Posts: 1,665 | Thanked: 1,649 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Praha, Czech Republic
Also see https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=3943#c2 for a workaround:

"You can workaround this by stopping mce, and then completing the update.

# /etc/init.d/mce stop
# dpkg --configure -a

and maybe

# apt-get -f install

but you know that."

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Andre Klapper For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,665 | Thanked: 1,649 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Praha, Czech Republic
Ah yeah: And please answer Marius' questions in that bug report so we can track this down. :-)

Originally Posted by Andre Klapper View Post

# /etc/init.d/mce stop
# dpkg --configure -a

and maybe

# apt-get -f install

but you know that."
that finally did the trick
...thank you all for your precious help and especially Marius (see details on bug report link) for pointing out the details and solution to my problem.

Originally Posted by Marius
[...] If the update is interrupted (battery falling out of the device, say), the
device tries to complete the update in 'rescue mode' (red text during booting).
In that scenario, mce fails to configure for some reason.

[...] mce can not be started when it is already running. That's why it
fails to configure itself. I'd say that's a bug in mce.

Bug reports 3938 and 3948 are "duplicates". Do you have a GNU ls somewhere on the path? What happens if you type "ls -Q" (-Q is invalid in the provided busybox version of ls).

"ls -Q" is not supported and returns "ls: invalid option -- Q" ...

Same mess when I tried to upgrade to 36-5 on dual boot. What a disaster! Luckily I had a backup sdhc with entire setup but even then I had to go into flash side and reinstall Fanoush boot because it kept looping to start every time I tried booting under mmc1. Worst upgrade yet. Yikes!! Hildon-app-manager, hildon-desktop, dbus-scripts,icd2, bluez-utilitls, etc... are all a mess! I can't upgrade any of it even on my backup! Did Taliban infiltrate your upgrade servers. Stopping mce helped but what a mess I've got. Any ideas? Please don't suggest re-flashing, it would take weeks to re-install everything. TIA

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by dan View Post
Same mess when I tried to upgrade to 36-5 on dual boot. What a disaster! Luckily I had a backup sdhc with entire setup but even then I had to go into flash side and reinstall Fanoush boot because it kept looping to start every time I tried booting under mmc1. Worst upgrade yet. Yikes!! Hildon-app-manager, hildon-desktop, dbus-scripts,icd2, bluez-utilitls, etc... are all a mess! I can't upgrade any of it even on my backup! Did Taliban infiltrate your upgrade servers. Stopping mce helped but what a mess I've got. Any ideas? Please don't suggest re-flashing, it would take weeks to re-install everything. TIA
This took me only couple hours, from beginning to finish, 33 progs installed, http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=25673. If you have NOT messed it up, do a backup, reflash, restore, done in less than 2 hrs, it restore ALL your settings, including wifi and passwords. If you already messed up, even better, now it is a good time to do pick and choose what progs you really want.

Here is the complete package, upgrade/bootmenu/clone, http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=25777

bun

Love you Bun but I've got 6 partitions between two 32gb sdhc cards with over 200 apps, my own custom menu system, Debian, KDE, Android, game ports, bluetooth custom config with my office equipment, wifi hacking tools, hidden encryption partitions, etc.... It would take weeks to get my system back to where it is now. That is why I made a mirror backup card. All apps and partitions installed before upgrade fiasco are working on my backup card I just can't update anything. I would like to figure out why when server breaks connection while upgrading the entire upgrade permanently trashes your existing setup only for upgrading. There should be a way to go in and fix each component that got trashed, ex: hildon app manager, hildon desktop,icd2, dbus-scripts, etc...

Your writeup is amazing I've used it in the past.

This time I want to get help in figuring a way to work around this if it happens again. I need to understand before I can figure out solution.
I need the A-Team of this community to help figure this one out that includes you Bun. TIA

The Following User Says Thank You to dan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 609 | Thanked: 232 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ the end of my rope
After following the mce workaround, I can't shutdown or reboot. I tried to use Advanced Power and the hardware power button. Nothing. I have just rebooted using "reboot" from cli, but did anyone else have this problem?

Posts: 546 | Thanked: 85 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Winnipeg, Canada
Originally Posted by Andre Klapper View Post
Also see https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=3943#c2 for a workaround:

# /etc/init.d/mce stop
# dpkg --configure -a

and maybe

# apt-get -f install

but you know that."
Thanks for that. I've been busy for a while so just got around to figuring out how to fix my N810 update. I also had the same problem with all of mediaplayer-daemon. libmediaplayer0, mce & metalayer-crawler0 (in that order). Only by shutting all of them down was I able to properly configure them, as well as osso-software-version-rx44. TX
N800 | 2 x 8gb OCX SD | Boxwave Anti-glare SS | PDAir book-style case
Holux M-1200 bluetooth GPS | iGo 4-row bluetooth keyboard | Linksys USB 10/100 ethernet | Plantronics Voyager 855 BT Headset