Notices

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by Kossuth View Post
I could not get the AAC recording to work. It onle recorded two clicks and nothing else.
Hmm. I have to admit, I don't have a good handle on the workings of the GStreamer encoders yet. I haven't seen this particular behavior myself, but I have been having a lot of trouble with some of the encoders producing bad data. It could be that I just don't have them set up right; or, there could be something environmental that is affecting the GStreamer pipeline.

If I can ask, were you running anything else at the same time as Orecchiette? Since GStreamer consumes so much CPU, I would guess that other CPU-intensive apps might affect it...

Other thing I noticed is that if I adjust the output volume to zero (muted) the output is no longer recorded. The output volume does not have other effects on the recording only the mute.
Hmm. I'm using something called "sink.hw0.monitor" to access the output data stream. So far as I know, none of the GStreamer elements themselves currently react to the volume controls, so I would guess that this muting effect must be built in to hw0 in some manner. I'll investigate.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
While idea with tags is great in itself, please allow to still put phone number into filename (via configurable string) - for some people, like me, who mostly browse recorded files via terminal, it makes life much easier.
Ah, cool. Actually, if I may ask, what would you most like to see in a filename? I'd like to find a way to pack as much data in to one as I can, without making it completely unwieldy. For example, I was thinking that perhaps a timestamp with just the day, and not the hour and minute might be good enough. (Besides, the files are themselves timestamped...)

the point is, that changing volume via hardware volume rockers doesn't affect volume during recording (as expected, it would be silly to have it otherwise),
Well, actually, using GStreamer, it looks like you can change the volume during recording. (In fact, having Orecchiette grab the volume rocker controls itself would probably be the easiest way to avoid the muting issue, and would allow me to use them for true volume control if you wanted...)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
Ah, cool. Actually, if I may ask, what would you most like to see in a filename? I'd like to find a way to pack as much data in to one as I can, without making it completely unwieldy. For example, I was thinking that perhaps a timestamp with just the day, and not the hour and minute might be good enough. (Besides, the files are themselves timestamped...)
Date and phone number (of other party, obviously) sounds like OK. Hour and minute is useful in manipulating files through ls, find and friends, but it can be done with timestamps, too (with more hassle, but still.)

But, let's just assign all available elements to things like $day, $month, $year, $hour, $minute, $second, $number, etc, and let user arrange it any way she/he feel fancy, for example, via some text field. So, user would be able to put just day-month here, or, if willing to, something like:

Code:
That nerdy $phone at $hour:$minute -$year, $month-$day
...to get a "That nerdy +48957876567 at 04:00:20 - 2013, 06-13.spx" filename. (extreme example, with non-changing elements, variables, and whitespaces). This way, everybody will be happy, and (correct me if I'm wrong) it shouldn't be too hard to code.

Well, actually, using GStreamer, it looks like you can change the volume during recording. (In fact, having Orecchiette grab the volume rocker controls itself would probably be the easiest way to avoid the muting issue, and would allow me to use them for true volume control if you wanted...)
No, please don't! It would be extremely silly to record FM program while listening to it, then, change volume for <whatever> reason, and get rest of it recorded on different volume level. Or same with conversation. By any means, please, lets just record things in less possible processed form (by volume, filters, etc). The earliest in "pipeline" the source is, the better. Volume control for recording in Orecch' sounds acceptable (but I still don't see real reason for it - everyone can fiddle with volume level in <random> editing program, later, lossless, in most cases).

This bring another question - as you may be aware, N900 have software'ish high-pass filter set to audio output, when using build-in speakers (unless you manually force sound there by going around this mechanism). This is meant to prevent speakers from blowing up due to out of range low sounds. This high-pass filter isn't active, while listening via headphone.

I wonder, do we record "early enough" in sound sources to bypass it? Recording after high-pass wouldn't be optimal, to say at least. (I'll try to search for exact data about that filter, later - as I remember details somehow vaguely - unless you nanage to be faster).

Actually, I think I saw something like that in the "Babyphone" app. I'm kinda nervous about how much more pressure it would place on the CPU, though... I'll take a look.
Disableable, please (for mentioned performance, or just power-savings/aesthetic reasons).

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Last edited by Estel; 2013-06-12 at 03:55.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Disableable, please
Or not at all Please note that it only makes sense - practical sense that is, other than for aesthetic purposes - to have it if we also have some editing functionality. I frequently used it in Sound Recorder in Windows to find silence. No cutting = no need to find silence = no need for visualization.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:

I could not get the AAC recording to work. It onle recorded two clicks and nothing else.

Hmm. I have to admit, I don't have a good handle on the workings of the GStreamer encoders yet. I haven't seen this particular behavior myself, but I have been having a lot of trouble with some of the encoders producing bad data. It could be that I just don't have them set up right; or, there could be something environmental that is affecting the GStreamer pipeline.

If I can ask, were you running anything else at the same time as Orecchiette? Since GStreamer consumes so much CPU, I would guess that other CPU-intensive apps might affect it...
Nothing else extra going on in the background. Tried after rebootin the phone, and same behavior. All I need to do to overcome this bug is go once to the preferences window and choose WAV as the preferred format and then change it back. It feels like the the codec choice is empty when the app starts (it shows the AAC, maybe because it cant show empty field) and I have to go and make one choice to get it working. After that it works as planned. I'm not sure if anyone else has this problem, it might be just my system and if it is, I think it is not worth investigating further.

And what comes to the volume rocker function, what I meant was what Estel described exactly. The muting causes the recording to record nothing and that might be a problem in some instances. I think the volumerocker should have no impact on the recorded sound level. I think this concern is somewhat to do with the Estel "do we record early enough" question and thinking that minimum number of system parts can alter/screwup/slowdown the recording.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kossuth For This Useful Post:
[OT] Copernicus, idea for very good application, that struck me today (idea, not application) - as I didn't want to hijack any pasta thread with long, unrelated noise, I created thread about it:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=1351387
[/OT]
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
Nothing else extra going on in the background. Tried after rebootin the phone, and same behavior. All I need to do to overcome this bug is go once to the preferences window and choose WAV as the preferred format and then change it back. It feels like the the codec choice is empty when the app starts (it shows the AAC, maybe because it cant show empty field) and I have to go and make one choice to get it working. After that it works as planned. I'm not sure if anyone else has this problem, it might be just my system and if it is, I think it is not worth investigating further.
I just tested it (thanks Copernicus!) and got exactly the same behaviour. Other than that, great app!

(I still have to test recording phone calls, need some kind of controlled environment with an informed partner..)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by reinob View Post
(I still have to test recording phone calls, need some kind of controlled environment with an informed partner..)
This is one of those situations when having a PAYG SIM card comes in useful. I just use the "check remaining credit" service for testing of this kind

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
This is one of those situations when having a PAYG SIM card comes in useful. I just use the "check remaining credit" service for testing of this kind
Why didn't I think of that. I actually (only) have a prepaid SIM card.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Or not at all Please note that it only makes sense - practical sense that is, other than for aesthetic purposes - to have it if we also have some editing functionality. I frequently used it in Sound Recorder in Windows to find silence. No cutting = no need to find silence = no need for visualization.
Yeah, I'm thinking if editing functionality is required, it'd probably be better implemented as a "side dish" to Orecchiette.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:

Tags
nokia n900, pasta, recording