Im going to usa, and im planning to buy an ipod touch, i already have an n800, but i dont feel is good for playing music, at least on the road.
I would really appreciate your opinions
you think i should buy it?

Posts: 631 | Thanked: 1,123 times | Joined on Sep 2005 @ Helsinki
If you really want a music optimized device, better buy the iPod classic or nano. Touch isn't really the best ipod for that: it doesn't even have the shortcuts for volume/pause/next song that the iPhone has.

The iPod Touch is great for both music and video. As an added bonus, if you jailbreak it, you get some of PIM functions lacking on the N800.

Posts: 91 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Marlow, Bucks
The only thing that the Touch is appreciably better than the N800 at is playing videos. As a handy pocket sized movie player it is great - far better than the N800, because there is no decent video playing software on the N800. Having said that, you have to convert everything to the right format for the Touch - you can;t play DivX etc....

I never listen to music on the Touch - it is really not well designed for that at all despite being an iPod. I think you'll find - even if you jailbreak the Touch - that it is really limited. There is really not much you can do with it, and the extra software you can add to it is a bit of a joke at the moment. That might change though.

Posts: 739 | Thanked: 159 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Germany - Munich
because there is no decent video playing software on the N800
Ever heard of mplayer?

Best video player ever. I use it on n800 and my PC.

Much much better than any other software I have seen.
I watched a movie in the plane yesterday with mplayer. Fantastic. I was really impressed by the battery still fully charged after 1h!
Only annoying thing was this guy sitting next to me, constantly looking at the screen

The Touch is pretty useless.

Posts: 91 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Marlow, Bucks
free: I'm interested/amazed that you think mplayer is the best video player ever. That's certainly not my experience of it - but perhaps we have different expectations or skills.

When it comes to watching a movie I am looking for a simple player which allows me to select a file to play, and has an obvious play and pause button for those times when you get interrupted. A simple slider or something like which can be used to move backwards and forwards through a film, with some indication of how many minutes have been viewed and/or are remaining is good.

The Touch has an excellent player which does that rather well, as does TCPMP on the Palm. Canola does this too, although it is rather slow to pick up a list of files on a media card, and has a habit of only seeing the first 20 odd minutes of a film, or not seeing files on a card. It's certainly not perfect.

mplayer by contrast is totally non-intuitive to use, very inflexible, and constantly crashes - from my experience. And I have never managed to watch a whole movie without the battery running out, which makes the N800 a rather ridiculous platform for movies.

Anyway, I am not posting this to start an argument - as I said at the beginning I am fascinated that what I regard as unusable others may find exceptionally good.

Certainly I find watching movies on the Touch a great experience, but the rest of the device is a waste of time.

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
"Certainly I find watching movies on the Touch a great experience"

You are forgetting that you need to re-encode the videos. But with mplayer you can play almost all the video files. divx, flv, xvid. avi.

Now who the hell is going to encode all the files before watching the movies. I just download dvd rips and put them on my n800 and it plays very well with mplayer.

If you want to re-encode movies.... you can do it using media converter for the n800 and play it in media player. There you have all those functions like the slider etc!!

If you're obtaining your movies legally, then you should have no problem having them in the right format for the iPod/iPhone.

Ripping straight from DVD, I always choose h.264 since it plays on my PS3, xbox 360 and my iPhone.

If you happen to download them illegally, you just need a program like visual hub and it can batch convert movies and automatically load them into itunes for syncing.

Everything to do with video and audio is a PITA on the N800. Only linux nerds enjoy their media on these tablet devices.

For everything else, its quite decent... but don't confuse the N800/810 with a capable media player.

I have an N800 and an Iphone. I'm not sure if I'm just not savvy enough, but it always seems to be a hassle for me to get video (video podcasts, youtube, newscasts) to play seamlessly in the N800. There is usually a way to get it to work, but it takes an effort. On my iphone, it either works or it doesn't. I think that a lot more stuff has been shoehorned into an iphone/ipod touch format in the last 6 months because of the popularity of those devices.

It's strange. sitting here I can't decide which device I prefer. I love my N800. The internet is crystal clear, the mapping software is great, the music players are great, it has GAMES. The Iphone though, is just so simple and user-friendly.

I've had my N800 for months, and my wife and my mother picked it up for ten minutes, got frustrated, and never touched it again. I can't get the iphone away from them.