Notices

Posts: 287 | Thanked: 127 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by msa View Post
what camera has a rolling shutter? the n900-camera???
if so, how do you "use" it on purpose?

judging by the comments and tags this was shot with a n900...
Yes, the camera in the N900. As for how to "use" it, just take a picture of something moving really fast. See also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolling_shutter

Banned | Posts: 291 | Thanked: 42 times | Joined on Dec 2009
Just out of curiosity: what would a file size of a RAW file be for a 5MP camera like the one on the N900? Anyone has an older DSLR with 5MP and can give some estimates?

Posts: 182 | Thanked: 540 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Finland
Depends on RAW data format. First, it depends on BAYER pixel depth (8, 10, 12, ...), second -- on encoding used to represent pixel stream. Considering a simple case of BAYER8 and BAYER10 (8 bit per pixel and 10 bit per pixel) with no compression, it would be 1 byte per pixel or 2 bytes per pixel accordingly. So for 5MPix picture with BAYER8 image size, a size of RAW data would be 5000000 bytes, around 4.76MiB.

However, it is only a raw data from sensor, it does not include any metadata associated with the image. If you would save RAW file as many cameras do, in TIFF container, metadata would probably occupy another 2-4KiB. Not a big number compared to raw data itself.

For BAYER10 without any compression it would double the size of raw data, i.e. 10000000 bytes, around 9.54MiB.

If any compression technique is used, file size generally would be smaller.

The Following User Says Thank You to abbra For This Useful Post:
Posts: 237 | Thanked: 157 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ San Diego, CA
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
Megahertzes mean nothing in this context. A specialized DSP/FPGA found in a midrange DSLR can easily outperform even a multi-gigahertz multi-core desktop processor at specific tasks. There was actually some talk about this at the summit - it was told the current time required to capture an image is a balance - if you would wait 10 minutes for an image, you would a lot better looking images. If you want quicker capture, quality will suffer.
I'm not intimately familiar with DSP's and FPGA's but the n900 does include a DSP, not sure if it would be usable to offload any of the processing here for image work.

It's a C64x+ DSP according to Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_I...0#C6000_Series

Posts: 138 | Thanked: 43 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Vancouver Island, Canada
Originally Posted by ohwut View Post
While I agree RAW would be great, I don't think we'll get manual control. I believe all camera phones have fixed apertures, focal lengths, and shutter speeds, generally around 4.7mm and f2.8. The only variable are the glass elements movement for the Auto Focus and ISO for different lighting conditions.

Though...I would love to see maybe a scroll bar, or a ring on the side of the screen to control focus distance.
Did some shooting this afternoon and evening with the N900 and one thing that seems to be missing is auto-exposure lock which is a feature of DSLR and better P&S cameras that I use ALL the time.

The Following User Says Thank You to bgrigor For This Useful Post:
Posts: 138 | Thanked: 43 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Vancouver Island, Canada
Originally Posted by OrangeBox View Post
Just out of curiosity: what would a file size of a RAW file be for a 5MP camera like the one on the N900? Anyone has an older DSLR with 5MP and can give some estimates?
My Canon G2 is a 4 MP camera (2272 x 1704) and produces RAW files in Canon .CRW format ranging from 1.9 MB to 3.3 MB. The compression is lossless. One might expext a 5 MP camera to produce RAW files about 20% larger than that. The amount of compression depends on the "randomness" of the image, the less random the image, the more it can be compressed.

Hi, I have a problem when trying to run the example_camera.c on n900.

I could compile the program correctly, but when I tried to run it on device, it showed "Failed to initialize pipeline ". The following is part of the code:
Code:
#ifdef __arm__
#define VIDEO_SRC "v4l2camsrc"
#define VIDEO_SINK "xvimagesink"
#else
#define VIDEO_SRC "videotestsrc"
#define VIDEO_SINK "ximagesink"
#endif
who can figure out what is the problem?

Tags
camera, interface, manual, n900, slr