Posts: 155 | Thanked: 19 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Tokyo, Japan
Sorry for posting this here but I did a search for battery, battery life, "battery life", battery+life and I get pages and pages of unrelated results.

Anyway, the battery life on my N810 (with latest software and updates) is very unstable during non-use. Sometimes after a recharging the battery status will display something like "When idle 7 days, When in use: 5 hours". Now sometimes the N810 live up to the stated status, BUT other times I will fully charge it in the morning, Make sure the wireless is off, lock the keys, but when I check it in the evening about 10 to 12 hours later. it is completely dead.

I don't think the battery is coming to the end of it's life cycle because I'll recharge the N810 and it'll last for 4 to 5 days. It'll be Ok for a few draining / recharge cycles, THEN without warning, AND seemingly with enough juice to last a few days, it'll be dead 10 hours later. AND THIS IS JUST WHEN IT'S IDLE! WTF

Posts: 46 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Australia
Hello,
I had the same problem and I was going nuts...
Until I discovered that every morning I had some alarms (from mCalendar) going off on the screen.
I don't know why, but the alarms keep the screen on until you cancel them (if you see it) or until the batery is dead.

Please check this...

Kind of what I'm seeing, but it wasn't always that way until recently when I've started using usb control with a flash drive and even though I disable the drive from the N810 and quit the program, my battery life is all over the map on the Nokia. I leave it running with plenty of battery capacity overnight, and when I wake up in the morning it's dangerously close to empty. Don't know if usb control is the cause, but it's the only thing that I've started doing different lately. I'm also switching between the original nokia battery and a mugen battery and both are doing the same thing. I've rebooted the N810 and I have not been running usb control lately to see if the N810's battery life is consistent or not and if that could be what's causing it.

This might have absolutely nothing to do with your situation, but it's funny how our battery cycle is similar where you can have a full charge and then a half day later, it'll be dead. Using USB control is the only thing that I've been using lately to test with a flash drive and even if I only watch say for example a divx movie for a couple of minutes ( which shouldn't drain that much battery juice ) and exit usb control, the battery drain will continue to kill the battery within half a day.

I'll post back if I no longer have the issue when not using usb control.

i had similar issues:
take a look at these 2 threads

http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=25683

and
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=25941

i ended up purchasing a new oem battery from amazon and ALL my battery issues have disappeared.

YMMV

The Following User Says Thank You to prk60091 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 111 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Singapore
Hi, I would suggest installing the Advanced Power applet to track your battery battery consumption during idle time. The applet displays battery level in percentage which you could monitor hourly -- it should use only about 0.5% per hour during idle state. Otherwise, some applications is sucking power (another reason is mis-behaving or corrupted SD card).

http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...d.php?p=241127

The Following User Says Thank You to pton For This Useful Post:
Posts: 155 | Thanked: 19 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Tokyo, Japan
I'm not using USB Control but I do have maemo-control-usb. But I do got 12 hald-addon-omap-gpio process running (but with o% load). What the heck are they?

Last edited by TokyoDan; 2009-01-14 at 06:22.

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
GPIO sounds like the interface to the hardware keys to me. But I could be wrong.

Posts: 462 | Thanked: 550 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Moscow
Originally Posted by TokyoDan View Post
I'm not using USB Control but I do have maemo-control-usb. But I do got 12 hald-addon-omap-gpio process running (but with o% load). What the heck are they?
General Purpose I/O
Wiki

It's strange to have 12 processes (I've got only 6), but everything can happen

Originally Posted by pton View Post
...it should use only about 0.5% per hour during idle state. Otherwise, some applications is sucking power (another reason is mis-behaving or corrupted SD card).
This is all well and good, but how does this methodology eliminate the unknown variable which is battery condition?
If advancedpower showed current consumption - you would be on to something - but it doesn't. Since it shows percentage it is using an assumption that battery capacity is a known - which it isn't for anyone who is having these sorts of issues.
I am aware that the original poster has dismissed battery condition as a cause - and he has a decently good reason for doing so - but that is not the same as proof. Stranger behavior has been seen from a faulty / dying LiIon.

Last edited by soap; 2009-01-14 at 22:23.

Callanish - Interesting, I've been having similar problems lately and it wasn't until reading your comment that I realized I've been using USB Control more than usual lately as well.

I know that if you exit USB Control after switching to host mode it leaves it in that state. I'm wondering if that's what's causing the battery drain (wild speculation on my part). Perhaps switching back to peripheral before exiting will help (more wild speculation)?

Haven't tested this, just a thought.

The Following User Says Thank You to gbgb For This Useful Post: