Posts: 469 | Thanked: 88 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Montana
Originally Posted by andymulhearn View Post
Any money the e-mail client's still the same piece of s***e they shipped with the original 770?
Well maybe someone that's played with OS2008 can comment, but I thought Nokia was moving towards using "Modest Mail" in a future release:

http://modest.garage.maemo.org/

I don't think it would be any competition for Claws, but it does seem like it would be a little better

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I haven't tried the email client yet. Haven't even looked at it-- too busy testing other aspects...

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by sptop View Post
Lets confirm/Deny/Rebutt Some things

The processor is the same speed.
The n800 was underclocked to save bettery life . Now that they have improved os support, they can bump the clock speed back up to the original 400mhz without affecting battery life. That means your n800 should be running at 400mhz when you update to 2008.

Not Either OR
You dont have to buy an n810. And it looks like the n800 has already dropped to 250 and will probably drop to an even $200. If it supports all the same software but is cheaper and doesn't have a keyboard, what is the complaint!!!
This is not the same as the transition from 770 to 810. They will both support the same software.Moreover I think Nokia learned there lesson with this model, they want the software to be ported quickly, and that can only happen if there are developers with devices.

Way better case
so far all the reviews have stated the case is much better than the N800 case.

Keyboard is a big improvement
The n810 is actually thinner than the n800 even with the new keyboard.
The directional button had to be placed with the keyboard so that you can use it and the keyboard without straining your wrist. The only other option for nokia would be to have two buttons, one on the keyboard and one on the display.

As far as I am concerned this is a great device. And I am sure to go out and get an n800 now that they reasonably priced.

Eggzactly!

The new OS will behave the same on the old hardware...
Also, I have heard that the speed is bumped only for "certain" (unnamed) programs leading me to believe that the OS manages the clock.

Because the D-pad is tucked away I am assuming that the finger friendly improvements are meant to provide functionality when the keypad is stowed. The N800 will benefit from this!

I didn't know it shipped with a case. That was quick.

All in all the N800 running OS 2008 and eventually 2009 is a much better deal...

Now!

So, the only group who looses out were the ones who paid full price for the N800 only to be the OS beta test and marketing focus group, for the N810.

Especially the ones who spent additional dough on Navicore and a BT GPS unit.

cough, that would be me, cough.

Oh yeah... plus the dang case, 6 months later.

Last edited by YoDude; 2007-10-17 at 21:59.

Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
So, the only group who looses out were the ones who paid full price for the N800 only to be the OS beta test and marketing focus group, for the N810.

Especially the ones who spent additional dough on Navicore and a BT GPS unit.

cough, that would be me, cough.

Oh yeah... plus the dang case, 6 months later.

You don't lose out. You get the new OS for free.

Posts: 185 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Texas
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
I had thought that my test N800 seemed peppier with the new OS...
Is the N800 really underclocked? I had never seen this mentioned, I would have gladly traded some battery life in order to have a faster device these last 10 months.

This would definitely be a nice surprise if OS2008 unlocks the higher chip speed. Same thing happened on the PSP a while back, Sony came out with a firmware update that unlocked some extra horsepower.

So far, I like what I see with the N810...I'm sure I'll be at CompUSA the day they are released, just like I was with the 770 and then the N800. I really don't understand all the complaining about the D-pad, considering this is a touch-screen device. Seeing the complaints is like deja vu all over again, the way people lamented the loss of the hard cover when switching from the 770 to the N800. Things change, we adapt and move on...no big deal.

With the updated OS2008, looks like I'll keep my N800 around for quite a while, since it will be better suited for multimedia with the dual SDHC slots and rotating camera. But I'll also get an N810 to use as a replacement for one of my laptops that I frequently use at home. Quite a difference from when I didn't even want to use my 770 anymore because the N800 was so superior in just about every way. Both devices now will complement each other.

I am excited, can't wait until next month!

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by kyyla View Post
You don't lose out. You get the new OS for free.
$349, N800
$129, Navicore
$ 49, Holux BT GPS
$ 29, 2 GB card
$ 21, nifty case
+ "free" OS

= $577

3 flash upgrades and reinstalls + bugs reported to Bugzilla...

... Priceless

http://lists.maemo.org/pipermail//ma...ch/009166.html

So, is the LCD controller the same one I wonder, or have they eliminated this issue?

Posts: 185 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Texas
My million-dollar-question:

Is there native A2DP support?

I haven't seen this anywhere, and I didn't see it in the profiles list, unless it was somewhere else.

Originally Posted by lardman View Post
http://lists.maemo.org/pipermail//ma...ch/009166.html

So, is the LCD controller the same one I wonder, or have they eliminated this issue?
That's the big question on my mind. With the peppier processing power, the limited video bandwidth is going to be an even bigger issue than it has been. Higher framerate/resolution video is natural, but are we still stuck with that bottleneck?

This is the deciding issue for me, whether to pay $200 more and get the N810, or settle for the N800, and pocket the extra money.

Personally I really like the new hardware design, think they did a great job if compacting the format, adding the keyboard, etc. That said I'm prefectly happy with my N800 and if we get the new OS I'll probably stick with it until the first round of "discounts" on the N810 next year, mainly becuase I already have a substantial investement in SD memory cards, a BT stowaway keyboard, and extra battery. But for my friends who've been sitting on the fence admiring my N800 I think the N810 will push them into adoption.