Posts: 41 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Burlington, ON, Canada
Originally Posted by coffeedrinker View Post
Apparently, you cannot store any files on it, such as pdf files or use space as a usb flash drive. That certainly does limit a lot of usefulness of the device.
Wrong there bud.

You can opt to use it as a flash drive thro iTunes like other iPods plus manually add or manage your stuff on it. Also if you have attachments included with emails like MS Word documents the Touch will open them no problem.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
but can you access items stored on the ipod from say third party apps?

Posts: 868 | Thanked: 474 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Capital District, NY, USA
Originally Posted by iambof View Post
You can opt to use it as a flash drive thro iTunes like other iPods plus manually add or manage your stuff on it. Also if you have attachments included with emails like MS Word documents the Touch will open them no problem.
Last I checked the iPod Touch, and iPhone could not be used as a "mass storage device" or "Disk mode". So while you can manually manage the iTunes collection on the device you can not use it for arbitrary storage. There are some apps that give you the ability to store some files and jailbreaking will give you ssh access, but neither of those is like the way all other iPods before worked.

Originally Posted by brontide View Post
Last I checked the iPod Touch, and iPhone could not be used as a "mass storage device" or "Disk mode". So while you can manually manage the iTunes collection on the device you can not use it for arbitrary storage. There are some apps that give you the ability to store some files and jailbreaking will give you ssh access, but neither of those is like the way all other iPods before worked.
So you've actually done this with your Touch on your PC using your iTunes then? If so I stand corrected and must be losing it cos I'm sure I did it the other day. Oh well my mistake.

Well, I don't have an iTouch so I haven't tried it myself but my friend's son has one and that is what he told me in the context of discussing my n800 and the iTouch. I was talking to him about how I've stored a lot of pdf files and such that I can load and view as I need them. He told me that you could not do that on the iTouch.

If someone wishes to send me and iTouch to review and keep, I'll straighten you all out

Originally Posted by coffeedrinker View Post
If someone wishes to send me and iTouch to review and keep, I'll straighten you all out
Hey good idea. Count me in on that one too!

Well, my friend just gave me an iTouch (last version though). So I'll investigate a bit. No internal speaker, no mic but hey!

bof, hope you get yours now

You CANNOT use the iTouch as a mass storage device like other iPods.

BUT there is an app called Air Sharing that lets you mount the iTouch as a network volume to add stuff. From that I successfully put some pdf files on it and accessed them without problem.