Posts: 155 | Thanked: 19 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Tokyo, Japan
I apologize to all for my "You idiots" statement. I didn't really mean that maliciously. I meant it in a playful way and didn't really expect anyone to take it personally or seriously. Of course no one here is an idiot. And this forum and most participants on it are very helpful. The reason I made that statement was because I was trying to get away from a debate about the viability, standard, and concept of open source software. I just wanted boil things down with a simple statement describing my feelings about 3rd party software for the N180.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by TokyoDan View Post
Actually I'm thinking of selling it to some other "open-source type" here in Tokyo and buy an iPod Touch.
If you do, you have to promise us that you won't come back here and tell us how great your iTouch is.

I promise but I'm still hanging in there a little longer with my N810. I love the Python environment and PyGTKEditor.

You see, not everything I say is negative.
Originally Posted by qole View Post
If you do, you have to promise us that you won't come back here and tell us how great your iTouch is.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
heh, i guess we all find something we like with these devices, and keep using them

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Please, do sell your device to someone who appreciates the device. A happy customer is a custuomer. An unhappy customer is a burden. Actually, if you bought it recently you should have some kind of law which allows you to bring it back because you're not satisfied with it.

TokyoDan,

The way I see it is that you picked the weakest area w.r.t. to available software for the N8x0. There simply are no good, stable, all-functional Calendar applications. Not yet. Don't know if or when that will happen. That's why I use my Palm PDA for calendar functions.

It's probably boring or tiresome to write a Calendar application which works as well as the Palm one, that's my guess why there's not that much coming out of the existing activity. Just like the open source area is weak in some other niches, it's not fun or interesting to write so it's not being done. Or not done well. Not enough developers or eyeballs.

On the other hand, there are other types of applications which are clearly fun or interesting to write, or there are enough developers with a keen interest. Look at Maemo Mapper, for example, which hasn't failed me once since I installed it (correction - it failed me once, with saving tracks, but that was fixed in due time. As happens with all good open source applications, of which there are many).

In fact, except for calendar and other pim-like applications, the software situation on the N8x0 isn't bad at all - the worst ones are actually the closed source ones! Not the open source applications. They're generally better, IMO. Because interested users can fix them. I wish I could have the full source of the old email application, if so I'm sure I could have fixed the to small, but annoying problems with it. Instead we're stuck with whatever comes out of the next whole-system upgrade.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
from what i can tell, it seems most here either use a phone or google as their pim. in the latter case, with the tablet acting aas terminal...

Posts: 900 | Thanked: 273 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Fresno CA USA
I use Google as a backend for my desktop, laptop and as much as posible my N810. I need to be able to synchronize with Google calendar for example because my N810 depends on WiFi for Internet connections. My N810 is my "constant companion". I've been using mCalendar which has a couple of synch bugs. Namely, synch completes but the progress indicator hangs at 60% and with daylight savings mCalendar adds ones hour to all appointments entered online with Google calendar. I'm going to check and see if those bugs have been filed.
Personal Blog -- 3 Joe's Blog

N810 -- 5.2010.33-1

Posts: 149 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ Germany
Originally Posted by qole View Post
... I think all the people who wrote "my x is better than N8x0 because of..." want to prevent other non-developers to have to much expectations from this type of device.
I got my N810 for 0 cent and I was very disappointed the 1st weeks. Then I said, ok, let's try to work with this gadget. But it wasn't my personal device. Most of the time it stays at home.

Thanks for your encouragement. Actually I installed the gpe-calendar and I'm quite happy with it. As for Maemo Mapper, I wonder if there are any detailed maps of Tokyo, the one on the maemo mapper site wasn't very detailed. GPS, mapping is all new to me and I wonder if there are depositories of Japan-based maps that I can download to use with Maemo Mapper. Also I am interested in the activity of Geocaching. Do u know if there are any apps for the N810 that would allow me to get involved in Geocaching?

Originally Posted by TA-t3 View Post
TokyoDan,

The way I see it is that you picked the weakest area w.r.t. to available software for the N8x0. There simply are no good, stable, all-functional Calendar applications. Not yet. Don't know if or when that will happen. That's why I use my Palm PDA for calendar functions.

It's probably boring or tiresome to write a Calendar application which works as well as the Palm one, that's my guess why there's not that much coming out of the existing activity. Just like the open source area is weak in some other niches, it's not fun or interesting to write so it's not being done. Or not done well. Not enough developers or eyeballs.

On the other hand, there are other types of applications which are clearly fun or interesting to write, or there are enough developers with a keen interest. Look at Maemo Mapper, for example, which hasn't failed me once since I installed it (correction - it failed me once, with saving tracks, but that was fixed in due time. As happens with all good open source applications, of which there are many).

In fact, except for calendar and other pim-like applications, the software situation on the N8x0 isn't bad at all - the worst ones are actually the closed source ones! Not the open source applications. They're generally better, IMO. Because interested users can fix them. I wish I could have the full source of the old email application, if so I'm sure I could have fixed the to small, but annoying problems with it. Instead we're stuck with whatever comes out of the next whole-system upgrade.