Posts: 286 | Thanked: 100 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ down south
hows is it selfish?? i paid for a phone that was touted to be open software with no limitations..yet the god squad on here seem intent on enforcing rules that even nokia themselves did not agree with?? again..advertising emu on n900 etc...anyways this is all in vain because as i said we can always host elsewhere so....

The Following User Says Thank You to dread123 For This Useful Post:
dread123: Since when are ROMs open software? Or wasn't that what you meant?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TA-t3 For This Useful Post:
no the linux system is open software!

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Anyone who can find non-PD games for the emulators can find any required BIOS files too, usually from the same sources. The BIOSes should definitely not be distributed by maemo.org unless permission is granted, (like with the Spectrum BIOS).

Anyone into emulation will come across the same issue when running the emulator on desktop operating systems. This is a well-known issue, and well documented on emulation sites, so there's no need for hysterics about maemo.org being awkward on this.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pelago For This Useful Post:
>no the linux system is open software!
Yes. And? What's that got to do with not allowing copyrighted material (without permission) in repositories?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TA-t3 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 60 | Thanked: 73 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ troll cave
The user-friendly way of separating ROMs from emulators is simple.

1) ship emulator without ROMs (or any other copyrighted material you don't have permission to redistribute!)
2) When emulator starts and it can't find the ROM it needs:
- show a popup "download ROM files [ok/cancel]"
3) hitting OK the emulator proceed to wget the rom file from a host online.

This ofcourse means the emulator developer needs to find a web host for the roms, which will then take the legal risk. Indeed, the people in this thread who think roms should stay, would probably make the best candidates as hosters

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to suihkulokki For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post
You're right: That is a **** argument. I just find this whole thread reminiscent of Wikipedia's deletion policies (and people may remember from IRC what I think of the people who carry them out).

Anyway, I've given my view. I've been on this forum long enough to know that the majority rules and dread123 and I seem to be in the minority.
yeah i'll finish here too mate..cant be bothered...plus wife and kids calling now and more important things to do.

Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by TA-t3 View Post
I don't see why a discussion is even necessary.
1) Emulators are fine.
2) Copyrighted material (ROMs): Only copyright holders can give you permission to use it. That's the law. So, ROMs are not fine.
3) Keep 1), remove 2) (if any) from the repositories.
It's not as simple. Without 2, some applications in set 1 will not run (and thus maybe not even be able to enter Extras). Thus some will then try to create a Fedora-like rule where "no application requiring external, proprietary files to do anything useful will be allowed in the repositories" (note: this is not the actual rule but a very mutated one).

My personal vote here is to do as TA-t3 says and allow the distribution of "1"; for example, you could make "1" autodownload the required files from some other site (like the copyright holder's own site if they're redistributing the files -- think flashplayer). Clearly, packages doing this will have to go to non-free.

EDIT:I see that I was too slow writing this

Originally Posted by suihkulokki View Post
This ofcourse means the emulator developer needs to find a web host for the roms, which will then take the legal risk. Indeed, the people in this thread who think roms should stay, would probably make the best candidates as hosters
I am still a bit worried about allowing this if the copyright holder is clearly against it.

Last edited by javispedro; 2010-03-31 at 14:27.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by dread123 View Post
hows is it selfish?? i paid for a phone that was touted to be open software with no limitations..yet the god squad on here seem intent on enforcing rules that even nokia themselves did not agree with?? again..advertising emu on n900 etc...anyways this is all in vain because as i said we can always host elsewhere so....
Please refrain from namecalling and other such tactics, thanks. That works against you in a discussion.

You need to separate the two situations here. It's been made very clear by other posters so no need for me to rehash the wisdom of others.

And note that Nokia is also opposed to redistributing the proprietary works of others without permission.

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Originally Posted by dread123 View Post
[...]yet the god squad on here
Indeed. fms said it best, so I'll just quote him:
Originally Posted by fms View Post
[...]I think I am starting to understand all these policy-creating people: forcing others into their policy gives them a feeling of accomplishment without doing any actual work, doesn't it?
It isn't legal, yes, but it hasn't been a problem before (don't give me that Nintendo ****; Nokia brought that one on themselves) and Vice isn't the first emulator to go to Extras with ROMs included. It hasn't been a problem before, so maybe the people arguing now are just bored perhaps (me included).

The Following User Says Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:

Tags
community, copyright, piracy, policy, repository, responsibility