Posts: 95 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Miami & London
One advantage of Opera was that some websites recognize it as a "mobile" browser, but recognize Mozilla as a PC browser and will not permit access to streamlined versions of their sites. For example, if you go to...

mobile.nytimes.com

...with Opera the content is optimized for a small screen. However, if you use Mozilla you are redirected to...

nytimes.com

Is there a way to change the information the Mozilla browser transmits to the site that will identify it as a mobile device?

Posts: 49 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Paderborn / Germany
I do not have a tablet at hand to test, but it should work:
http://johnbokma.com/mexit/2004/04/2...useragent.html

Just tested on the N810. Redirects you to www.nytimes.com which. by the way, takes FOREVER to load via EDGE.

The idea of the Internet Tablet is to have a fully-fledged, not a cut-down, version of the Internet in your pocket. However, I do agree that sites should make cut-down versions readily available; not by default though.

At best the tablet will "approach" full internet access because sites designed for 15+ inch screens are often not useable on the 4 inch display. There is also the lack of a browser integrated Java virtual machine.

I'm not complaining, Mozilla has allowed access to many sites that Opera could not handle, but on the N800 I could switch between the two browsers and have the best of both.

Posts: 130 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Maine & Florida - USA
Hopefully designers / design teams will start to take mobile devices more and more into considerations when these MID & UMPC go more mainstream.

It doesn't hurt to write the sites in question a quick note that their site does not render at all or renders very poorly at 800x480. They may not listen, but should take notice at least.

Originally Posted by icerabbit View Post
Hopefully designers / design teams will start to take mobile devices
Some have, that's why sites like mobile.nytimes.com exist. The problem is that some site operators will not allow PC browsers to access these version because, I suppose, it undermines their advertising revenue.

quick note that their site does not render at all or renders very poorly at 800x480.
Resolution is only part of the equation. Elements that might work well on a 12 inch 800 x 600 display may be indecipherable on 800 pixel 4 inch screen. I would simply like to have the option to take advantage of the low graphics versions that already exist for cellphones and similar devices.

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Maybe the WMLBrowser extension would help?

http://browser.garage.maemo.org/docs/extension.html

Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
Maybe the WMLBrowser extension would help?

http://browser.garage.maemo.org/docs/extension.html
A lot of the "mobile" sites aren't WML, though. Most mobile browsers these days are real (but limited) HTML interpreters, so the mobile site is just simplified HTML with some design changes (less content, smaller images, less dependence on javascript/mouse).

As a website developer, I'm a bit torn on how to handle this browser now that I have one in my hands. It renders my main application quite well and the majority of the functionality works, so I don't want to force the user to use the mobile site if they want the slower loading version.

As a side note, I never force the browser to go to the desktop if they visit the mobile site. It doesn't have advertising, though, so there's no real concern if the user wants to browse the simplified version.

NYTimes appears to be filtering on more than just the user agent, sadly. Changing it to both a blackberry's and a windows mobile's UA still redirects me to the main site.

For the best experience on a portable device, why not subscribe to the sites RSS/atom feed(s)?