap again. I was able to boot AP Fastboot so I tried to flash FXZ. After 5min FXZ failed because I was out power. My Droid 4 doesn't charge anymore. I guess that I need new Droid 4 with fresh battery so that I'm able to recover my old Droid 4.

I don't know what I did wrong
It looks like you need a special cable (buy it or make it) to be able to bring it back to life without battery replacement.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...FBR9VBa80/edit
https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho....php?t=1077414

I haven't tested it on my own, though.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mp107 For This Useful Post:
Booting from stock slot doesn't work, as it was found in the topic before, I should have updated the first post to say this explicitly. For modern phone I would connect it to charger and leave for some time even if it doesn't display anything on screen, but not sure if this phone will charge without OS running, need someone who is more familiar to it to confirm. In the worst case you can use universal battery charger like this one.

I don't blame you. I know that there are risks so this is my own fault. I'm just happy that there is Sailfish OS port for Droid 4 .

My Droid 4 didn't charge during night so I bought another Droid 4. I should get it before end of this month. Then I have two units to play with . I'm sure that I will get the old one working again. I'm just wondering what went wrong in the first place. Was it that I used stock ROM slot at first?

It looks like you need a special cable (buy it or make it) to be able to bring it back to life without battery replacement.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...FBR9VBa80/edit
https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho....php?t=1077414

I haven't tested it on my own, though.
Yeah, I already searched over the net and found that thread. I don't mind to have two droid 4. I believe that it is the easiest method. Can't just wait to receive it .

PS: For some reason moderators blocked my previous post yesterday

The Following User Says Thank You to QWERTY_Slider For This Useful Post:
@TheKit
Where can/should I report bugs?

The Following User Says Thank You to mp107 For This Useful Post:
@TheKit
Where can/should I report bugs?
Here in topic, or create issues at https://github.com/NotKit/droid-config-maserati/issues.

EDIT:
As I can see currently the fixboot.sh file inside ramdisk.img in the base CM11 build does not allow to install Sailfish OS in the safe slot. It recognizes only stock and virtual slots 1-4.
@TheKit Is it possible to include such a possibility in the next build?
It may be done as described here: http://www.internauta37.altervista.o...install-webtop
In case of problems I have encountered when following that - the block size must be equal before and after modification. Otherwise the OS won't boot.
Missed your edit before. Safe slot should be supported in current (old) build. fixboot.sh isn't used by SailfishOS directly, but I integrated parts of it into SailfishOS ramdisk init script.

Last edited by TheKit; 2017-03-16 at 12:23.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheKit For This Useful Post:
Posts: 163 | Thanked: 279 times | Joined on Feb 2017 @ Tbilisi, Georgia (caucasus)
Booting from stock slot doesn't work, as it was found in the topic before, I should have updated the first post to say this explicitly. For modern phone I would connect it to charger and leave for some time even if it doesn't display anything on screen, but not sure if this phone will charge without OS running, need someone who is more familiar to it to confirm. In the worst case you can use universal battery charger like

Thr phone will not charge without os on it. One way to fix this is to take out the battery find its + and - terminals and charge it with 5 v for about 10-15 minutes. This will revive the battery.

Tags
droid, hwkbd, sailfish os, xt894