Posts: 362 | Thanked: 145 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Sydney, Australia
Hi
I'm about to upgrade from a 770 to 810.
One of the main things I wanted to use it for, is as a movie viewer for my son when we a driving long hauls.

As he is only 2 years old - headphones is not an option, so I wanted to hear whether anyone can give me info about speaker quality + level the N810 can output.

Are the speakers good - and loud enough to be used in a car scenario? (driving as fast as possible on the German autostrada ).

The quality is pretty impressive for the size of the device and speakers, everything comes through pretty clear but of course you won't get too much bass. Cars really vary in how quite their interiors are so I couldn't quite tell you whether or not it would work, you can get some decent volume but just remember how small the device is.

The Following User Says Thank You to Benz145 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,107 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Germany
Just got a N810. Speakers extremely distorted and 1/3 the volume of the 770. Distortion persists even at 1/2 volume. Max volume is about so low to make it difficult or impossible to carry-on a 'speakerphone' conversation on a bus/train. Headphone quality is good.

Now i'm guessing that I have a defective unit, but I'd like to hear from others (with decent hearing) who could compare sound between N810 and 770. Is it clear-sounding, or does it sound like guitar-fuzz?

Posts: 142 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ London
I think your unit may be faulty. I can play LastFM radio at close to full volume with very little distortion. It's not hi-fi -obviously, but well acceptable for such a small unit.
I think, though, that for what you want a dedicated dvd player might be better - and cheaper.

The Following User Says Thank You to lemmy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 362 | Thanked: 145 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Sydney, Australia
thanks for the info guys. Time to get into portable dvd players that play divx/xvid....

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
I tried my N810 as a music player in car today, and volume was good enough even on the motorway. But then it was evening traffic and I hardly couldn't go faster than 130 km/h.
Sound quality is not Hi-Fi but I find it to be way better than it was on the 770.

Originally Posted by ArnimS View Post
Just got a N810. Speakers extremely distorted and 1/3 the volume of the 770. Distortion persists even at 1/2 volume. Max volume is about so low to make it difficult or impossible to carry-on a 'speakerphone' conversation on a bus/train. Headphone quality is good.

Now i'm guessing that I have a defective unit, but I'd like to hear from others (with decent hearing) who could compare sound between N810 and 770. Is it clear-sounding, or does it sound like guitar-fuzz?
I can't compare the sound quality to the 770, but it is pretty good on my 810, it depends on what you are listening to, the volume is also adjustable in the media player. I tried several internet radio stations with excellent results. I also connected it to my home stereo using a stereo adapter with a mini plug on one end (it fits the 810) and the other end has RCA left and right stereo outputs, the results are stunning, better sound quality than XM radio on my Directv system.

does anyone have a n800 and a n810? it seems that the n800 speaker seems much bigger than the n810 but for the speaker size of the n810 the sound quality is impressive.

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Originally Posted by philmcneal View Post
does anyone have a n800 and a n810? it seems that the n800 speaker seems much bigger than the n810 but for the speaker size of the n810 the sound quality is impressive.
I have both, and no other internet tablet beats the N800's speakers. The N810's speaker quality is somewhere in between the 770 and the N800.
But yes, for the speaker size, the N810 is quite impressive.