Originally Posted by geneven View Post
Did you read about the eight-year-old kid who killed his father and someone else recently? The newspaper said his dad had trained him to use a weapon.

On the other discussion, I am surprised to hear someone say that provisions in the Constitution can override something in an Amendment. Isn't it the other way around? According to the Amendment and the simplistic interpretation urged in this thread, every citizen has a right to carry any arm. Therefore, any prisoner has the right to carry any arm, as long as he is a citizen, it seems to me.
I didn't think anyone argued that precisely, though I can guess who you're referring to. I'd say it is closer to the other way around.

Amendments are on equal footing with the Constitution as initially passed, except where there's an actual conflicting provision; then the amendment takes precedence over prior text. I see no conflict between authorizing Congress to provide for punishments for various crimes, and preserving one right of the people.

Notably, the fifth and eighth amendments discuss punishments, and may be considered concurrent (chronologically) or later (numerically) than the second, but in no way prior; this seems to indicate that the second amendment does not eliminate punishment (which requires deprivation of rights).

You don't seem to see a distinction between infringing on a right of the people and depriving/suspending one person of certain rights. To me, that seems a clear and obvious distinction...

It is a done case.. and is illegal. Hence my point... there are "common sense" laws applied to the first amendment.. and the supreme court judges specifically stated there can be "common sense" laws applied to the second.

Lets use your example for a minute.. you are capable of screaming so loud to cause death.

Should you be locked up simply for possessing this ability - or should only the act itself (killing someone from screaming) - be what is outlawed?

Common Sense to me says that it can be illegal to kill a person with my gun (without legal justification).

Common Sense != to me not even being able to own the gun in the first place because it "looked" scary.

But there are those that disagree.. so unfortunately "Common" sense.. isn't so "common"... and that is what is left to decide regarding the bearing of arms. It's established now it's my right... now what must be addressed is - my right to how far.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Karel:

I agree that prisoners don't have the right to keep and bear arms despite what the Constitution says because "usually"' they don't get that right. But that implies that there is a standard not included in the Constitution, which is exactly my point.

By the same token, machine guns would not be permitted in the White House by visitors, because such things would not "usually" be permitted. But who decides what "usually" should happen? Judges do, on the basis of contexts they have studied, not on the basis of studying someone's "common sense."

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Benson:

Yes, there are a LOT of distinctions and contexts that must be observed, and after you observe them all, you get something remarkably similar to the current legal system, prisoners don't have the right to be armed, we don't have the inalienable right to carry machine guns into the local elementary school, and maniacs don't have the right to carry guns, nor do White House tourists nor rough cowboys riding into Dodge City.

And people don't have the right to keep just any kind of arms in their houses. For example, nuclear arms. But dum-dum bullets are another thing I think is illegal, and some kinds of armor-piercing weapons.

By the way, did you ever hear of the shootout on Laurel Canyon street in Van Nuys, CA? Two bandits robbed a bank and were wearing protective clothes and shooting armor-piercing (illegal) weapons so that even policemen hiding behind cars weren't safe. It took forever for the police to bring them down.

I know, because I was down the street when it happened, typing on my computer screen as I am now. There was a burst of gunfire, and I thought oh, someone is robbing the bank. Oh well, that's happened before. But the gunfire didn't stop for a long, long time, and every police car in the world seemed to be parked outside of my office, and a bunch of helicopters hovered overhead.

Laurel Canyon shootout

I'm glad those weapons are not legal to possess.

Last edited by geneven; 2008-11-10 at 17:32.

Ok.. lets get to the real meat here.. I'm probably the only person here that cares enough to have actually read the entire ruling, cover to cover:
(a) The Amendment’s prefatory clause announces a purpose, but
does not limit or expand the scope of the second part, the operative
clause. The operative clause’s text and history demonstrate that it
connotes an individual right to keep and bear arms. Pp. 2–22.
Like most rights, the right secured by the Second
Amendment is not unlimited. From Blackstone through
the 19th-century cases, commentators and courts routinely
explained that the right was not a right to keep and
carry any weapon whatsoever in any manner whatsoever
and for whatever purpose.
It may be objected that if weapons that are most useful
in military service—M-16 rifles and the like—may be
banned, then the Second Amendment right is completely
detached from the prefatory clause. But as we have said,
the conception of the militia at the time of the Second
Amendment’s ratification was the body of all citizens
capable of military service, who would bring the sorts of
lawful weapons that they possessed at home to militia
duty. It may well be true today that a militia, to be as
effective as militias in the 18th century, would require
sophisticated arms that are highly unusual in society at
large.
Indeed, it may be true that no amount of small
arms could be useful against modern-day bombers and
tanks. But the fact that modern developments have limited
the degree of fit between the prefatory clause and the
protected right cannot change our interpretation of the
right.

Second Amendment, nothing in our opinion should be
taken to cast doubt on longstanding prohibitions on the
possession of firearms by felons and the mentally ill, or
laws forbidding the carrying of firearms in sensitive places
such as schools and government buildings
The First Amendment contains the
freedom-of-speech guarantee that the people ratified,
which included exceptions for obscenity, libel, and disclosure
of state secrets, but not for the expression of extremely
unpopular and wrong-headed views. The Second
Amendment is no different. Like the First, it is the very
product of an interest-balancing by the people—which
JUSTICE BREYER would now conduct for them anew. And
whatever else it leaves to future evaluation, it surely
elevates above all other interests the right of law-abiding,
responsible citizens to use arms in defense of hearth and
home.
http://www.scotusblog.com/wp/wp-cont.../06/07-290.pdf

ETA:
Here's what made me think to go looking here:
27 JUSTICE BREYER correctly notes that this law, like almost all laws,
would pass rational-basis scrutiny. Post, at 8. But rational-basis
scrutiny is a mode of analysis we have used when evaluating laws
under constitutional commands that are themselves prohibitions on
irrational laws.
Rational-basis scrutiny... sounds like a fancy law-term for Common Sense.

Last edited by fatalsaint; 2008-11-10 at 18:07.

Originally Posted by geneven View Post
Benson:

Yes, there are a LOT of distinctions and contexts that must be observed, and after you observe them all, you get something remarkably similar to the current legal system, prisoners don't have the right to be armed, we don't have the inalienable right to carry machine guns into the local elementary school, and maniacs don't have the right to carry guns, nor do White House tourists nor rough cowboys riding into Dodge City.
I guess I disagree on some details, but further argument's not likely to persuade either of us.

So the remainder of this post will concentrate on some info regarding current law (regardless of constitutionality) and technical issues.

And people don't have the right to keep just any kind of arms in their houses. For example, nuclear arms. But dum-dum bullets are another thing I think is illegal, and some kinds of armor-piercing weapons.
First, nobody even wants actual dum-dums; those are an ancient soft-point design, and modern hollow-points are much more effective. And, at least on a federal level, perfectly legal.

As to AP ammo: first, it is generally legal as well. (The definition is rather strange and does not correspond well to actual AP capabilities, against body armor or steel plate. Possession, buying, and selling are all legal for normal folks; there are restrictions on licensed dealers and on manufacture and importation.) Second, almost any centerfire rifle with hardball ammo will penetrate vehicles and NIJ Type IIIA or lower body armor; repeated hits are likely to penetrate Type III armor as well. (Info on NIJ armor classification)

By the way, did you ever hear of the shootout on Laurel Canyon street in Van Nuys, CA? Two bandits robbed a bank and were wearing protective clothes and shooting armor-piercing (illegal) weapons so that even policemen hiding behind cars weren't safe. It took forever for the police to bring them down.
I have heard of that one. Interestingly, some of the cops had to go get rifles and ammunition from a local gun store, which (IIRC) was in fact an illegal transfer because of the California waiting period laws.

The main issue with the equipment used from a legal perspective, AFAIK, is that they had 5 guns illegally converted to full-automatic. I'm not familiar with CA law, which may have forbidden the ammo or armor, or with the particulars of the case, but I believe it was fine on a federal level, and I doubt the AP ammo (vs. standard rifle ammo) was a significant factor. (Their very heavy home-made armor, OTOH, was a major factor, especially exacerbated by the police's lack of rifles). Their use of barbiturates didn't help, either.

One fortunate outcome, though, was consideration of better equipment (specifically, rifles or carbines) in many police departments. It's questionable whether the weapons chosen, (AR-15s or clones, in most cases) were really optimal for dealing with such threats; I think AR-10 derivatives (such as the SR-25) would be a better choice, but a 5.56 rifle is definitely superior to a police handgun or buckshot. For some interesting (Mythbusters-like) terminal ballistics, see theboxotruth.com, and particularly episode #16, with tests against Type IIIA armor material; one of the conclusions, "Rifles are rifles and pistols are pistols", says it all.

Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
Rational-basis scrutiny... sounds like a fancy law-term for Common Sense.
Yes, rational-basis review is basically common sense, applied to the elastic clause.

I would like to add that modern hollow-points are not only an excellent round.... but optimal for use in public streets, conceal carry, and home defense.

You run a significantly less risk of a 9mm Hollow point going through your assailant and striking something behind him.. than a 9mm FMJ (full metal jacket) round.

Therefore you'll find MOST concealed weapons carriers, and even a vast majority of law enforcement.. will carry hollow points. When the bullet strikes the target, the force of the impact causes the bullet to fracture and expand.

I believe the studies on them show more tissue damage, more blood loss, and more deadly to the target... but far less risk of collateral damage. And at the point you start shooting someone.. worrying about whether they make it through alive or not is a matter of concern that comes just before what you were planning on having for dinner that night. - This is wrong, HP's, it appears, are less likely to kill

ETA:

Just adding some references:
http://www.learnaboutguns.com/2008/0...point-bullets/
http://www.chuckhawks.com/ammo_by_anonymous.htm

Last edited by fatalsaint; 2008-11-10 at 20:24. Reason: Slight Mis-calc.. .45 ACP in FMJ apparantly has a reliable expansion history.

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
And to penguinbait: What possible use is the so-called "assault weapons"? Store owners during the LA riots paced their rooftops with these weapons after the police abandoned entire sections of the city to the rioters. Millions/billions of dollars in damage were done by rioters.. but these store owners were some of the ONLY stores not touched. During Katrina, people went crazed and panicky, stealing, looting, crime was everywhere.. and the police couldn't even get to the people needing help because of floods..
So I should want store owners to have weapons so they can shoot people looking for food during natural disasters

Not really getting me on your side with that one. I can assure you if you are a store owner and you kill people looting, you have bigger worries than missing groceries. I guarantee I can protect myself with a 38 or a shotgun just the same. "Get the flock away or I'll shoot"

Can I hook up dynamite to the alarm system, can I aim ballistic missiles at my store so I can kill the looters remotely. No I cannot because the constitution does not allow me the right to do whatever the hell I want.

I am pretty darn sure, the rioters didn't go hey, cmon over here, this store owner only has a shotgun, lets get him. No if they saw a gun, I am sure they did not stick around to see what kind of gun it was...
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

Last edited by penguinbait; 2008-11-10 at 21:02.

But you do have the right to not have the stuff you've worked hard for and paid for and own to not be stolen from you in any circumstance.

As I said before.. as long as you are perfectly OK with the fact that any emergency preparation kits that you have for disasters or whatever - being stolen and having you and your family left for dead, killed, or starving..

Then so be it. But I procure my food and my water and my emergency kits so that my family can survive a natural disaster. That doesn't include you unless I conjure it does... and you don't have the right to barge into my home or my store and just take whatever you want because you failed to prepare for it yourself. Just because there happens to be a natural disaster running around doesn't grant you, or anyone, the right to just trample over everyone else around you to save yourself.

ETA: And no: against a dozen or more fanatics after your food or water or your wife... a .38 special in revolver or semi-auto format is no where near as helpful as a 30-round AR-15 rifle. A shotgun, even a 12 ga pump, only holds between 4-6 rounds depending on make and model.

God forbid you ever have to USE it (and the LA Riot situation I can't find any reports saying the did.. just the mere presence of force was enough of a deterrant) - but if you DO have to use it.. 30 Rounds beats 6 any day of the week when fighting a mob.

Last edited by fatalsaint; 2008-11-10 at 21:09.

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
But you do have the right to not have the stuff you've worked hard for and paid for and own to not be stolen from you in any circumstance.

As I said before.. as long as you are perfectly OK with the fact that any emergency preparation kits that you have for disasters or whatever - being stolen and having you and your family left for dead, killed, or starving..

Then so be it. But I procure my food and my water and my emergency kits so that my family can survive a natural disaster. That doesn't include you unless I conjure it does... and you don't have the right to barge into my home or my store and just take whatever you want because you failed to prepare for it yourself. Just because there happens to be a natural disaster running around doesn't grant you, or anyone, the right to just trample over everyone else around you to save yourself.
Again, I am not saying you cannot protect yourself, I just said you don't need an AK47 or an uzi or a mac 10 to do this. You can protect them just the same with standard hunting weapons, can't you? I am pretty sure if you have 40 people attacking your home, your already ucked, because you can be sure that some if them will have guns too.
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.