Active Topics

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by Jack6428 View Post
would it be possible to plug-in a USB keyboard ?
USB keyboards work with existing tablets, and yes, they'll work with Maemo 5 devices too.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 635 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Black Mesa Research Facility
Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
USB keyboards work with existing tablets, and yes, they'll work with Maemo 5 devices too.
hey, that is great! thanks for the reply...it will come in handy on some conference/press events when ill be writing articles.. are they expensive? im not sure wheter there are some specific for these tablets..?

are they expensive? im not sure wheter there are some specific for these tablets..?
No, a special USB keyboard is not necessary. Nearly any one will work. Fancy, expensive keyboards with backlit or LCD-display keys may draw too much power to function, and oddball keyboards that require Windows-only drivers will cause trouble, but your basic USB keyboard will just require a Micro USB adapter. Then it's plug and go.

Posts: 635 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Black Mesa Research Facility
No, a special USB keyboard is not necessary. Nearly any one will work. Fancy, expensive keyboards with backlit or LCD-display keys may draw too much power to function, and oddball keyboards that require Windows-only drivers will cause trouble, but your basic USB keyboard will just require a Micro USB adapter. Then it's plug and go.
thats amazing..i never thought that would be possible like 5yrs ago...with such a small device..out of curiousity, would a bluetooth keyboard work aswell? although i guess it would drain more power right?

...would a bluetooth keyboard work aswell?
Bluetooth keyboards work with all existing Maemo devices and will work with Maemo 5 devices also. Before purchasing a Bluetooth keyboard check its technical specifications though.

Bluetooth keyboards come in two varieties: HID (Human Interface Device) and SPP (Serial Port Profile). Bluetooth HID keyboards require no drivers and easily and immediately work with Maemo devices as soon as they're paired. Bluetooth SPP keyboards require drivers, and while they often can be made to work, it's not nearly as easy. Thankfully, most modern Bluetooth keyboards are of the HID type.

although i guess it would drain more power right?
I wouldn't count on that. Bluetooth is designed for low power, mobile use, while USB keyboards are generally designed for desktop computers. In the end, neither should draw too much power though.

The Following User Says Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
@Jack6428
In case you're interested in Bluetooth keyboards, I bought a palm 3245WW from ebay for around $50US, and it was worth every penny. I use it with my N810.

Here are some of its great features:
1) It's quite large, has a full 5-rows of keys (no hitting Fn for numbers), 2) is a pleasure to type on (bigger and better than my netbook keyboard),
3) takes two AAs that last a LONG time,
4) one less step than having to plug the device in, and feels more 'stable' in use. IMO fewer cords is always a good thing (especially around a cuppa in a cafe),
5) has a built in adjustable stand which keeps the device securly in place, and
6) is a standard Bluetooth keyboard that will work with any device that supports BT keyboards.
7) really handy to just whip out and quickly use. Great for taking notes/composing emails/etc.
8) does not drain device power in a significant way.

Here are some cons:
1) It's bluetooth and as such insecure (from what I've read) -- I use the my device keypad to enter any sensitive information (eg. passwords).
2) It's a bit bigger than pocketable (unless you have *big* pockets -- or are wearing a coat), but I just leave it in my bag and it's ready to go.
3) On the N810 there's a terrible lag with text entry, but this is certainly the N810 implementation. I hope the N900 has better support built in.
4) Instructions for first-time pairing are a bit cryptic, but just ask around the forum if you get stuck.

All in all, I give it a hearty recommend. If you have the opportunity, try one out, or read online reviews!

}:^)~

I wouldn't count on that. Bluetooth is designed for low power, mobile use, while USB keyboards are generally designed for desktop computers. In the end, neither should draw too much power though.
Yeah. I suspect because the device will be passively listening for the keyboard events, it'll use far less power than if it were transmitting information. But BT can be a power-hog otherwise.

My BT keyboard uses an unnoticable amount of power from the device.

Posts: 40 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Monterrey Mexico
Hi this is my very first participation (I am from Mexico so please be tolerance with my English )

What about using QuickSynergy It will be awesome to be working at home or work station and just move your mouse and interact with your mobile device.

The Following User Says Thank You to matristain For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by matristain View Post
Hi this is my very first participation (I am from Mexico, so please be patient with my English )

What about using QuickSynergy It would be awesome to be working at home or at a work station and just move your mouse to interact with your mobile device.
(Great post! I thought I'd help with your english by making a few corrections above. I did it only to be helpful so please do not take it as a sign of disrespect!)

I think QuickSynergy sounds really cool! There's a program called BlueMaemo for the N8x0 devices that essentially turns the tablet into a bluetooth keyboard and mouse device. It's like quicksynergy, only backwards. But having the ability to control the tablets mouse using the PC would be quite interesting.

Being able to use a USB keyboard is cool, but where to plug it in?

Tags
bluetooth, maemo, mouse