Notices

Posts: 258 | Thanked: 144 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Edinburgh
Originally Posted by jaark View Post

I'm nervously looking at an upgrade to 0.22, not because I've had any massive problems with previous upgrades but simply because - as opposed to any other application on a family home network - Myth quickly becomes 'mission critical'.
Man that sums me up so much.

I like the use of Mission Critical.

MythTV for me is mission critical more than any other gadget i own, be it phone ,pda, or cooker, washing machine or shower

Posts: 177 | Thanked: 128 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Espoo, Finland
Originally Posted by cgarvie View Post
Man that sums me up so much.

I like the use of Mission Critical.

MythTV for me is mission critical more than any other gadget i own, be it phone ,pda, or cooker, washing machine or shower
Haha, yes, mission critical indeed. I don't there are any other projects where terms like this and 'waf' (wife acceptance factor) get used so much

Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
Originally Posted by BatPenguin View Post
Well, I thought I actually said this, but anyway, it's the frontend we'd need to have on the N900. Not the server. Frontend is used for scheduling and watching recordings and videos + all the other more or less nice Myth add-ons there are now . You still need a backend server with Myth, always. If you think Myth "only adds DVR functions" then you're either not very impressed with the software (totally possible) or might not be very familiar with it. For DVR purposes, I've seen no solution anywhere that adds functions comparable to Myth.
So are you saying the video capture still gets done on the desktop, only controlled on the mobile? I do like Myth, but its so hard to get working, and with so few popular video cards supported (the one I use, an Asus Falcon 2 based capture/tuner card, is in most HP and Compaq Media Center PCs, but doesn't work with Myth), and setup a royal pain. Hard to impress me after hours of work setting it up and getting nothing to work.

I was only judging by the screen shots and videos I've seen of Myth in action. If XBMC added a DVR, it would suit my tastes better. Right now, with it working in tandem with MythTV, its already my next Media Center once I get a card that works in Linux. Besides recording TV, XBMC looks better than Myth from a visual perspective. JMHO. I've yet to use either, and prefer WinMedCtr better than them all.

Look, I'm not dissing XBMC at all, and I love it's interface too (Myth 0.22 interface is very nice, though), but these software are different in what they do. Myth's DVR features are amazing and I'd be very surprised if XBMC or any other project could add some DVR features to bring them up to Myth's level. I don't think it's a matter of "adding DVR functions". Myth has been adding them for years, it'll take a lot of work for anything to match it.
I'm not offended in the least, and actually intrigued by your testimony. Now I know who to ask about it when I get another video tuner/capture card. But other than DVR functions, where does Myth trump XBMC? I'm wise enough to know looks aren't everything.

It's one of the solutions. I met a guy on this forum that was part of the development team of XBMC or Myth, can't remember, and in my research of the projects, I learned of a couple ways XBMC is used with Myth and WMC. Can't find the links atm...

Last updated in 2007, I don't think it's exactly a realistic myth frontend replacement. Please point me in the direction of a XBMC plugin/script, if you know of any, though. I'm not trying to be snarky either, I'm serious: this, the XBMC plugin, is a good point - if XBMC were able to provide a good frontend experience for Myth, it of course might be useable with it.
Don't let the date fool you. Evidently it works well enough to not need updating, since its heavily used. I haven't used any yet since I can't get Myth working with my hardware, so it'll be awhile. I'm focused on the N900 right now. Eff this PC. Only reason its on is I pawned my N95 8gb to pay a couple small bills, and all my backup devices are broken or on loan. I don't do PC's except for DVR and audio recording.

Originally Posted by christexaport View Post
So are you saying the video capture still gets done on the desktop, only controlled on the mobile?
Yes, or whatever you have set up as the server. Mine is shut away in a room upstairs with plenty of storage and 4 DVB-T cards. The machine that is plugged into the TV is a near-silent Atom-based mini-ITX system whose only user interface is the power button and a TV-like remote control.
The big difference between Myth and everything else is that it is a two tier client-server system. The server side does all the heavy lifting, TV reception and storage. The clients just act as a user interface to all that and render images on screen. A client schedules recordings and the server deals with them

I do like Myth, but its so hard to get working, and with so few popular video cards supported
AFAIK, if the card is supported by the Linux kernel (either V4L or DVB interfaces) then Myth should be able to use it with no big issues.

Besides recording TV, XBMC looks better than Myth from a visual perspective. JMHO
I've not seen the XBMC interface, but I will agree that Myth's can frequently do with a bit more polish. The interface video from 0.22 that someone posted looks sweet though.

But other than DVR functions, where does Myth trump XBMC?
The server side can act as a rudimentary UPnP/DLNA server for your video and audio files (and Myth recorded content). The DVR functions are killer though and the fact that it is network based (if you're on the network and have a yth client, you can access all the server's content and live stuff) also the web-based scheduling has often saved by bacon. The fact is that Myth is primarily a DVR - normal media playback functions are actually minor and simple in comparison.

It's one of the solutions. I met a guy on this forum that was part of the development team of XBMC or Myth, can't remember, and in my research of the projects, I learned of a couple ways XBMC is used with Myth and WMC.
If XBMC is a UPnP renderer (can't see it not being one) then it should just see the UPnP server aspects of the Myth server (assuming they haven't been disabled) and be able to easily watch stuff that has been recorded, but not live channels.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jaark For This Useful Post:
If XBMC is a UPnP renderer (can't see it not being one) then it should just see the UPnP server aspects of the Myth server (assuming they haven't been disabled) and be able to easily watch stuff that has been recorded, but not live channels.
That was a great reply, was just about to start writing one but saw that you already saved me the trouble

Yes, XBMC is a UPnP client (and can be a server too, I think) so it can be used to watch recordings. Probably would show all recordings in one big list, though. I should try it sometime. The plugin Chris mentioned would be interesting to try too.

Posts: 258 | Thanked: 144 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Edinburgh

also the web-based scheduling has often saved by bacon. The fact is that Myth is primarily a DVR - normal media playback functions are actually minor and simple in comparison.

The Web based Access is one of the best features for me.
If some one tell me about a programe at work, i can access it and set it up to record there and then.

When on Holiday i can log on and monitor it, Just in case its getting full ( i really need to install a bigger drive) I can see how much space i have and delete any duplicates (tv guide doesnt always get it right)

Originally Posted by BatPenguin View Post
That was a great reply, was just about to start writing one but saw that you already saved me the trouble

Yes, XBMC is a UPnP client (and can be a server too, I think) so it can be used to watch recordings. Probably would show all recordings in one big list, though. I should try it sometime. The plugin Chris mentioned would be interesting to try too.
There were a few issues with MythTV UPnP in 0.21 that meant that clients sometimes could not see it. Also turning on UPnP server on Myth stopped something working (cant remember what). All should be fixed in 0.22 version though.

Mike C

Originally Posted by cgarvie View Post
The Web based Access is one of the best features for me.
If some one tell me about a programe at work, i can access it and set it up to record there and then.

When on Holiday i can log on and monitor it, Just in case its getting full ( i really need to install a bigger drive) I can see how much space i have and delete any duplicates (tv guide doesnt always get it right)
My favourite geek accomplishment to share, thanks to Mythweb:

I'm at our summer place, just relaxing, minding my own business. A friend calls and says "the series finale of ER is on in twenty minutes, can you record it for me, I'm not home". I say "well, I'm not home either, but no problem". I use my N810 (cell phone connection) to log into my home router, send a wake-on-lan to wake up my Myth backend, log into Mythweb with the N810's browser and schedule it. Easy as that =)

Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
AFAIK, if the card is supported by the Linux kernel (either V4L or DVB interfaces) then Myth should be able to use it with no big issues.
Therein lies the biggest issue with me. My video capture card is very common for off the shelf and OEMs alike, and yet not supported AFAICT. Once I get compatibility, either via a new card or better support, I'm definitely trying MythTV again. Sounds like just what I want. I really hope XBMC can act as a front end as you guys imagine it could.

Just might make me switch from Linux Mint 7 to Mythbuntu. Anyone know how Mythbuntu compares to Linux Mint 7? Anything I'll miss?

I've not seen the XBMC interface, but I will agree that Myth's can frequently do with a bit more polish. The interface video from 0.22 that someone posted looks sweet though.
Well, they have skins that can drastically affect the UI, but this one is one I'm pretty fond of:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLzdL...layer_embedded

Maybe that'll get your juices flowing.

Posts: 961 | Thanked: 565 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tyneside, North East England
Mythbuntu and Linux Mint are both based on ubuntu, but are targetted for different audiences. Mint is focussed as a desktop with more restricted and non-free software than Ubuntu.

Mythbuntu is focussed purely for use with mythtv.It has a lightwieght window manager, and the myth packages pre-installed. I run mint on my laptop and mythbuntu on my myth server

Tags
encoding, maemo 5, mobile, mythtv, streaming