Posts: 191 | Thanked: 29 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Ottawa
Hi All,

After running Diablo for a month, I have given up and downgraded back to OS2007 (I didn't spend more than a day in OS2008).

The reason for the move is the inability of Nokia to fix the BT keyboard problem not typing (see bug 3532 https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=3532)

Everyone uses the IT differently. For me, it is a little laptop, which I use to take a lot of notes when paired with my iGo keyboard. This bug will allow the keyboard to pair, but not type into any of the applications.

So yesterday I flashed back to OS2007, and I remembered some of the other Diablo oddities I had been living with like:
o "Lock touch screen and keys" doesn't blank the screen right away as it does in 2007
o BT keyboard doesn't lose characters while pairing (Diablo loses the first couple of words, if you keep on typing)
o OS2007 uses less memory, about 20% less
o Desktop doesn't crash on my N800 (see bug 2616)

What am I giving up by moving backwards (besides the above frustrations) you may ask? For my use, I am only giving up the cool app usbcontrol, which permits mounting of USB flash drives. But I found I didn't use that feature enough to justify all the other frustrations with Diablo.

My 2 cents: Don't upgrade unless there is a compelling application or function which requires it.

Craig...

Posts: 1,665 | Thanked: 1,649 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Praha, Czech Republic
Well, I can understand the frustration but I can also understand Nokia not being able to fix support for every keyboard out there in only a few weeks - sorry in your case.
Thanks for your bug reports, it's helpful and the right way to go.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Andre Klapper For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Originally Posted by cvmiller View Post
My 2 cents: Don't upgrade unless there is a compelling application or function which requires it.
Too late...

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
o "Lock touch screen and keys" doesn't blank the screen right away as it does in 2007
Hmm, I'm pretty sure that you can edit mce.ini in Chinook and Diablo to modify the timeouts.

What am I giving up by moving backwards (besides the above frustrations) you may ask? For my use, I am only giving up the cool app usbcontrol, which permits mounting of USB flash drives. But I found I didn't use that feature enough to justify all the other frustrations with Diablo.
I'm not sure if the kernel with OS2007 supports USB Host or if you have to patch the kernel manually (http://www.muru.com/linux/n800-usb-host/)

Either way, usbcontrol is a python app so with a bit of hacking it probably would run in OS2007. I'll see if I can do it sometime using Hrw's emulated N800. If not,

# echo host > /sys/devices/platform/musb_hdrc/mode

Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post
Hmm, I'm pretty sure that you can edit mce.ini in Chinook and Diablo to modify the timeouts.
When I upgrade (at some point in the future), I'll give that a try. Thanks.

Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post
I'm not sure if the kernel with OS2007 supports USB Host or if you have to patch the kernel manually (http://www.muru.com/linux/n800-usb-host/)

Either way, usbcontrol is a python app so with a bit of hacking it probably would run in OS2007. I'll see if I can do it sometime using Hrw's emulated N800. If not,

# echo host > /sys/devices/platform/musb_hdrc/mode
Apparently, the OS2007 kernel does not (without patches). But as I said, it wasn't a feature I used all that much. I require a BT keyboard all the time, reading a USB stick rarely.

Thanks,

Craig...

Originally Posted by Andre Klapper View Post
Well, I can understand the frustration but I can also understand Nokia not being able to fix support for every keyboard out there in only a few weeks - sorry in your case.
Thanks for your bug reports, it's helpful and the right way to go.
Thanks for all your help Andre. I understand that fixing something in a month is not realistic. I was really hoping for the bug to be confirmed (as in New), and possibly a suggestion for a work-around. The iGo keyboard is supported just fine in OS2007, so it was already supported. This is something that was broken in OS2008/Diablo.

In addition, I don't think this is a BT keyboard problem. The keyboard pairs just fine (even in the can't type mode). That is the pairing accepts the 4 digits require to pairing. I think the problem is higher up in the HID kernel thread, since a keypress would result in increasing the backlight to full, and hide the onscreen keyboard (so something was understanding that the keyboard was there).

Perhaps the next OS (OS2009?) will be an improvement.

thanks again,

Craig...

I wasn't aware there was a problem using iGo keyboards in OS2008. Another reason to stay with OS2007 for a while more then.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by TA-t3 View Post
I wasn't aware there was a problem using iGo keyboards in OS2008. Another reason to stay with OS2007 for a while more then.
Generally speaking, there isn't. I use two with multiple N800s and 770s all in OS2008 without issue. This sounds like an issue peculiar to this person's setup.

No problem too with a igo stowaway under Diablo.

Tags
os2007 diablo di-a-blow