Notices

Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Check the Maemo in-progress section. They're trying to port XCOM (UFO Defense for the European folks). You have to supply the original game's data files but otherwise... oh mama.

Posts: 3 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Feb 2006 @ Chapel Hill, NC
Originally Posted by Ceklund
I already emailed Apple in regards to this idea, but what about having a port of iTunes?

You plug your iPod into your Nokia 770 through the USB port, load up iTunes Jr, connect to the iTunes Store, buy or download whatever you want through your 770 into your iPod.
Is that possible? Most USB devices are master or slave *only*, I thought. Is the USB port on the 770 capable of being both? It *is* possible to be both, but it was my understanding that, at least at one time, most devices were one or the other only.

I have a Garmin GPS (376C) that apparently can be both because it uses the same USB port to both talk to a PC *and* talk to its XM radio (yes, you get a little XM puck from Garmin that actually is the radio, but it has no interface...the interface and even audio output is on the GPS).

It would be cool if it were capable of going both ways since in theory that would open it up to using USB devices on it (including the iPod scenario you describe, but more importantly to me things like USB GPS's). Heck, it would be pretty cool to hack the Garmin XM puck so you could use the 770 to listen to XM, too!

--Donnie

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ UK
Originally Posted by Godfrey
Precompiled binary packages, that you can just pull down and install through something like apt-get, without having to compile the source in scratchbox yourself?
Yes - however, at the moment it's a case of dpkg -x somepkg.deb /var/lib/install (and for all the required dependencies). This could be optimised, however, by install apt and configuring packages which are already present in the device (e.g. libc6 etc.)

I've used this to install Perl, screen (including its dependent ncurses) and a few other command line bits & bobs without recompiling them in Scratchbox.

If you've got root access, you can change /var/lib/install to just / and avoid any problems with config files etc. (no pun intended)

Last edited by aflegg; 2006-02-02 at 22:06. Reason: Added quote

Posts: 564 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Fayetteville, GA
A voice recorder would be nice. An interactive calendar program would be sweet. Solitare needs to be ported before I go insane.
3pm - So good, it's illegal

Head on over to maemo.org

MaemoDrac = solitaire like (apparently)
Deja or GPE Calendar should sort out your calendar needs

Posts: 564 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Fayetteville, GA
Thanks JonC. I guess it's been a while since I last visited the site. So much information to absorb, so little time.

(LVTT by the way)
3pm - So good, it's illegal

What about some kind of a MIDI device + Sequencing software program like Fruity Loops?

Plug our music keyboards into the 770 and lay down tracks, all without a real computer setup?

If you have a portable keyboard, then you can write music anywhere you go.