Poll: should Jolla SDxC (exFAT) compatibility?
Poll Options
should Jolla SDxC (exFAT) compatibility?

Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Well as I said earlier in the other infamous thread, I'd like to see HW perks, not SW perks; Reason being that SW can always be updated later but HW is kind of stable in a tablet after it rolls off the conveyor belt in da factory.
How can you know the SDCard reader is SW only?

Posts: 284 | Thanked: 661 times | Joined on Aug 2013 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Morpog View Post
How can you know the SDCard reader is SW only?
What does SDCard reader have to with this when this topic and poll is about fileformat support? (micro)SDcard reader was already there before the stretch-goal was announced.

The Following User Says Thank You to Thoke For This Useful Post:
Erm, because maybe they could have to exchange the whole reader?
We assume it's just software, bu we don't know it for sure, do we?

The Following User Says Thank You to Morpog For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
That would be very very weird - the reader just provides an electrical interface that makes the data blocks on the card accessible to the OS. I don't see any reason why it would need to care about what lives on top of those blocks. Basically all storage works like this.

The Following User Says Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 752 | Thanked: 2,808 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by xanderx View Post
Have you noticed one thing, guys? After they announced this stupid goal the contributions pace reduced DRASTICALLY.
Not at all - after adding the stretch goals, for a few days the pace had increased (quite a lot, actually, to 30-40k per day, while it was around 15-20k per day the days before). But the problem is, the perks were added too late. If they added them the second or third day when the media hype was still on, they would have gained interest of many random visitors.

Whoever checks the page in the middle of the campaign has either already bought it, or had some interest from the beginning, so even if the stretch goal was "an awesome chocolate fountain", it wouldn't have gained more traction than this one.

People are forgetting one thing - the main stretch goal is 2,500k, but you need some middle ground, so people can get excited by reaching smaller checkpoints. I think that the stretch goals are really good, just added few days late.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nodevel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 141 | Thanked: 359 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Italy
I don't know how to vote.
I do not mind them licensing exFat or not, that is their business decision to make. I will not use the option, because it makes sharing the card on my gadgets/computers harder, but I understand it has some appeal to the general public.

I *do* mind that they try to paint it as a concession to the community requests, since they paint the campaing as "the first crowdsourced tablet", they should use together.jolla.com suggestions as a line guide. And the requests for >32Gb sd cards simply was not there: the specific question has like 11 votes, while there are at least two pages of "jolla-tablet" tagged questions that have more votes.

Also, it would be nice to have answers on the idea from Jolla managers or technicians, at least for the top requests.

For example, the number one question is for a bigger battery. I can understand that is out of the question for this hardware iteration. The good price of the tablet is probably due also to some compromise on the components. But it would be refreshing to get a clear answer about it. "We had a very good deal on those battery, and according to our tests, the tablet will stay usable for a reasonably long time" would do.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to mikelima For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Sorry, it does not work that way

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Well as I said earlier in the other infamous thread, I'd like to see HW perks, not SW perks; Reason being that SW can always be updated later but HW is kind of stable in a tablet after it rolls off the conveyor belt in da factory.
Yes, I'd like that too! Perks for 15mm thick accessories like bat + kickstand combo are more than welcome!

I am afraid what we see reflected in two out of three of those amazing stretch goals is nothing more than the few options left on the OEM tablet shopping config list from the Taiwanese or Chinese manufacturer involved in this project.

Screen Size

[x] 7 inch
[ ] 10 inch
[ ] 12 inch

Wireless network:

[ ] 3.5G modem
[x] Wifi

External storage

[x] SD (SDXC "ready")
[ ] enable SDXC + eXfat

Sound
[x] Mono
[ ] Stereo (from 10 inch onward)

I could be wrong but I don't think Jolla has much designing to do except choosing color, front glass and corners of the package.
Not at that price point.

Jolla likes to compare specs vs Apple and Nexus vs Nokia but refrains from giving indications about the loudspeaker setup in the Jolla tablet.

Sound is an area where a lot under the hood design can improve the experience a lot but if you just let an OEM supplier handle the job you will end up with something like.. the Jolla phone: mono, sharp deformed noise loud enough to irritate the hell out of you but too silent to be heard when you need to catch that phone call.

"Nokia" N1 http://www.geekypinas.com/2014/11/ho...s-wolfson.html

Nexus 9 http://www.gottabemobile.com/2014/11...ideo-playback/

iPad Mini 3 https://www.apple.com/ipad-mini-3/specs/ At least they mention 2 speakers on the schematic.

Forget about IR, RadioTX, NFC touch to connect peripherals because the OEM manfucaturer will say those are not commonly requested, harder to setup and integrate and there for costlier.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
I hope this poll will help end the bickering in slush 2014-thread. It used to be good reading.

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post: