Notices

Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
@ade,

Some feedback:
(1) while the portrait layout indeed looks good, in landscape mode a few pixels at the bottom of each of the three timers are cut.

(2) if I add a new timer and hit SAVE and then go to the "choose dish" button I only see the previously saved items, but not the new one. Using the "Save config" option does not make it appear either. I have to close the program and start it again.

(3) I start a timer and then stop it manually. The remaining time is still visible. I then click on the "Time (hh:mi)" button but then cancel it (click outside the window). The remaining time is not there anymore, but the original time.

OK (3) is not really a bug or anything, but somewhat inconsistent behaviour.

Regarding (1), I'm using the HydroCarbon theme. Not sure if the font sizes on cooktimer are hard-coded or if there are affected by the theme (I'll try switching to a built-in theme and see what happens).

Cheers. Although I can only cook like a man (in the bad sense of the word), my wife frequently asks me to set-up a timer while cooking, so your app is indeed useful for me

The Following User Says Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
Posts: 424 | Thanked: 196 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sweden
How much CPU does it consume?
My experience from other countdown-timers is that thay consume alot CPU counting seconds as I understand.

Posts: 1,100 | Thanked: 2,797 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by reinob View Post
@ade,

Some feedback:
(1) while the portrait layout indeed looks good, in landscape mode a few pixels at the bottom of each of the three timers are cut.
Not on my phone. Maybe the choosen theme has an influence on that. I use hardcoded fontsizes to answer your question. Will have al look at it.
(2) if I add a new timer and hit SAVE and then go to the "choose dish" button I only see the previously saved items, but not the new one. Using the "Save config" option does not make it appear either. I have to close the program and start it again.
Correct, the item list is not updated after a change of the items, it needs a restart. If it is not too much trouble I will make it update on the fly.

(3) I start a timer and then stop it manually. The remaining time is still visible. I then click on the "Time (hh:mi)" button but then cancel it (click outside the window). The remaining time is not there anymore, but the original time.

OK (3) is not really a bug or anything, but somewhat inconsistent behaviour.
There is no such thing as resume/pause. So the remaining time shown is not valid anymore after a stop. To make it more consistent I could set it back to the starttime after stop is pressed.

Regarding (1), I'm using the HydroCarbon theme. Not sure if the font sizes on cooktimer are hard-coded or if there are affected by the theme (I'll try switching to a built-in theme and see what happens).
Could very well be caused by this

Originally Posted by toxaris
How much CPU does it consume?
My experience from other countdown-timers is that thay consume alot CPU counting seconds as I understand.
I do not have the impression it consumes much CPU. I will do some measurement for you.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ade For This Useful Post:
@ade,

Thanks for your reply. I will also check (1) when I get home.
(2) would be nice to fix, but it's not critical (but I'd still say it's a bug).

Re. (3) yes, I would expect that the counter goes back to the initial!

Thanks a lot!

Posts: 1,163 | Thanked: 1,873 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ The Netherlands
Unfornately it doesn't ring when silent profile is enabled.
For an Alarm I think it has to ring wether the phone has silent profile selected or General. Because an alarm is there to help you remind something, guess what happens when the normal alarm was silenced when silent profile was active. I would be many times to late :P

And I have to agree with Reinob about point 3. It's a bit incosistent. While the remaining time is visible you expect it continues but instead it starts over again. Stop should immediatly reset the time IMO

Thank you for this wonderful timer

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mr_pingu For This Useful Post:
@toxaris
I monitored the CPU usage somewhat, and the load is not significant. About 1,5% when one timer is running to 3,5% when all timers are active.

@mr_pingu
Confirmed that there is no alarm sound when the silent profile is active. Maybe I should use the mafw framework, but I "solved" it as follows: if cooktime detects the silent profile is active, it will play the alarmsound via mplayer if available (but depending on the current volume settings).

@Reinob
After pushing stop, remaining time will now switch back to the start value.
I did not test other themes regarding the few lost pixels. Did you test it in the meantime?
The instant update of the item-list I gave up for now. I had problems with lost index list positions and removed that part from the code after trying for quit a while.

The new version should be in the repo any time now.

The Following User Says Thank You to ade For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ade View Post
@mr_pingu
Confirmed that there is no alarm sound when the silent profile is active. Maybe I should use the mafw framework, but I "solved" it as follows: if cooktime detects the silent profile is active, it will play the alarmsound via mplayer if available (but depending on the current volume settings).
Isn't it too bold to use mplayer as semi-dependency? If there is no other way, maybe just warn people (in package description) that it doesn't ring in silent profile?

Most programs (even games) can't make sound while silent profile is active, and no one seems to be worried about that too much.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,163 | Thanked: 1,873 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ The Netherlands
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Isn't it too bold to use mplayer as semi-dependency? If there is no other way, maybe just warn people (in package description) that it doesn't ring in silent profile?

Most programs (even games) can't make sound while silent profile is active, and no one seems to be worried about that too much.

/Estel
I understand what you say but for an application that is there to remember you of something, I think it should alarm under all circumstances.
Alarming through sound is a quite vital feature for alarms/timers. For games, the gameplay (ex few exceptions)isn't hurt by no sound. Ofcourse the game experience may be hurt, though.

I don't know much but would using libalarm an solution? It's just a shout coming from the library name, without any real knowledge about what libalarm really does...

The Following User Says Thank You to mr_pingu For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ade View Post
@toxaris
@Reinob
After pushing stop, remaining time will now switch back to the start value.
I did not test other themes regarding the few lost pixels. Did you test it in the meantime?
I just checked with the Digital Nature and Nokia Nseries themes and I still have the lost pixels.

I cannot attach any screenshots at the moment. Seems I messed up the USB mass storage mode when tweaking the partitions.. when I'm home I'll do that per ssh and post them.

The Following User Says Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mr_pingu View Post
I understand what you say but for an application that is there to remember you of something, I think it should alarm under all circumstances.
Alarming through sound is a quite vital feature for alarms/timers. For games, the gameplay (ex few exceptions)isn't hurt by no sound. Ofcourse the game experience may be hurt, though.

I don't know much but would using libalarm an solution? It's just a shout coming from the library name, without any real knowledge about what libalarm really does...
I agree on your point about alarm notifications. The alarm framework would go way to far for just a simple timer in terms of complexity.

I estimate the group of people that: use cooktimer, have there profile on silent during use of cooktimer and do not have mplayer installed is extremely small. Theoretically you could then also keep your phone with you and rely on the vibrate function.

The Following User Says Thank You to ade For This Useful Post:

Tags
cooktimer, nokia n900